Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Electronics, how do they work?

Old 08-19-2010, 09:41 PM
Racetracks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: Electronics, how do they work?

If you need enough current that you need to run 8 gauge, you shouldn't be running it through a switch. Switches aren't meant to handle that kind of current. If the switch does handle the current you need, you don't need 8 gauge because the current isn't actually that much. Well, or the switch isn't going to last very long without contact erosion and carbon deposits.

Relays can handle a lot more current than a switch, and you can still use your switch to engage the relay coil. The real benefit is (obviously) that you can run a much shorter high current wire between the battery and the fans if you have a relay local to the fans and don't have to run the entire fan current all the way into the passenger compartment and all the way back to the fan. You can easily run smaller wire if it's shorter. There are proper ways to do things, and there are marginally passable ways to do things.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:56 PM
Registered Member

Killerzracing92 Killerzracing92 Killerzracing92 Killerzracing92 Killerzracing92 Killerzracing92 Killerzracing92

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
If you need enough current that you need to run 8 gauge, you shouldn't be running it through a switch. Switches aren't meant to handle that kind of current. If the switch does handle the current you need, you don't need 8 gauge because the current isn't actually that much. Well, or the switch isn't going to last very long without contact erosion and carbon deposits.

Relays can handle a lot more current than a switch, and you can still use your switch to engage the relay coil. The real benefit is (obviously) that you can run a much shorter high current wire between the battery and the fans if you have a relay local to the fans and don't have to run the entire fan current all the way into the passenger compartment and all the way back to the fan. You can easily run smaller wire if it's shorter. There are proper ways to do things, and there are marginally passable ways to do things.

Works fine for me, and it was junk wire I had laying around from some other project.

Theres no need to put so much thought into something so simple. K.I.S.S.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:07 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

There's no thinking involved. Whatever you're willing to accept in your own car is up to you though.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:18 PM
ATGATT

marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike

Fabrik8, what wattage would headlamps have to be to benefit from relays vs going through the switch? (consider that they're H4 bulbs, so turning on the high beam shuts off the low beam)
Old 08-19-2010, 10:19 PM
Registered Member

Killerzracing92 Killerzracing92 Killerzracing92 Killerzracing92 Killerzracing92 Killerzracing92 Killerzracing92

There's no thinking involved. Whatever you're willing to accept in your own car is up to you though.

Coming from the guy that says 8ga wire is a pain to crimp............
Old 08-19-2010, 10:22 PM
ATGATT

marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike

Originally Posted by Killerzracing92
Just FYI, Fabrik8's credibility on these forums is pretty much as high as credibility can get.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:22 PM
Racetracks

Yep, it is a pain to crimp 8 gauge when it's completely unnecessary to use 8 gauge..

You can rig whatever you want on your own car, I'm just saying you don't sound like the best person to give electrical advice based on what you've said so far.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 08-19-2010 at 10:29 PM.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:31 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by marlinspike
Just FYI, Fabrik8's credibility on these forums is pretty much as high as credibility can get.
Thats great.

Yep, it is a pain to crimp 8 gauge when it's completely unnecessary to use 8 gauge..
Yeah because its so much more work then any other size wire.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:37 PM
Registered Member

You can rig whatever you want on your own car, I'm just saying you don't sound like the best person to give electrical advice based on what you've said so far.
Which was?

Did I say anything that will cause harm or damage to his vehicle?

I guess Jay knows nothing either because he said he'd run 8ga, then split to each compressor.

Op knows nothing even though he said he was going to run 8 ga.

I shouldnt give advice because Fabrik8 says so.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:38 PM
Racetracks

Yeah because its so much more work then any other size wire.
Apparently my punch and hammer crimping set doesn't go up to 8 gauge. Or I like to do things the proper way. I can't figure out which.

Quick Reply: Electronics, how do they work?