Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Civic with jerky trottle; rev bounces at 1.5k

Old 11-08-2008, 09:04 PM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cleanEK is a jewel in the roughcleanEK is a jewel in the roughcleanEK is a jewel in the roughcleanEK is a jewel in the roughcleanEK is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Civic with jerky trottle; rev bounces at 1.5k

Originally Posted by Scottyk6
I'm not sure what parts are in my engine. I know that the guy had a GSR in it before the LS went it (he kept the GSR to put in his new project), so I'm not sure what parts he swapped out when he did the swap.

But shoot, I'd buy your car just for the quality work done on the ECU swap, I'm pretty jealous right now. Haha. Actually done the non-cheapo way.

Right.

The ecu swap is just an LS ecu with a obd2 to obd1 conversion harness. Obd1 is great for tuning.
Old 11-08-2008, 09:07 PM
Full-time New Guy

Scottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by cleanEK
Right.

The ecu swap is just an LS ecu with a obd2 to obd1 conversion harness. Obd1 is great for tuning.
I know it's a simple thing, just wished the guy before me bought a conversion harness.
Old 11-08-2008, 09:17 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

But shoot, I'd buy your car just for the quality work done on the ECU swap, I'm pretty jealous right now. Haha. Actually done the non-cheapo way.
It's nothing that can't be fixed, you just have to figure out what's wrong. If it's an OBD1 ECU, you can read the codes yourself. There is a service check connector under the dash, and if jump a paper clip between the two terminals the codes will flash long and short blinks of the CEL light on the dash. Depending on the ECU (JDM ECUs usually don't apply here) there will be an LED visible through a little window on the ECU that will flash out the codes also. Google "OBD1 Honda CEL codes" or something like that and you should find tons of writeups on how to make the ECU flash out the codes and how to interpret what those codes are.
Old 11-08-2008, 09:17 PM
Registered member

cleanEK is a jewel in the roughcleanEK is a jewel in the roughcleanEK is a jewel in the roughcleanEK is a jewel in the roughcleanEK is a jewel in the rough

I know it's a simple thing, just wished the guy before me bought a conversion harness.
You don't need one though. The conversion harness is after the ecu. If you are using an obd2 ecu in an obd1 car then yes you would need it. If you have an obd2 motor, but still using the obd1 ls ecu. You wont need it.

For example, my car is obd2 and my motor is obd2. But I'm using an obd1 ecu, therefore I need a conversion harness.
Old 11-08-2008, 09:18 PM
Registered member

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
It's nothing that can't be fixed, you just have to figure out what's wrong. If it's an OBD1 ECU, you can read the codes yourself. There is a service check connector under the dash, and if jump a paper clip between the two terminals the codes will flash long and short blinks of the CEL light on the dash. Depending on the ECU (JDM ECUs usually don't apply here) there will be an LED visible through a little window on the ECU that will flash out the codes also. Google "OBD1 Honda CEL codes" or something like that and you should find tons of writeups on how to make the ECU flash out the codes and how to interpret what those codes are.
I was hoping you were going to chime in on how do it, obd1 style. I couldnt remember the exact way to do it.
Old 11-08-2008, 09:20 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

I haven't done it in probably 5 or 6 years, but I still remember more or less.
Old 11-08-2008, 09:21 PM
Registered member

I haven't done it in probably 5 or 6 years, but I still remember more or less.
Lol yeah, I've had my 99 for the better part of 2 years and anytime I throw a check engine its off to autozone to get it scanned lol
Old 11-08-2008, 09:26 PM
Racetracks

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=978933

Full info, there you go.
Old 11-08-2008, 09:32 PM
Registered member

Good stuff

+rep
Old 11-08-2008, 09:36 PM
Full-time New Guy

Scottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by cleanEK
You don't need one though. The conversion harness is after the ecu. If you are using an obd2 ecu in an obd1 car then yes you would need it. If you have an obd2 motor, but still using the obd1 ls ecu. You wont need it.

For example, my car is obd2 and my motor is obd2. But I'm using an obd1 ecu, therefore I need a conversion harness.
Oh I see, I see.
Ah, thank you very much. I'm hoping I have an OBD1 ECU. I remember reading about checking for codes by yourself a while ago when I was first interested in getting the light to turn off, but never did it. Probably going to check them Monday.

Quick Reply: Civic with jerky trottle; rev bounces at 1.5k