Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Crank Pulley

Old 03-04-2004, 07:17 PM
Home, finally

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Citium2012 Citium2012 Citium2012 Citium2012 Citium2012 Citium2012 Citium2012 Citium2012 Citium2012 Citium2012 Citium2012
Default Crank Pulley

What does an aftermarket crank pulley do? HP gains? Timing? Not sure, lost, new to the speed aspect of the import scene... always had gone for ''show'' up til this point. Thanks all.
-Chris
Old 03-04-2004, 07:25 PM
ScrewD010

Mikahl is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Crank Pulley

I've been reading on that too, just for a short explanation:

UnderDrive Pulley
-Same size as stock usually
-Slows down alternator so frees up some drivetrain loss, which basically means it frees up from 10-15bhp, and possibly 5whp.

The lightweight pulley
-lighter then stock pulley
-Since it's lighter frees up some drivtrain loss, and frees up your hp same as underdrive, but w/o slowing down your alternator.

Just FYI: Since the underdrive slows down your alternator, it wont charge your battery as fast, so if you have a good soundsystem and not using a capacitor, you may need one, or look for an optima yellow battery.

Basically I'm forgetting about the the battery/pulley because of an article I read, the consequences/results far outweigh the hp gain to the wheels. I'll post the link if I find it if you want...
Old 03-05-2004, 03:44 AM
brake/steer/throttle

ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek

a capacitor will NOT make-up for an alternator that isn't charging the way it should. even if the alternator were spinning @ the proper rpm, if the alternator doesn't have the output that would support a large stereo system, a capacitor will NOT help. a capacitor is placed into the system to help with transient response. that is why the pioneers of the use of them used them. not even an optima yellow top will 'save' you.

lightweight crank pullies can cause a problem with the overall balance of the rotating assembly.
Old 03-05-2004, 08:01 AM
Ivy Tadita

cootees will become famous soon enoughcootees will become famous soon enough

Basically what Mikahl said, they are lightweight and sometimes adjustable so you can fine tune it better. The lightweight in return allows the belt to rotate it a lot easier in return higher rpms!! So thats basically it. Just make sure if you go that route to not get a cheap pulley. That pulley is not something you want to break off.
Old 03-05-2004, 08:20 AM
1505/2000

execelon execelon execelon execelon execelon execelon execelon execelon execelon execelon execelon

they are usually a smaller size. yes light weight helps but it won't turn you alternater slower. unless they make the crank pulley smaller or make the alternator,ac, ps, etc. pulleys bigger. then it's not a under drive pulley its just a light weight pulley...
Old 03-05-2004, 08:30 AM
psycho jungle cat

Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift

Thanks for the responses everyone, you've been real helpful. I installed a stage II turbo kit from Star Performance and would like to put this pulley on as well as some cam gears. How would cam gears better my performance? And would it be good for me to install both cam gears and pulley, or have it done professionally??? Thanks.
-Chris
Old 03-05-2004, 08:31 AM
Home, finally

Citium2012 Citium2012 Citium2012 Citium2012 Citium2012 Citium2012 Citium2012 Citium2012 Citium2012 Citium2012 Citium2012

whoops! I was under the wrong name, but, still I ask the same question. Thanks.
-Chris
Old 03-05-2004, 08:33 AM
wtb scoobie snacks

musicmaniac is on a distinguished road

also dunno if it was mentioned but make sure it has a harmonic balancer unless u blueprint and balance ur motor
Old 03-05-2004, 08:39 AM
Ivy Tadita

cootees will become famous soon enoughcootees will become famous soon enough

Was it going on your talon? Unless you have the right tools it can be a bear. Look at all of your belts. I'm not so sure about the 420a but I know the 4g63 there is a lot of stuff you have to take off to get down to the crank pulley. On the 4g63 there are about 3 extra drive belts and then your timing belt. Plus several pulleys that need to be removed. Then putting it all back together you need to make sure you have the timing set right before cranking it too much cause you don't want to bend a valve. It's can be a hassle if you don't know what you are doing.

As far as replacing the cam gears. I would go ahead and change them, I believe buschur makes some good ones for your motor. for info on how to do the work check www.vfaq.com or www.2gnt.com
Old 03-05-2004, 09:04 AM
1505/2000

execelon execelon execelon execelon execelon execelon execelon execelon execelon execelon execelon

Originally Posted by cootees
Was it going on your talon? Unless you have the right tools it can be a bear. Look at all of your belts. I'm not so sure about the 420a but I know the 4g63 there is a lot of stuff you have to take off to get down to the crank pulley. On the 4g63 there are about 3 extra drive belts and then your timing belt. Plus several pulleys that need to be removed. Then putting it all back together you need to make sure you have the timing set right before cranking it too much cause you don't want to bend a valve. It's can be a hassle if you don't know what you are doing.

As far as replacing the cam gears. I would go ahead and change them, I believe buschur makes some good ones for your motor. for info on how to do the work check www.vfaq.com or www.2gnt.com
huh it's 3 belts and there is 4 bolts holding the crank pulley on there is no messing with the t-belt unless your doing cam gears

chris i wouldn't do any pulleys on your car because you have audio. cam gears are a waste unless your planning to get on the dyno with them and actual tune the thing.
did you get a exhaust? anything to make the turbo more efficient

Quick Reply: Crank Pulley