Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Electronics, how do they work?

Old 08-19-2010, 06:44 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Killerzracing92 Killerzracing92 Killerzracing92 Killerzracing92 Killerzracing92 Killerzracing92 Killerzracing92
Default Re: Electronics, how do they work?

Okay......

Well I agree with your idea.

GL
Old 08-19-2010, 07:21 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

The single relay is definitely a big problem if they draw 15A each. That's 45A continuous, not to mention the initial current draw may be 3 times that amount on turn-on depending on the compressor motor inductance.

The skinny wire you're talking about is most likely the ground for the relay coil. If there is only one wire going to each compressor, that must mean that the compressors are grounded directly to wherever they are mounted (through the metal case of the compressor, etc).

Seriously though, there is no reason to run 8 gauge for 3 compressors that draw 15A each, unless you're planning on blowing the horns for a long time.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:27 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by Killerzracing92
8ga wire isnt big at all, its not that big a pain to run. I have that size running my radiator fans.
Having and needing are two completely unrelated things.

I'm pretty much done with arguing this topic, but I will say in closing that a lot of people use wire that is waaaay too large based on the actual requirements. It doesn't hurt anything, but it is a pain in the ass to crimp a terminal on 8 gauge instead of a more proper sized wire that is still perfectly fine for the job.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 08-19-2010 at 07:32 PM.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:31 PM
ATGATT

marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
The skinny wire you're talking about is most likely the ground for the relay coil. If there is only one wire going to each compressor, that must mean that the compressors are grounded directly to wherever they are mounted (through the metal case of the compressor, etc).
I'll just take a picture of it tomorrow. There are two wires to each compressor, and the ground wires ground to the chassis.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:31 PM
ATGATT

marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike

Yeah, I'm with Fabrik8 on these. I see no need for extra bulk and mess in my engine bay.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:06 PM
Jay
VR-4ever

Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay

I'm pretty much done with arguing this topic, but I will say in closing that a lot of people use wire that is waaaay too large based on the actual requirements. It doesn't hurt anything, but it is a pain in the ass to crimp a terminal on 8 gauge instead of a more proper sized wire that is still perfectly fine for the job.
Agreed, and if you find a smaller gauge fused d-block (one 8AWG in to three or four 10-12AWG out) holler at me. I'm still looking for one like this as they tidy things up nicely. That was the primary rationale for using one run of larger AWG.

edit: Crimping large stuff isn't a pain with the right tools, but smaller AWG is certainly easier to work with.

Last edited by Jay; 08-19-2010 at 08:16 PM.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:10 PM
Registered Member

Killerzracing92 Killerzracing92 Killerzracing92 Killerzracing92 Killerzracing92 Killerzracing92 Killerzracing92

DELETE................... Merged

Last edited by Killerzracing92; 08-19-2010 at 09:22 PM.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:21 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Jay
Agreed, and if you find a smaller gauge fused d-block (one 8AWG in to three or four 10-12AWG out) holler at me. I'm still looking for one like this as they tidy things up nicely. That was the primary rationale for using one run of larger AWG.

edit: Crimping large stuff isn't a pain with the right tools, but smaller AWG is certainly easier to work with.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/viewc...309&f_118=1262

A razor blade, a vise and a punch and hammer. The tools you need to crimp big wire. That simple.

BTW I have 2 large fans to run that on the same switch and are run constant on. This aint no honda I got.

Guess what buddy, I ran a tiny wire going to a switch inside my car you know what happen? The wire got hot, and ended up melting. Plus the car would always overheat do to LACK OF CURRENT to the motors. So I did need it.

Last edited by Killerzracing92; 08-19-2010 at 09:26 PM.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:26 PM
Racetracks

Originally Posted by Killerzracing92
BTW I have 2 large fans to run that on the same switch and are run constant on. This aint no honda I got.

Because guess what buddy, I ran a tiny wire going to a switch inside my car you know what happen? The wire got hot, and ended up melting. So I did need it.
Wait, so you're running the fans off of a switch and not a relay? So you went from a tiny wire to 8 gauge wire, and you're still running the fans directly through a switch. I'm just trying to get my facts straight here before I completely discount your wiring advice.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:32 PM
Registered Member

Wait, so you're running the fans off of a switch and not a relay? So you went from a tiny wire to 8 gauge wire, and you're still running the fans directly through a switch. I'm just trying to get my facts straight here before I completely discount your wiring advice.

Nope why the hell do I have to run a relay?

Its connected directly to the battery, I also have each fan running 8ga ea, then going to a switch. Theres also a fuse inline for it to.

Tiny wire was 10ga wire that shity radioshack sold that had more insulation than wire. It just didnt work. That's tiny wire to me.

Relays are low current switches for high current devices, Its not required to run one, as long as the switch is rated for the current........... correct.

I did have a relay, but couldnt find connectors for 8ga wire, to connect it. I also have an auto reset circut breaker.

Thanks for trying to flame me.

Carry on.

Last edited by Killerzracing92; 08-19-2010 at 09:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Electronics, how do they work?