Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Engine question

Old 01-06-2005, 09:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sgnos has disabled reputation
Default Engine question

Ok, this may be a hard to answer question. I've got an engine that I am going to completely rip down, and rebuild with all custom/high performance parts, + turbo charge. I want to make this a -very- high reving engine, and I know there's a lot of maintainance and rebuilds that will have to go on, but what exactly am I going to have to reinforce/change to do this? It's a twin cam 16 valve engine 4 cyl.. am I going to need some sort of extra special oil + oil delievery system, along with high temp valves/cams.. everything? I'd like to build this for big power of course, and will need strong parts as it is, but.. what is it that makes a good high revver?
Old 01-06-2005, 10:08 PM
I have a 20 valve...

crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx
Default Re: Engine question

what car is this for?

First off, for a turbo- high rev you should resleave it. Darton and other manufacturers will do that for you. They make high flow oil pumps, as well as oil reserve devices.

To rev high, you will need to chip your ECU first to disable the rev limiter, your going to need a oil pump that doesn't cavitate at high RPMS, and your also going to need some dual valve springs. Crower sells them for all applications. This will prevent valve float, which keeps the valve open constantly and not allow the proper combustion in the chamber.

For somebody that wants to build this awesome super turbo horsepower demon, you need to start reading up.

Not to mention, much money you got? Because this is going to cost big time.
I have an NA motor that I built for strenght, and buddy, it wasn't cheap.

Last edited by crxnfx; 01-10-2005 at 02:51 AM.
Old 01-07-2005, 05:52 PM

Hey thanks, that's really helpful. I've found most anything for the internals of my engine, or at least places to make em custom. It's a saturn engine Chipping won't be too bad, I've looked into that too.. I'm just wondering how far I'll be able to take it, heh. I don't want something with a high potential to break... which is what I'm describing, lol.. and I'd want the powerband to still be there as well.
Old 01-08-2005, 12:13 AM
I have a 20 valve...

crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx

Originally Posted by Sgnos
Hey thanks, that's really helpful. I've found most anything for the internals of my engine, or at least places to make em custom. It's a saturn engine Chipping won't be too bad, I've looked into that too.. I'm just wondering how far I'll be able to take it, heh. I don't want something with a high potential to break... which is what I'm describing, lol.. and I'd want the powerband to still be there as well.
there is a saturn enthusiast website, you might have to google it. Its like SECA or something like that, and they would have all the information, or aleast direction for you to move towards. I know that the Saturn Ion red line is a turbo edition to the saturn family, so your engines probably take well to it. PM boostfed, he has a civic putting out well over 600 horse and is actually for more. If you want a high boost ill tempered motor, he would be the man to talk to,
Old 01-08-2005, 10:03 AM
still alive

gpeele gpeele gpeele gpeele gpeele gpeele

dont forget about cooling. i had a high reving na engine and it would overheat constantly when i stayed in the revs for extented periods of time. you should atleast pickup an oil cooler and a performance radiator.
Old 01-08-2005, 10:38 AM
Bitches get Stitches

sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike

you want to boost it and rev high? no point really, the turbo gives you the torque you want w/out having to rev the fuck out of it. just build it for boost (resleeve, upgraded rods/pistons, oversized valves, turbo cams if you want, etc), and pick a turbo that suits your needs.
Old 04-02-2005, 06:07 AM

well, I've got the whole bad engine apart, a bearing had started to go so I'm going to need to weld and regrind the crank. but all in all, it's a good block and head to work with.. good condition. Now, I can send the crank to get it knived, anyone know if that's worth the money? better fordged pistons for 500~ rods that can take around 600hp for a few hundred? all I know is this is gonna be spendy
Old 04-02-2005, 06:18 AM
i got 5 on it

themacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by sk8rmike
you want to boost it and rev high? no point really,
Exactly.

You build engines to make NA power or turbo power. You don't do both. That's a waste of money on one end of the scale.

I drove an SRT-4 and figured "it's a 4-banger, lets wind it out", and hit the engine (literally) quit at 5900 rpm. My car is a 4-banger turbo and redline is 6250. You don't need to rev an engine to make power if you have a turbo. That's what the turbo is for.

edit: and the question of the century - HOW MUCH POWER DO YOU WANT TO MAKE?
Old 04-03-2005, 07:28 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Does your Saturn have an Ecotec in it? Those things can be made bulletproof without much trouble. I don't know what their efficiency is or how they perform N/A, but they are plenty strong to take turbo abuse, and supposedly everything you need to make it bulletproof is available in the GM parts catalog. I've never done anything with Ecotecs before, but they sound like a great platform to start with..
Old 04-03-2005, 08:09 AM
Registered Member

rob42386 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Does your Saturn have an Ecotec in it?
Ya look at Lisa Kubo

Quick Reply: Engine question