Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Crank bolt from hell!!

Old 06-17-2009, 07:04 AM
fraggle rock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kyle h. will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Crank bolt from hell!!

bigger impact gun
Old 06-17-2009, 07:47 AM
Registered Member

SOHC has disabled reputation

first let me say that i've never tried this...but a mechanic i used to take my car recommended this: attach a breaker bar to the bolt and turn it so that it is securely resting on a strong part of the frame of the car. turn the key for just an instant, thus breaking the bolt loose...even if the crank turns the wrong way (to tighten the bolt) it'll be moved enough to make extracting it a bit easier. i know that the mechanical advantage of the starter/flywheel/crank is insane.

I guess theoretically it would work, but i just shove a screwdriver in my flywheel and kick the breaker bar to get that bolt off.
good luck!
Old 06-17-2009, 07:49 AM
I have a 20 valve...

crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx

Originally Posted by SOHC
first let me say that i've never tried this...but a mechanic i used to take my car recommended this: attach a breaker bar to the bolt and turn it so that it is securely resting on a strong part of the frame of the car. turn the key for just an instant, thus breaking the bolt loose...even if the crank turns the wrong way (to tighten the bolt) it'll be moved enough to make extracting it a bit easier. i know that the mechanical advantage of the starter/flywheel/crank is insane.

I guess theoretically it would work, but i just shove a screwdriver in my flywheel and kick the breaker bar to get that bolt off.
good luck!
shut the fuck up and never post again. this is the stupidest thing you could ever do. everytime I have seen this dumb ass set up, nothing good has come of it.

as for your bolt, good luck getting it out.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:45 AM
ohh yea

integrab17 has disabled reputation
Talking Re: Crank bolt from hell!!

good luck!
lmaoo
Old 06-17-2009, 08:46 AM
Fidel runs VBPD

The_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud of

good luck!
if that would work an impact would've worked, not to mention I've never seen that idea actually work.

and 255ft/lb impact? quit buying tools from walmart
Old 06-17-2009, 08:50 AM
TheMuhFuggin♂

burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy

IR 2135QTi + press the trigger = crank bolt removed.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:12 AM
Holding my Breath

stillsuspended has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Originally Posted by burnoutboy
IR 2135QTi + press the trigger = crank bolt removed.
I think I am about there!!!
Old 06-17-2009, 11:13 AM
DURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

The Wok The Wok The Wok The Wok The Wok The Wok The Wok The Wok The Wok The Wok The Wok

Use the starter, as described.

Or get a real impact.
Old 06-17-2009, 05:44 PM
OM NOM NOM E30

JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87

yea ive seen a guy sheer off his pulley using the starter method...wouldnt recommend.
Old 06-17-2009, 05:47 PM
baller/dickbutt#69

nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn

to do the starter method you have to be damn sure the motor turns the correct direction to undo the bolt....if it shears it off they you are screwed....

Quick Reply: Crank bolt from hell!!