Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Corrado VR6 Turbo Questions

Old 07-18-2006, 06:27 PM
Yup, jolly poopbuggy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey
Default Re: Corrado VR6 Turbo Questions

Originally Posted by G60ING
show me a link where it says this and then I won't claim bullshit until then I'll wave the flag. fyi the north american corrados got the motor at the same time as the european market
I've already put the feeler out there for the article. I know I've read it before in a VR6 history.
Old 07-18-2006, 06:48 PM
Registered Member

sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue

I'm not disagreeing on the tuning with you but I've seen a shit load of built motors with professional tuning come up forsale after having had a new set of rings installed. its all andictotal data but its sure is interesting. If you want to buy the car and prove me wrong that Turbo VRs when tuned right won't eat piston rings then by all means buyit and prove me wrong. If I'm right you will have bought the best rollercoaster ride of a nightmare.
like i said i would never buy a car like that which I didn't build myself. Of coarse its gonna be a huge nightmare. So what exactly are these cars being tuned on anyways? If its a piggy back of some sorts where you cant alter timing then i can see why people's shit blows up. Otherwise they really should be able to handle the abuse unless people are trying to make rediculous power on them.
Old 07-19-2006, 02:39 AM
Corrado Butcher

G60ING is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sohc_mshue
like i said i would never buy a car like that which I didn't build myself. Of coarse its gonna be a huge nightmare. So what exactly are these cars being tuned on anyways? If its a piggy back of some sorts where you cant alter timing then i can see why people's shit blows up. Otherwise they really should be able to handle the abuse unless people are trying to make rediculous power on them.
most of the people I know are using SDS and a dyno, C2 chips, or electromotive.
Old 07-19-2006, 07:01 AM
Registered Member

sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue

so the tuning should be fine then
Old 07-19-2006, 07:47 AM
HHIC

Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite

Originally Posted by Corey
What is funny is that the car that TheGentleArt is refering to was tuned by Rich and his company EIP. These are Flite's favorite people in the world.

In my opinion, EIP is solely responsible for any bad reputation for VR turbos

I'm not disagreeing on the tuning with you but I've seen a shit load of built motors with professional tuning come up forsale after having had a new set of rings installed. its all andictotal data but its sure is interesting. If you want to buy the car and prove me wrong that Turbo VRs when tuned right won't eat piston rings then by all means buyit and prove me wrong. If I'm right you will have bought the best rollercoaster ride of a nightmare.

most of the people I know are using SDS and a dyno, C2 chips, or electromotive.

Most people in the VW VR6 world are using C2 chips. There aren't a whole lot of people out there running stand alone on their VR6s. Keep in mind that any motor that is built to make <200bhp that is modified to upwards of 350-400 or more hp has a lot better chnce of slowing losing compression than it would if left stock.

The problem I see with VWs is the owners not knowing the consequences of adding another pound or two of boost. If a particular setup is dyno tuned to run 10psi, don't push it. People push it. Also, you're leaving out EIP in that list of "tuning" examples and I think they are responsible for a lot of misshaps in the VR6 world. If you really look into it hard, most seriously problamatic VR turbos are EIP cars.

For the people that DO run stand alone, a big issue comes with how they tune it. VR6s do NOT like a whole lot of timing. I've heard from TONS of people to check out the honda-tech boards for tuning tips. If you run as much timing on a VR6 as people do on a well build honda, you're going to detonate.

On the other hand, my car for example runs extremely conservative timing, rich a/f and hasn't seen past 11psi (and that was only twice, normally it's 9psi I drive around on). There're people out there running 25psi plus on the same setup I have along with aggressive timing curves and fuel trims. If you take these things for what they are and treat them as such, they'll last forever. If you treat them like a dime-a-dosen turbo B18, they'll bite you in the ass.

Last edited by Flite; 07-19-2006 at 07:50 AM.
Old 07-19-2006, 01:00 PM
Banned

F22SWP is an unknown quantity at this point

I believe it has stand alone fuel management, but ill check
Old 07-19-2006, 01:30 PM
HHIC

Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite

Originally Posted by F22SWP
I believe it has stand alone fuel management, but ill check

If he's claiming 700whp, he most definantly has stand alone. I will personally guarentee that the car in question isn't making that much power though.