Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Electronics, how do they work?

Old 08-22-2010, 07:09 AM
The Pro to call.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic
Default Re: Electronics, how do they work?

The plus side is you will have an airtank to use if you have a flat tire. At the most, you are looking at about 45 bucks for materials to do it (an airtank from the parts store or WalMart is about 25 bucks, air line and solenoid is about 15-20)
Old 08-22-2010, 07:11 AM
ATGATT

marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike

Originally Posted by HatefulMechanic
It can be.

3/8 line takes some volume. Quite a bit actually. If you are running 3 trumpets and want them LOUD, you need to have either a high volume compressor, three normal compressors running each, or a large storage tank.

Depending on the vehicle, you can put a decent size tank in the trunk, run a 1/2" line to the front, put the solenoid close to the horns (minimizes air delay) and leave the compressor in the back.

The issue you were describing before this thread went way off track was lights dimming, right?
The issue was that they wouldn't make any noise at idle with the A/C running.

But there's no way I'm putting a tank in the trunk. I'll just have this wired up properly (because the shop that had done it 1- didn't use a fuse, 2 - has 45 amps being drawn through a 30 amp relay).
Old 08-22-2010, 07:21 AM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

Originally Posted by marlinspike
The issue was that they wouldn't make any noise at idle with the A/C running.

But there's no way I'm putting a tank in the trunk. I'll just have this wired up properly (because the shop that had done it 1- didn't use a fuse, 2 - has 45 amps being drawn through a 30 amp relay).

If its pulling that much current, I suggest running it through a solenoid instead of a relay. Most relays cannot handle more than 30a, and a Ford starter solenoid is CHEAP. 12 bucks and it will handle all the current you want, just dont use it for long blasts (more than 2 min of contact on time).

Run a 6 or 8 ga wire from the battery to a fuse holder, then to one terminal on the solenoid. Output terminal goes to the compressor, and use the same size wire for ground. Make sure the solenoid is grounded (ie make sure the metal bracket you bolt it down with is grounded) and pop your control wire onto the S terminal, and you are ready to roll.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:25 AM
Registered Member

Killerzracing92 Killerzracing92 Killerzracing92 Killerzracing92 Killerzracing92 Killerzracing92 Killerzracing92

So these compressors are in the front of the car and not the back? When I think compressors I think air suspension................that's where where I thought they were.

Well never mind these are those small tiny ones like autozone and pep boys sell aren't they.
Well I los credibility anyway..................so I can't combeback oh well
Old 08-22-2010, 07:29 AM
ATGATT

marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike

If its pulling that much current, I suggest running it through a solenoid instead of a relay. Most relays cannot handle more than 30a, and a Ford starter solenoid is CHEAP. 12 bucks and it will handle all the current you want, just dont use it for long blasts (more than 2 min of contact on time).

Run a 6 or 8 ga wire from the battery to a fuse holder, then to one terminal on the solenoid. Output terminal goes to the compressor, and use the same size wire for ground. Make sure the solenoid is grounded (ie make sure the metal bracket you bolt it down with is grounded) and pop your control wire onto the S terminal, and you are ready to roll.
I was figuring just splitting up the compressors so there are only 15 amps on each relay.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:30 AM
ATGATT

Originally Posted by Killerzracing92
So these compressors are in the front of the car and not the back? When I think compressors I think air suspension................that's where where I thought they were.

Well never mind these are those small tiny ones like autozone and pep boys sell aren't they.
Yes, they're the little high speed ones.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:52 AM
The Pro to call.

I was figuring just splitting up the compressors so there are only 15 amps on each relay.
You can do that, but keep in mind your power feed for the relays needs to be gauged accordingly. You can run a 6-8ga feed, then split off with a 10-12ga to each relay and then 10-12ga to each compressor, or, run a 6-8ga feed to the solenoid I suggested, then run the feeds to the compressors with ring terminals off the stud.

Really all depends if you want to have a lot of wiring around for the three relays (3 relays-12 terminal ends and wiring) or the solenoid (1 solenoid with 1 large wire, 1 small wire, and 3 feeds out to the compressors).

