Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Exhaust Wrap - pros and cons?

Old 07-26-2007, 05:03 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
krazdracer has disabled reputation
Default Re: Exhaust Wrap - pros and cons?

I used and seen it used on many cars with no problem at all. Just take you time and do it right so i looks nice and overlapped evenly.
Old 07-28-2007, 02:19 PM
Jump In

integra-t has disabled reputation

I got the DEI that Young L mentioned....

keeps the temp lower, but when you first install it it smells like its burning, but after "breaking in", everything is as it should be
Old 07-30-2007, 11:54 AM
Banned

DecentCivicZ6 is an unknown quantity at this point

I get mine at the local kart racing shop, cheap as fuck there. and buy it by the foot. and i just use wire to tie mine off. they also have a black spray you can spray on them, says holds more temp, just if you just like black instead of the normal tanish/white color.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:08 AM
Hello

Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality

Originally Posted by DecentCivicZ6
ive always used exhuast wrap in kart racing. on those small engines and the engine dynos it does increase performance, and also makes exhuast pipes last longer from cranking in our experience. Never heard of exhuast wrap MAKING somthign crack like dude said up there.None of my stuff on my car is wrapped, due to I have a CAST turbonetics manifold. If i had tubular I would wrapp it.
This was the info i was looking for. So from what I read, exhaust wrap isn't ideal for CAST manifolds?

That's a real bummer if it's true. Wrapping the turbine side of the turbo should still be ok?
Old 12-12-2007, 06:36 PM
Banned

Yeah, you can wrap the cast ones, it just wouldnt look as good...but cast manifolds usualy are thicker so they hold in alot of heat on their own..but yeah you can wrap it...friend has one of those Turbo diaper things its pretty cool, and his manifold wrapped.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:00 PM
TurboPipingSystems

thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal

I've been using heat wrap for as long as I can remember... no issues. I soak mine with water before I use it to get that extra tighter wrap... plus the fiber glass does not go al over the place.

Of course, ceramic coating is still better in many ways... but that shit gets expensive. Go to summit racing online and order. It is not that expensive.....
Old 12-12-2007, 09:08 PM
MP5
Team Rad Racing

MP5 is infamous around these partsMP5 is infamous around these partsMP5 is infamous around these partsMP5 is infamous around these partsMP5 is infamous around these partsMP5 is infamous around these partsMP5 is infamous around these partsMP5 is infamous around these partsMP5 is infamous around these partsMP5 is infamous around these partsMP5 is infamous around these parts

I have no personal experience, but i have been told that the wrap traps in moisture and holds it against your manifold, exhaust, etc. and will accelerate oxidation/rust. Now i do not know how true that is and i have also been told that you can get a heat wrap sealant/glue that you can spray over the wrap that will seal it up and keep it from getting any moisture. Which is also something i am not certain about. Take this how you will as i have said this is just what i have heard and do not know to actually be true.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:20 PM
braap braap

Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod

Originally Posted by MP5
I have no personal experience, but i have been told that the wrap traps in moisture and holds it against your manifold, exhaust, etc. and will accelerate oxidation/rust. Now i do not know how true that is and i have also been told that you can get a heat wrap sealant/glue that you can spray over the wrap that will seal it up and keep it from getting any moisture. Which is also something i am not certain about. Take this how you will as i have said this is just what i have heard and do not know to actually be true.
It is true, but I had a wrapped downpipe on my car for a while and I removed it after several months of use with no problems.

Wisepanda had his header wrapped aswell, no coatings on it. And we removed it with no isses. My friends 4inch downpipe ahs been wrapped for about a year now, car is daily driven, even in the rain and it was removed when he blew the motor a month ago, still mint.

IMO, as long as the metal used is fine. And you wrap it properly. It'll rust just as soon as a manifold/downpipe that is untreated.
Old 12-13-2007, 06:03 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by thermal
I soak mine with water before I use it to get that extra tighter wrap... plus the fiber glass does not go al over the place.

Of course, ceramic coating is still better in many ways... but that shit gets expensive. Go to summit racing online and order. It is not that expensive.....
TRUE that, did same thing with water. and we used Jet Coat on one header for the kart, makes a wonderfull diff. and to the peopleworried about rust on a manifold...#1 stainless doesnt rust. #2 cast manifolds rust either way. #3 if its wrapped and the rust is under the wrap where u cant see it...whats it make a diff?
Old 12-13-2007, 06:24 AM
Slowest HRC Member

BAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond repute

First, the constant movement (from thermal expansion) will eventually wear through when using header wrap.

Second, header wrap works about 1/3 as well as a thermal-barrier coating.

Third, a thermal barrier coating, for a 4 cylinder manifold, can reduce temps by as much, or more than half. It costs about $100 to fully process. (Not very expensive) and is usually guaranteed by the manufacturer for 20 years. It doesn't erode the manifold, the manifold can be coating inside and out, for improved performance over just the outer coating, (About $25 extra most places.) and the performance difference with the ceramic thermal-barrier will be superior.

http://www.hpccoatings.com
http://www.techlinecoatings.com (For the DIY/want the same stuff from a better source)
Nearest to the 757 location is in Chesterfield, VA area.

You might also consider their thermal dispersant for your radiator, intercooler, head, block, and various other areas, if you're doing a turbo build.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Wrap - pros and cons?