Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Electronics, how do they work?

Old 08-21-2010, 08:58 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Killerzracing92 Killerzracing92 Killerzracing92 Killerzracing92 Killerzracing92 Killerzracing92 Killerzracing92
Default Re: Electronics, how do they work?

Im lazy as hell, and my way is the dumbest way in the world. Theres wires all in my car. It looks like its about 20 spools of wire like you see in home depot and lowes for houses.

I suck at everything, and im a complete dumbfuck........

Yeah your right, 8 gauge is fucking stupid and too large for anything and should only be used as welding cable.

I just put 24ga on my fans with a 3 relays.

The switch I have is about the size of a cinder block. It sounds like a electrical substation inside my car.

I have my power wire for my amp over the car then busted a hole in the window for it to go back inside. I took all the insulation off because the wire cant breath. The fuse has a bolt in it so I dont loose current.

Its mad sick.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:09 PM
WEEEEEEEEEEE

TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT

Originally Posted by Killerzracing92
Im lazy as hell, and my way is the dumbest way in the world. Theres wires all in my car. It looks like its about 20 spools of wire like you see in home depot and lowes for houses.

Yeah your right, 8 gauge is fucking stupid and too large for anything and should only be used as welding cable.

The switch I have is about the size of a cinder block. It sounds like a electrical substation inside my car.

I have my power wire for my amp over the car then busted a hole in the window for it to go back inside. I took all the insulation off because the wire cant breath. The fuse has a bolt in it so I dont loose current.

Its mad sick.
I thought you were done?
Old 08-21-2010, 10:07 PM
ATGATT

marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike

Originally Posted by HatefulMechanic
You don't have to have a giant mess of hosing. A tank can be as small as the compressor you already have.

I am merely throwing another idea out there.

What do I know though, right?
You use an air tank that is approx. the size of a 12oz soda can?
Old 08-22-2010, 06:16 AM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

Originally Posted by marlinspike
You use an air tank that is approx. the size of a 12oz soda can?
They are available, yes. Most of the time its a larger cylinder about the size of a propane torch cylinder, for more volume. but I have put some on that were 6" tall and 3" in diameter, about the size of a Coke can. They are not the best for the application, but if that is all that fits...

Originally Posted by Killerzracing92

Its mad sick.

Whatever man, if you want to act like a complete fucking child, then continue. Isn't it time for your nap? I know 3 year olds that can carry on a conversation better than you, and act more mature when told their rigged ass house they are building with Legos may need to be rethought out before collapsing.

Last edited by HatefulMechanic; 08-22-2010 at 06:19 AM.
Old 08-22-2010, 06:29 AM
Troll & Run

ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD

I don't think I have seen someone rage that hard in tech talk before.
Old 08-22-2010, 06:46 AM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

Originally Posted by DEEEEEEEEEEEERP
I don't think I have seen someone rage that hard in tech talk before.
He mad. No fried chicken and watermelon I reckon.
Old 08-22-2010, 06:50 AM
ATGATT

marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike

They are available, yes. Most of the time its a larger cylinder about the size of a propane torch cylinder, for more volume. but I have put some on that were 6" tall and 3" in diameter, about the size of a Coke can. They are not the best for the application, but if that is all that fits...
Hmmm, but I'd have to have that in addition to the compressor, though I could cut it down to just 1 compressor. How much honking would a tank that size give me across 3 trumpets though?
Old 08-22-2010, 06:58 AM
The Pro to call.

Hmmm, but I'd have to have that in addition to the compressor, though I could cut it down to just 1 compressor. How much honking would a tank that size give me across 3 trumpets though?
What size trumpets, and what size lines? A tank that size with a decent compressor will have a loud blast for about 3-5 seconds, then be loud for as long as the compressor runs.

Most importantly, the size of the lines is the key. Of course, you would have to have an air solenoid to operate them also.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:00 AM
ATGATT

What size trumpets, and what size lines? A tank that size with a decent compressor will have a loud blast for about 3-5 seconds, then be loud for as long as the compressor runs.

Most importantly, the size of the lines is the key. Of course, you would have to have an air solenoid to operate them also.
This is quickly getting too complicated, but 3-5 seconds before the tank is dry is definitely not enough. The lines are 3/8 inner diameter. They're not too long, maybe a foot each.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:07 AM
The Pro to call.

This is quickly getting too complicated, but 3-5 seconds before the tank is dry is definitely not enough. The lines are 3/8 inner diameter. They're not too long, maybe a foot each.
It can be.

3/8 line takes some volume. Quite a bit actually. If you are running 3 trumpets and want them LOUD, you need to have either a high volume compressor, three normal compressors running each, or a large storage tank.

Depending on the vehicle, you can put a decent size tank in the trunk, run a 1/2" line to the front, put the solenoid close to the horns (minimizes air delay) and leave the compressor in the back.

The issue you were describing before this thread went way off track was lights dimming, right? Those compressors draw a large amount of current. Even if you run them through a relay or contactor to maximize the current going through them, you will still put a hell of a load on the system unless you increase your alternator output to compensate, or add more storage capacity by adding a battery.

If it were mine, and I was doing a loud horn install, I would put a 3-5 gal air tank in the trunk with a normal compressor, run the line through the car and out front, then put a solenoid tied to a small gauge control wire (or have a dual terminal relay wired in series with the OE horn wiring, that when a small gauge wire was triggered to ground by a microswitch in the car, you can use the factory horn button to trigger it) to trigger the solenoid.

Quick Reply: Electronics, how do they work?