Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Electrical Problem

Old 10-06-2010, 11:15 AM
Rub my belly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buddha. Buddha. Buddha. Buddha. Buddha. Buddha. Buddha. Buddha. Buddha. Buddha. Buddha.
Default Re: Electrical Problem

also +rep to everyone who gave info.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Fabrik8 again.
-ill get you when i can.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:03 PM
Registered Member

lett182 has disabled reputation

check the fuse inside the car, is back up light fuse , hope it help.
Old 10-07-2010, 01:55 PM
chpinalthewomensmeat

Buttsechs is a jewel in the roughButtsechs is a jewel in the roughButtsechs is a jewel in the rough

im interested, did this fix your problem?
Old 10-07-2010, 03:18 PM
Rub my belly

Buddha. Buddha. Buddha. Buddha. Buddha. Buddha. Buddha. Buddha. Buddha. Buddha. Buddha.

Originally Posted by lett182
check the fuse inside the car, is back up light fuse , hope it help.
i dont think these civics has fuses inside the car, if im wrong correct me...

Originally Posted by Buttsechs
not yet, waiting for the weekend. i will update once it's fixed and let everyone know what caused this.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:36 PM
Registered Member

lett182 has disabled reputation

yes civic do have underdash fusebox inside the car, at the driver side under the steering wheel, if u sit on the driver seat it should be above ur left knee , take the plastic cover out and ull see it, and look for ''backup light'' fuse i belive is red 10A fuse
Old 10-07-2010, 08:04 PM
Rub my belly

yes civic do have underdash fusebox inside the car, at the driver side under the steering wheel, if u sit on the driver seat it should be above ur left knee , take the plastic cover out and ull see it, and look for ''backup light'' fuse i belive is red 10A fuse
thanks, i will check tomorrow when i get up. its either this or the black and red wires the guy was talking about on H-T.
HOPEFULLY its this...
Old 10-07-2010, 08:47 PM
SPARKLEmotion

FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah

I'm sure he appreciates the help but replacing that fuse won't make the radio play, cluster light up (or work), or running lights stay on.

After re reading the problems and giving it some thought, I'm betting that you have an after-market CD player, no? When people that don't know what they're doing get in the dash with a adapter harness, they forget about the ILLUMINATION wire that they skinned back and forgot to insulate or they attempt to connect it when not needed. We all know the inside of the EG's dash looks like scaffolding so theres plenty of places for that wire to ground and short out. The factory deck pulls it's illumination from the same circuit as the dimmer switch and running lights. Short this circuit and you're left with NO running lamps (tails and corners) and no light in the dash. Blinkers, head lights, and brake lights still function though. You would think that the interior light from over head would go out but not so, the interior light is on the cigarette lighter circuit.

As for the radio coming on but not playing anything, I guess you mean there isn't any sound from the speakers but it operates fine? It could be a build in protect tripping from that hot illumination wire touching the back of the deck. I would check there first cause it's just to easy not to check there.

Last edited by FObangah; 10-07-2010 at 08:52 PM.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:37 AM
Rub my belly

Originally Posted by FObangah
I'm sure he appreciates the help but replacing that fuse won't make the radio play, cluster light up (or work), or running lights stay on.

After re reading the problems and giving it some thought, I'm betting that you have an after-market CD player, no? When people that don't know what they're doing get in the dash with a adapter harness, they forget about the ILLUMINATION wire that they skinned back and forgot to insulate or they attempt to connect it when not needed. We all know the inside of the EG's dash looks like scaffolding so theres plenty of places for that wire to ground and short out. The factory deck pulls it's illumination from the same circuit as the dimmer switch and running lights. Short this circuit and you're left with NO running lamps (tails and corners) and no light in the dash. Blinkers, head lights, and brake lights still function though. You would think that the interior light from over head would go out but not so, the interior light is on the cigarette lighter circuit.

As for the radio coming on but not playing anything, I guess you mean there isn't any sound from the speakers but it operates fine? It could be a build in protect tripping from that hot illumination wire touching the back of the deck. I would check there first cause it's just to easy not to check there.
changed all the fuses inside the car, and my gas and mpg work now, the previous owner installed a alarm. Theres 2 red wires and 1 black wire.
Does the black and red wire connect to the battery?
Old 10-08-2010, 05:59 PM
Rub my belly

Originally Posted by Buttsechs
OK problem 80% fixed, fellow member on here "illegal" came through and fixed everything and now it works, still have to run couple more wires to the right rear tail. but he did a A+ job. it wasnt the alarm that caused this, black and red wire were fried! just like the guy on H-T said on the link posted in here.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:47 PM
Banned

White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil

Wiring diagrams should be purchased right after you buy an older car, along with a factory service manual. Those plus some basic electrical repair gear and a multimeter are a MUST for sniffing out shorts and fuse problems, even if theyve been monkeyed with by the previous owner. More and more people buy these used cars off of Craplist and fleaBay and have NO IDEA what the asstard that previously owned the thing has done to it.