Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

a/f guage.

Old 08-29-2008 | 08:37 PM
Registered Member

Woodpsuher50mm has disabled reputation
Default Re: a/f guage.

i dont really care if it works or not i was just bored and wondering if i could hook it up to my car.
Old 08-30-2008 | 12:09 AM
I <3 My DSM

SPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Sounds like you have a power or ground problem with the gauge, and the difference in voltage with engine RPM is making it brighter or dimmer. No idea. It should sweep from lean to rich more than once a second if it's working properly, except under fairly heavy throttle.

My advice on how to fix it:

Sell it.

You have a narrowband O2 sensor, and a narrowband gauge isn't really good for anything except entertainment. I won't bore you with the technical details of how the O2 sensor is read by the ECU, but take it on faith that the O2 sensor isn't very accurate. Any reading off of an inaccurate sensor is inherently an inaccurate reading. I'll explain why it sweeps back and forth from lean to rich like a metronome at part throttle if you want, it's boring but you may be interested.

If you want an actual idea of what your A/F ratio is, you'll need a wideband O2 sensor and gauge. Not cheap, but if you want meaningful data than that is what you get.
did i ever tell you i love you?? if i had enough money, i would self fund you just for all of your knowledge ...
Old 08-30-2008 | 01:36 AM
Registered Member

BlackPearlSTi has disabled reputation

I have a narrow band prosport a/f gauge in my STi and for a while all I thought it was good for was a pod filler and light show. Turns out though it was actually reading a bad O2 sensor and when I replaced that it did alright in steady throttle and WOT. Still it's only purpose in life is to tell me if there is something very wrong if it's all the way rich or lean, that's about it.