Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Cranking/Alternator/Starter/What could It be??

Old 08-01-2011, 06:25 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy.
Default Re: Cranking/Alternator/Starter/What could It be??

Originally Posted by Treyzers15
It does both actually. Some times It wants to just click. After trying 3-6 times It'll finally crank for about 4 secounds then start up. I ran a diagnostic on It and I got code P0406 which is for a EGR valve. I'm relally not so sure what that would have to do with any of this truth be told. Especially gauges dead for 5 secounds.
In a dodge I think the gauges end up registering after it is running. I'm thinking it is your starter. Like I said next time it does it beat on it and see if it works right. If so then it's your starter.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:08 AM
Skraight.

Fasterthanthem has a reputation beyond reputeFasterthanthem has a reputation beyond reputeFasterthanthem has a reputation beyond reputeFasterthanthem has a reputation beyond reputeFasterthanthem has a reputation beyond reputeFasterthanthem has a reputation beyond reputeFasterthanthem has a reputation beyond reputeFasterthanthem has a reputation beyond reputeFasterthanthem has a reputation beyond repute

I'm having this same issue with my 240sx. Shit sucks.

My battery was bad, but that still didn't fix the issue.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:51 AM
Registered Member

Treyzers15 has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Fasterthanthem
I'm having this same issue with my 240sx. Shit sucks.

My battery was bad, but that still didn't fix the issue.
If I find out what the problem Is before you I'll definitely let you know.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:55 AM
Banned

BlownLS1 BlownLS1 BlownLS1 BlownLS1 BlownLS1 BlownLS1 BlownLS1 BlownLS1 BlownLS1 BlownLS1 BlownLS1

Originally Posted by Treyzers15
So how can I tell which one It Is then? I refuse to pull the negative off my battery while my car Is running, that test just seems beyond stupid.
Explain your statement.

And take it to the dealer. I support my comment with this, I dealt with issues like your experiencing for a month. The end result was a bad ECU/PCM. I replaced tons of sensors and relays to no avail. I took it to the dealer paid the diagnostic and now I have no problems (starting and driving the car).
Old 08-01-2011, 09:57 AM
Registered Member

Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy.

Originally Posted by BlownLS1
Explain your statement.

And take it to the dealer. I support my comment with this, I dealt with issues like your experiencing for a month. The end result was a bad ECU/PCM. I replaced tons of sensors and relays to no avail. I took it to the dealer paid the diagnostic and now I have no problems (starting and driving the car).
If it was a dodge with a bad ecu he wouldn't have been able to even pull a code. When you hook the scanner up to a dodge with a bad ecu it will pop as as no connection.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:03 AM
Banned

BlownLS1 BlownLS1 BlownLS1 BlownLS1 BlownLS1 BlownLS1 BlownLS1 BlownLS1 BlownLS1 BlownLS1 BlownLS1

Originally Posted by REDROCKETEER
If it was a dodge with a bad ecu he wouldn't have been able to even pull a code. When you hook the scanner up to a dodge with a bad ecu it will pop as as no connection.

Touche...

I'll take your word for it I don't ever deal with them for the aforementioned posts.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:04 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by BlownLS1
Touche...

I'll take your word for it I don't ever deal with them for the aforementioned posts.
Dodges are about the only ones that will do it.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:08 AM
Banned

Lol ill have to try to remember that for possublr future refrence. I'd still like OP to explain the stupidty of that simple effective test.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:35 AM
Lemonparty.org

CHUBBS_09 CHUBBS_09 CHUBBS_09 CHUBBS_09 CHUBBS_09 CHUBBS_09 CHUBBS_09 CHUBBS_09 CHUBBS_09 CHUBBS_09 CHUBBS_09

is it clicking or grinding? Just throwing out another suggestion it could be a bad flex plate missing/deformed teeth, since it only happens sometimes, like when it lines up with the bad teeth on the plate?
Old 08-01-2011, 12:08 PM
nothin2tucknstillTDB

shonanspeed shonanspeed shonanspeed shonanspeed shonanspeed shonanspeed shonanspeed shonanspeed shonanspeed shonanspeed shonanspeed

Originally Posted by CHUBBS_09
is it clicking or grinding? Just throwing out another suggestion it could be a bad flex plate missing/deformed teeth, since it only happens sometimes, like when it lines up with the bad teeth on the plate?
He'd probably be freaking out a whole lot more if it was flex plate teeth. It makes the car sound like it's trying to fire backwards or is just plain dying.
So it's just clicking, not wanting to turn over, he floors it and it starts...sounds like someone yanked the dodge motor out and replaced it with a rotary.

Last edited by shonanspeed; 08-01-2011 at 12:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Cranking/Alternator/Starter/What could It be??