Either produces the same net effect, minimal voltage drop. Which is part of the problem you are having. You may still need a larger capacity battery though. It will depend on how it reacts when you are done fixing the rigged wiring.

if you read the OP's first question, it says:
I have air horns on my car (the kind with the small instant spool compressors).
what kind of compressors. You never had credibility to begin with from the first set of comments you made about wiring a fan with a toggle switch. Yes, you made some good points to start with about large gauge wiring and high current draws, but trying to argue your backyard wiring techniques with an electrical engineer and multiple people that are in the business of auto repair, wiring, custom fabrication, and the like did not help your case.

Last edited by HatefulMechanic; 08-22-2010 at 08:00 AM.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:32 AM
Registered Member

Killerzracing92 Killerzracing92 Killerzracing92 Killerzracing92 Killerzracing92 Killerzracing92 Killerzracing92

You can do that, but keep in mind your power feed for the relays needs to be gauged accordingly. You can run a 6-8ga feed, then split off with a 10-12ga to each relay and then 10-12ga to each compressor, or, run a 6-8ga feed to the solenoid I suggested, then run the feeds to the compressors with ring terminals off the stud.
Really all depends if you want to have a lot of wiring around for the three relays (3 relays-12 terminal ends and wiring) or the solenoid (1 solenoid with 1 large wire, 1 small wire, and 3 feeds out to the compressors).

Either produces the same net effect, minimal voltage drop. Which is part of the problem you are having. You may still need a larger capacity battery though. It will depend on how it reacts when you are done fixing the rigged wiring.

what kind of compressors. You never had credibility to begin with from the first set of comments you made about wiring a fan with a toggle switch. Yes, you made some good points to start with about large gauge wiring and high current draws, but trying to argue your backyard wiring techniques with an electrical engineer and multiple people that are in the business of auto repair, wiring, custom fabrication, and the like did not help your case.
I said the same thing, but just because I used a switch thats rated for high current im an idiot.

Post #4

Larger wire going directly to the battery test it like that (or get a large swtich that can handle the amperage of the pump) . The larger the gauge the better I would Rec an 8ga or bigger.

I would say the relay is only rated for one compressor anyway correct? You will need a larger relay and a junction box to run both compressors.
Amperage is what these compressors need to run, voltage plays a role too. Make sure the ground is just as large or larger then the feed. Common ground has got to go unless its bigger then the feed.

People were saying 8ga was too big, and people were arguing with me from the jump.

Soon as I say I use a switch now I loose credibility?
Old 08-22-2010, 12:33 PM
The Pro to call.

I said the same thing, but just because I used a switch thats rated for high current im an idiot.

Post #4

Larger wire going directly to the battery test it like that (or get a large swtich that can handle the amperage of the pump) . The larger the gauge the better I would Rec an 8ga or bigger.

I would say the relay is only rated for one compressor anyway correct? You will need a larger relay and a junction box to run both compressors.
Amperage is what these compressors need to run, voltage plays a role too. Make sure the ground is just as large or larger then the feed. Common ground has got to go unless its bigger then the feed.

People were saying 8ga was too big, and people were arguing with me from the jump.

Soon as I say I use a switch now I loose credibility?
I never said your original post about splitting power off a larger gauge feed was not credible.

I said
Personally, I think large gauge wire and toggle switches give a backyard mechanic look. Customers that come through my shop want things to be professionally installed, look appealing (ie no bundles of wires, large switches hacked into their dash, etc) and function like they should. Which is why we generally will do the more accepted practice in a situation.
The point several people were trying to make before you decided to throw your little tantrum was that your method of running a large gauge wire into the dash area and using a switch is generally accepted as a hack job. If the others were not, I was.

You would flip shit if you ever had to deal with a multiplexed controller setup on a vehicle, or even saw a fuseless distribution system. I do believe it would make your ghetto rigging brain explode trying to visualize how it works.
Old 08-22-2010, 01:46 PM
Registered Member

Nope it all started about the use of 8ga for the pumps, point blank.

Doubt it would make my brain explode. So you are goint to make a judge of character based on a post I made on a forum?

You dont know me or have never met me to determine what I can and can not comprehend.

Like I stated above the reason for flack was a recomendation of 8ga wire. If I never said anything about my fan, it would have still continued.

Quick Reply: Electronics, how do they work?