Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Engine Management

Old 01-25-2005, 03:09 PM
Racetracks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: Engine Management

You can use TurboEdit, it's just like Uberdata and Chrome but it's for OBD0 PMx family ECUs. A 91 PM6 would be the way to go, or I could put a daughterboard in a 88-90 so it's chipped also. I have a stack of them if you need one. Don't be concerned with the name, TurboEdit does N/A cars too..
Old 01-25-2005, 06:20 PM

StpH8n is an unknown quantity at this point

forgot about TE.... all mentioned above (TE, uber, chrome, hon) are good programs and reasonabley cheap to setup. I still think AEM EMS is just way too over priced for what it is.

Before you flame away on how AEM is this and that..... look here

Mega Squirt

Last edited by StpH8n; 01-25-2005 at 06:30 PM.
Old 01-25-2005, 07:05 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Why go third party when modified stock Honda ECUs are excellent? You have to have a radically modified engine to make an AEM system worthwhile, it's just unnecessary.

I've always wanted to play with the Megasquirt-based stuff, but I'd really only start with the core code and the basic hardware layout. There are much better ways to implement the hardware, although not as cheap. I have a whole shitload of changes I'd make just from looking at the schematics briefly. Fun stuff to play with though..
I'd rather spend my time on something more worthwhile.
Old 01-25-2005, 11:02 PM
I have a 20 valve...

crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx

So for just moderate modifications to engine you should go with uber/hondata for OBD 1 and OBD 2 You should go with either the VAFC or THe EMS????

junior, shut up. LS's can't use a VAFC because we don't have the V. Do you know what the V in VAFC stands for?

Why go third party when modified stock Honda ECUs are excellent? You have to have a radically modified engine to make an AEM system worthwhile, it's just unnecessary.

very good info, especially about Turboedit. Thank you. So, I know that you do this stuff for a living, but I'm kinda handy with the soldering iron, would you be willing to sell me the necessary hardware to upgrade my stock ECU?

Last edited by crxnfx; 01-25-2005 at 11:04 PM.
Old 01-26-2005, 04:40 AM
Racetracks

What stock ECU do you have? Some are better than others for mods, or are better supported, documented, etc.. I can get you the parts, yeah. I just picked up a pair of 91 PM6s last night if you need one, they are fairly straightforward to chip. You'll need the normal ECU tuning stuff also, like an EPROM burner to write your programs to a chip.
Old 01-26-2005, 05:06 AM
I have a 20 valve...

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
What stock ECU do you have? Some are better than others for mods, or are better supported, documented, etc.. I can get you the parts, yeah. I just picked up a pair of 91 PM6s last night if you need one, they are fairly straightforward to chip. You'll need the normal ECU tuning stuff also, like an EPROM burner to write your programs to a chip.
I have the PR4 I believe. Thats the 91 LS obd0 ECU. I'll double check today and write you back.
Old 01-26-2005, 06:39 AM
Racetracks

PR4s are a bastard stepchild in the ECU world. You'll be better off getting a more common ECU and tuning with that. It's all the same when you're using a program like TurboEdit, you can easily tune for an LS on something like a PM6.
Old 01-26-2005, 06:46 AM
I have a 20 valve...

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
PR4s are a bastard stepchild in the ECU world. You'll be better off getting a more common ECU and tuning with that. It's all the same when you're using a program like TurboEdit, you can easily tune for an LS on something like a PM6.
so now I need to purchase a obdo to odb1 piggy back to work that right?
Old 01-26-2005, 07:35 AM
hybrid no more :(

Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert

pm6 is the 88-91 civic/crx si ecu... you don't need a obd1 converstion for that... it'll plug right in.. same wiring as your pr4
Old 01-27-2005, 05:52 AM
I have a 20 valve...

Originally Posted by Bert
pm6 is the 88-91 civic/crx si ecu... you don't need a obd1 converstion for that... it'll plug right in.. same wiring as your pr4

thank you much

Quick Reply: Engine Management