Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

DA/DB Suspension Discussion

Old 09-06-2006, 09:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma
DA/DB Suspension Discussion

I am planning on modifying the suspension of my 92 GS-R. The KYB GR-2 gas shocks look to be the best option (price/quality), but looking for good springs is another issue, then the alignment issue.
I was thinking about buying a cheap coil-over set from eBay and just use the coils with my stock springs to lower the car maybe an inch or so. Has anyone done this? Experiences with this mod?

With the car lower the camber will get pretty crazy, so I was thinking about shimming the rear suspension and maybe the front? Or would it be better to get the adjustables all around?

In the future the ABS will be removed to make room for a strut bar up front, I heard Nuespeed has a great design, opinions/comments? Strut bar recommendations for the rear?

I did some research and came across the numbers on the stock sway bars, I noticed the GS-R has a lighter sway bar in the rear than the GS/RS/LS, I am thinking about swapping one for cheap and selling my old one, would this help with the body roll significantly in the rear? or would it be better to go with an aftermarket one? I don't want it to get so heavy that the rear swings out too much than it already wants to.

The tie-rods will be replaced with stock ones for now, I'm not doing anything that will need really aggressive ones, byut for future reference which ones are a good quality/price?

Bushings... new ones all around for this set-up, I have read about problems with the trailing arms in the rear cuasing a "wierd" feeling with the stronger inserts, OEM good enough?

Thanks for looking
Old 09-06-2006, 10:30 AM
Speak&Spell Anyone?

Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell
Default Re: DA/DB Suspension Discussion

What are you talking about when you say "PUT THE COIL OVERS ON THE STOCK SPRING TO LOWER IT AN INCH OR SO" I don't get it. That would raise the car up! Don't go cheap! You can get skunk 2 springs for a decent price and they ride damn nice! My car has them and they ride great!

Regarding the sway bars: I have a set omni sway bars I will let go for 100 bucks! You will be better than stock then buddy!
Old 09-06-2006, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Uh_Dave
What are you talking about when you say "PUT THE COIL OVERS ON THE STOCK SPRING TO LOWER IT AN INCH OR SO" I don't get it. That would raise the car up! Don't go cheap! You can get skunk 2 springs for a decent price and they ride damn nice! My car has them and they ride great!

Regarding the sway bars: I have a set omni sway bars I will let go for 100 bucks! You will be better than stock then buddy!
Hey, if I can get a ride in your Teg that might help me decide. The sway bars, I don't want to mess with since I could throw the balance of the car way off.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:47 AM
braap braap

Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod

Trevor,

Alignment, come to my work. I'll hook you up with either my brother or my boy. Both will do the alignment, print it out, and adjust your camber if you have a camber kit.

Bushings, I have no complaints about my Energy Suspension bushings, I noticed a difference, but then again, my stock bushings had 150,000 miles on them.

I haven't done the rear yet, but I will agree about the trailing arm bushings. Don't do them. It's a waste of money. Just get O.E., and to be honest, you may just do O.E. all around. I think the E.S kit is cheaper though.

And IMO, don't cheap on the struts/springs.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:51 AM
UNCEUNCEUNCEUNCEUNCE

boyband boyband boyband boyband boyband boyband boyband boyband boyband boyband boyband

When doing suspension, upgrade one thing at a time, so as to not upset the balance of the car.

Do the shocks first. Then your springs/coilovers. Of course align the car. Then drive the car around for awhile. Slowly start adding stiffening components, one at a time. You may find that you'll only want bars in the rear and nothing up front, etc. It's a very delicate game when it comes to suspension tuning.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:54 AM
throwbAcura

dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22

It isn't exactly "balanced" when it's stock anyway. But as long as you upgrade the front swaybars along with the rear you'll be fine. Try a matched set like ST. But do't buy any sway bars until you lower it. You may find that reduces body roll enough. Depends on your preference.

The Neuspeed is pretty much the best bang for the buck STB for DAs. You don't have to remove your ABS, though. Just about anyone can relocate the box with a custom bracket.

GR2s are crap on the front of DAs. You'll get way more drop in the front than in the rear. AGX front/GR2 rear would be a better way to go.

Shimming the rear is fine. Washers will work. Just don't put more than one or two on each side. You'll have to get a kit for the front... or just learn to love camber.

Avoid cheap "coilovers." Just save until you can get a good set of springs. Look for H&R Sports on ebay. They're pretty cheap, the quality is there, and you'll be happy with the drop.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:56 AM
throwbAcura

For bushings, you can't go wrong with the ES master kit. If you're worried about a certain bushing making it feel strange, just replace that bushing with a new OEM one.
Old 09-06-2006, 11:13 AM
Speak&Spell Anyone?

Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell

Originally Posted by Enigma
Hey, if I can get a ride in your Teg that might help me decide. The sway bars, I don't want to mess with since I could throw the balance of the car way off.
well It is being sold today so I don't think you will be able to do that.

And the sway bars shouldn't throw it off I wouldn't think. All depends on what your going for. But I love skunk 2!
Old 09-06-2006, 11:14 AM

The AGX are the adjustables, they go for $100 ea ($200 for the front), the GR2's go for about $80 ea. ($160 rear). Not bad, but besides being adjustable, what is the advantage with the AGX up-front and the GR2 in the back? Would AGX all-around be better suited?

The ABS is coming out! I almost wrecked my baby a couple times before I pulled the fuse.. then wow! The car actually stopped! Nuespeed would be the company of choice for the strut bars.

I think I might just get the shocks first then see what's up for springs, as I think the OEM shock/struts are just worn out giving more body roll.

ES would be the only choice for bushings, except for the trailling arms.

I definitely want to get the rear sway bar from a GS/LS/RS to swap with mine to see the difference before lowering the car.

Jarrod, we need to get up at some point after I get my new dizzy installed and the Teg running again. I have a few more things to do in repairs (preventative maintainence) before changing things. Oh, and thanks for the hook-up

Trevor

Thanks to all that put in good info
Old 09-06-2006, 12:00 PM
throwbAcura

As far as I know there isn't an AGX application for the rear. That's why GR2s in the rear are the norm. I've got a pair of rear GR2s with maybe 10K miles on them I'll let go for cheap if you want 'em.

Quick Reply: DA/DB Suspension Discussion