Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

ELECTRICAL ISSUE(S) !! !! 95 Integra GSR

Old 01-30-2010, 05:43 AM
p2r
!! Buy My Parts !!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
p2r has disabled reputation
Default Re: ELECTRICAL ISSUE(S) !! !! 95 Integra GSR

Originally Posted by b18b
You said you added/replaced ground straps. Where exactly did you add these?

Get some detail pictures of your engine bay maybe we can spot something you didn't catch.
-Thermostat housing
-Starter and wiring leading to and from it

Its snowing like mad right now, so I can't get pictures.

I replaced the transmission ground with a LARGE cable (from the frame rail -to- the transmission). I also replaced the ground going to the Valvecover with another OEM ground strap.
Old 01-30-2010, 05:48 AM
p2r
!! Buy My Parts !!

Originally Posted by 00civichatch
I'm with fabrik8 on this one. An ECT sensor acting like that normally means a grounding issue. With it being proportionately related to engine rpm under load, I would get under the car with a flashlight and check your harness on the back of the block under the intake manifold. Look to see if any part of the harness looks stretched. I'm thinking there is a possibility that the engine is moving when you are driving and pulling on a ground wire in the harness somewhere.
We've got power at the Thermostat Ground (3.1v max), so I think that we are leaking power to the chassis or engine.

I need to pick up my new longblock, and drop it in with my BRAND NEW Engine Harness, and see if that clears it up. If not, I'd imagine the problem isn't in the engine bay.

Thanks For EVERYONE'S Help !!
Old 01-30-2010, 09:32 AM
Registered Member

WheelPowerRacin has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by o.so.slow
sell it...
One word for you.....Karma
Old 01-30-2010, 09:53 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Ok, so here's the deal. You have a fresh battery, and the car won't start on its own. It sounds like everything is most likely working properly in the control circuits of the starting system, which usually means that there isn't enough current getting to the starter motor, etc. This is usually caused by a power or ground problem between the battery and wherever the connections for the starter motor are, like the engine block, etc. I've troubleshot many cars (including my WRX) that have had things like ground cable corrosion or a broken battery terminal or something similar that exhibited the exact same symptoms as your car.

The way to troubleshoot this is to get someone to try and start the car while you look for voltage drops. If you check from the negative battery terminal and some point on the engine block (it really doesn't matter where, because the whole block will usually be at the same potential) you should see almost no difference if everything is working properly. So that's looking between one ground and another ground. If you have ground problems, you'll see a fair amount of voltage difference between the block and the battery, which means there is a decent amount of resistance limiting the current flow. Do the same thing with the positive battery terminal and the lug/stud/whatever on the starter motor. Like I said, you won't necessarily see a voltage drop unless there is current flow, which is why you need someone to try and start the car.

If the battery is fresh, the engine doesn't start, and you're confident the starter works, you WILL find a current delivery problem somewhere.

The reason I specifically say to use the battery terminal (and not the battery cable clamp, etc) is that you want to look at the entire chain at once. If you look from the battery cable clamp to the block, you may be completely ignoring a bad connection from the battery terminal to the battery cable clamp, etc. So you want to look at as much stuff in the chain as possible, and when you see something abnormal than you can then start looking at individual things.

When you say you have power at the thermostat ground, what were you referencing that voltage to? Were you measuring voltage between the battery terminal, or where?

I don't think a new engine harness is going to solve anything if the problem is what I think it is, because it won't be replacing anything that is causing the problem.

I'm really trying to help you here, but it's very difficult without proper details on specifically what you're testing and where.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 01-30-2010 at 09:55 AM.
Old 01-31-2010, 02:23 PM
p2r
!! Buy My Parts !!

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Ok, so here's the deal. You have a fresh battery, and the car won't start on its own. It sounds like everything is most likely working properly in the control circuits of the starting system, which usually means that there isn't enough current getting to the starter motor, etc. This is usually caused by a power or ground problem between the battery and wherever the connections for the starter motor are, like the engine block, etc. I've troubleshot many cars (including my WRX) that have had things like ground cable corrosion or a broken battery terminal or something similar that exhibited the exact same symptoms as your car.
I replaced both battery terminals, and inspected the cables. There was minimal resistance in the Ground from Battery to Chassis. Same with the power from Battery-to-Fusebox & Fusebox-to-Starter.

The way to troubleshoot this is to get someone to try and start the car while you look for voltage drops. If you check from the negative battery terminal and some point on the engine block (it really doesn't matter where, because the whole block will usually be at the same potential) you should see almost no difference if everything is working properly. So that's looking between one ground and another ground. If you have ground problems, you'll see a fair amount of voltage difference between the block and the battery, which means there is a decent amount of resistance limiting the current flow. Do the same thing with the positive battery terminal and the lug/stud/whatever on the starter motor. Like I said, you won't necessarily see a voltage drop unless there is current flow, which is why you need someone to try and start the car.
We've done this, which is how we found 3.1V on the engine, but we haven't done it in reverse. We are only getting power around the Distributor, but not anywhere else.

If the battery is fresh, the engine doesn't start, and you're confident the starter works, you WILL find a current delivery problem somewhere.
I'm not 110% sure the Starter is working properly at this point.

The reason I specifically say to use the battery terminal (and not the battery cable clamp, etc) is that you want to look at the entire chain at once. If you look from the battery cable clamp to the block, you may be completely ignoring a bad connection from the battery terminal to the battery cable clamp, etc. So you want to look at as much stuff in the chain as possible, and when you see something abnormal than you can then start looking at individual things.

When you say you have power at the thermostat ground, what were you referencing that voltage to? Were you measuring voltage between the battery terminal, or where?
Yes, we are going from Battery Ground -to- Anywhere around the area previously described. Also the Valvecover Ground & Transmission Ground strap both read properly. It is reading power around the Vtec Solenoid/Distributor/Thermostat housing.

After moving around the ends of the harness AND unplugging the Large plug on the Driver Side of the harness / the Large plug on the Passenger Side we were getting 0.3V, not 3.1V -

We are only seeing this issue with the key @ 2 clicks (position2).

I don't think a new engine harness is going to solve anything if the problem is what I think it is, because it won't be replacing anything that is causing the problem.

I'm really trying to help you here, but it's very difficult without proper details on specifically what you're testing and where.
I will try to be more specific.

Last edited by p2r; 01-31-2010 at 02:34 PM.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:21 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Hmm. I'm still not drawing a complete picture of what's going on. Make sure you test the ignition switch and see that it's working consistently. That doesn't sound like the problem you're having, but that would be something to check just to be thorough.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:48 PM
p2r
!! Buy My Parts !!

Its fucking FREEZING right now, but I am going to spend some time in the garage tonight. I will take notes as I go along, so I can hopefully paint a clearer picture for you.

Sorry again for lack of detail previously - I've just been running in a million directions and I get a little burnt out sometimes.

Thanks again!
Old 02-02-2010, 09:09 AM
p2r
!! Buy My Parts !!

I ran out of Kerosene lastnight, so I didn't stay in the garage.