Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

E-cut out/ hesitant under boost

Old 12-29-2009, 03:47 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue
Default Re: E-cut out/ hesitant under boost

I would get a retune before playing around with that cutout open. There is a good chance your tune is far off if your old exhaust setup was restrictive.
Old 12-29-2009, 03:50 PM
Slammedxpert

SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush

Matt,

I got him to go for a test drive last night, His boost is spiking from 14psi (set) to 20psi with the cut out open. I believe his exhaust is somewhat stockish, atleast the muffler I know is. But, I do not own or modify his car so I'm not 100%.
Old 12-29-2009, 04:03 PM
Registered Member

sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue

Yea i'm sure it is just hitting boost cut most likely. It is probably running very lean though if the exhaust it was tuned on is close to stock in diameter.
Old 12-29-2009, 04:04 PM
Slammedxpert

SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush

Originally Posted by sohc_mshue
Yea i'm sure it is just hitting boost cut most likely. It is probably running very lean though if the exhaust it was tuned on is close to stock in diameter.
True, but his car was tuned on 14psi. Not 20. LOL.

Something is causing it to spike, when the exhaust is open.
Old 12-29-2009, 04:06 PM
Registered Member

Yes that happens often when you open up the exhaust that much. What size wastegate and what spring is in there? Also how is the manifold design?
Old 12-29-2009, 04:12 PM
Slammedxpert

Tial wastegate
RC550 CC injectors
Master Power 57trim T3t4
Drag manifold
2.5 in downpipe
Drag intercooler and piping all flat black
Blitz BOV
P75 ECU on crome
Jumper harness 0bd2 to 0bd1
Walbro 255LPH pump
New manual boost controller
Car was Hennesey tuned on 10 psi

That's what I figured, but I'm curious to why it's spiking that much. I haven't physically looked at the car, just kinda tried to diag' it over the phone haha.
Old 12-29-2009, 04:37 PM
Registered Member

Slow EG8 has disabled reputation

if i were him i'd turn the boost controller down with the cutout open then just drive normal with the cutout closed...
Old 12-30-2009, 07:10 AM
Registered Member

hottscennessey has a spectacular aura abouthottscennessey has a spectacular aura abouthottscennessey has a spectacular aura about

Please, please, please get a wideband on it to be sure it's not going lean. Especially if it's comming from a 2.5" full exhaust.

Removing a restriction in the exhaust will more than likely allow more air to enter the engine, a MAP based ECU has no way to measure airflow, just pressure. Air could be entering the engine that the ECU can't 'see', and as a result can't add fuel for it.

Give me a call if you don't know anyone with a wideband, or if you don't know what you're looking for. I'd really hate to see a motor lost over something easily avoided.

Last edited by hottscennessey; 12-30-2009 at 07:15 AM.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:50 AM
NAZI mod

BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER

What size spring is in the wastegate?
Old 12-30-2009, 10:23 AM
braap braap

Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod

Originally Posted by SortaSUNK
That's what I figured, but I'm curious to why it's spiking that much. I haven't physically looked at the car, just kinda tried to diag' it over the phone haha.
Serious?

A) Drag manifolds aren't the best manifolds for controlling boost creep.
B) Opening up a exhaust from a small pipe to a big opening, is gonna allow the turbo to breathe more. Less restriction, more the motor can do work. If he had a boost controller, he could control it but that would defeat the purpose of the cutout.

Like Hennssey said, get hte bitch retuned. That is a big change in the tune. Not only is it on more psi but its spooling faster and I bet fuel isn't in the curve on the low side.

Quick Reply: E-cut out/ hesitant under boost