Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

f-ing seafoam

Old 02-17-2012, 02:03 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
crxmatt crxmatt crxmatt crxmatt crxmatt crxmatt crxmatt crxmatt crxmatt crxmatt crxmatt
Angry f-ing seafoam

So I work at a local oil change shop and we do fuel injection services, I decided so seafoam my car, its a 97 ek hatch with a b16a2 in it, so it smoked its ass off when we ran it thru and ran good after i was finished for a little while, now the icav is fucked up and when i start it, it pours out blue smoke like the valve seals went bad, before i seafoamed it the car ran fine now the idle is erratic and its smoking on cold start... anyone else had this problem I really do not feel like replacing the valve seals and the icav is mass expensive... anyone who has used this and had problems let me know please
Old 02-17-2012, 04:38 PM
Registered Member

Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy.
Default Re: f-ing seafoam

Originally Posted by crxmatt
So I work at a local oil change shop and we do fuel injection services, I decided so seafoam my car, its a 97 ek hatch with a b16a2 in it, so it smoked its ass off when we ran it thru and ran good after i was finished for a little while, now the icav is fucked up and when i start it, it pours out blue smoke like the valve seals went bad, before i seafoamed it the car ran fine now the idle is erratic and its smoking on cold start... anyone else had this problem I really do not feel like replacing the valve seals and the icav is mass expensive... anyone who has used this and had problems let me know please
Did you pour the sea foam in the engine?
Old 02-17-2012, 07:13 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

How do you know the IACV is fucked up? The only thing the seafoam could have done is clogged up the screen or the bypass passage, and either of those should be fixed with a simple cleaning.

And why did a fuel injection shop think that seafoam was a good idea? It's just solvent in a can, and you just gamble about what problems are caused by dumping solvent into various parts of an engine.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:17 PM
Registered Member

Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy.

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
How do you know the IACV is fucked up? The only thing the seafoam could have done is clogged up the screen or the bypass passage, and either of those should be fixed with a simple cleaning.

And why did a fuel injection shop think that seafoam was a good idea? It's just solvent in a can, and you just gamble about what problems are caused by dumping solvent into various parts of an engine.
I wanna know how an induction service messed up the valve seals. I didn't know fuel entered the engine through the valve cover.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:17 PM
WEEEEEEEEEEE

TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT

Sounds like it cleaned out the lacquer/resins holding your shit together.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:22 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by TATTRAT
Sounds like it cleaned out the lacquer/resins holding your shit together.
I don't know which is scarier, the varnish or the solvent capable of removing it.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:23 PM
WEEEEEEEEEEE

TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT

I have a few friends that swear by the shit, and run it every 6months or so, I am really, REALLY skeptical. I don't know that it is worth the risk.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:25 PM
Registered Member

crxmatt crxmatt crxmatt crxmatt crxmatt crxmatt crxmatt crxmatt crxmatt crxmatt crxmatt

the iacv was on its way out anyway and I cleaned it about 3 times already it was buzzing before I ran it through it, i pulled a p0505 code and is running in an open loop at 1500 rpms and it has a shutter to it when you let off the gas and accelerate, but I still think it was a bad idea to use this, and the reason I believe the valve stem seals went bad is because it has a cloud of blue smoke coming out of the exhaust when it has been sitting for a while, and yes it is risky and defiantly not worth it, Im pissed at myself for doing this lol

Last edited by crxmatt; 02-17-2012 at 08:29 PM.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:30 PM
WEEEEEEEEEEE

the iacv was on its way out anyway and I cleaned it about 3 times already it was buzzing before I ran it through it, i pulled a p0505 code and is running in an open loop at 1500 rpms and it has a shutter to it when you let off the gas, but I still think it was a bad idea to use this, and the reason I believe the valve stem seals went bad is because it has a cloud of blue smoke coming out of the exhaust when it has been sitting for a while

How long are you running it, after sitting. You will still get smoke plumes from what I have seen, even after a while. How long did you run it after the treatment?

If you knew the IACV was on it's way out, why did you do it?
Old 02-17-2012, 08:58 PM
Registered Member

the iacv was on its way out anyway and I cleaned it about 3 times already it was buzzing before I ran it through it, i pulled a p0505 code and is running in an open loop at 1500 rpms and it has a shutter to it when you let off the gas and accelerate, but I still think it was a bad idea to use this, and the reason I believe the valve stem seals went bad is because it has a cloud of blue smoke coming out of the exhaust when it has been sitting for a while, and yes it is risky and defiantly not worth it, Im pissed at myself for doing this lol
How much did you use? You know half a bottle is for like 8 gallons correct?

Quick Reply: f-ing seafoam