Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

fender cutting into tire??? 240 owners help

Old 09-05-2005, 06:13 AM
nannerpus, nannerpus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these parts
Default Re: fender cutting into tire??? 240 owners help

that rsr racing link was a good one, you just have to spend the time figuring it out. it's not really suspension basics, but wheel basics.

it's like this... the first line is the outside of the wheel, the second line is the imaginary line where the wheel will sit up against the rotor where you bolt it up, and the third line is the inside of the wheel.

|..|.....| positive offset. (usually measured in mm). like.. +15, +35, etc.. the higher the offset, the farther towards the outside of the wheel the middle line will be.
|.....|..| negative offset.
|....|....| 0 offset. (perfectly center)

if that makes any sense.
Old 09-05-2005, 06:22 AM
still alive

gpeele gpeele gpeele gpeele gpeele gpeele

ok i get what youre saying, whenever you see negative camber on a car its usually rear wheel drive. i guess the guys that run over fenders and fender flares use negative offsets to get a wider stance for better cornering.

sport compact car did a multi month write up on different aspects of suspension tuning and how they affect the car. its really good reading. a lot of it comes from common sense, kinda like tuning an engine, but you can royally screw things up if you dont know what youre doing. i know its just a game but gran turismo 4 has rediculously realistic physics and i would start monkeying around with suspension settings on a car your familiar with, like a sileighty:P, and see how camber, toe and damper setting affect your turn in, exit acceleration, high speed stability and crap like that. i was able to get my sileighty to pretty much behave like my 240. only thing i dont like is you cant set up tire pressures which can make a big difference. it takes a lot of time to figure out what your doing but some light reading will help speed the process.

well im going to go ahead and buy the tires, their only like $50 a shot anyway. if they dont fit ill see if the tire guy will let me swap a size down to 235.
Old 09-05-2005, 06:25 AM
still alive

gpeele gpeele gpeele gpeele gpeele gpeele

Originally Posted by Carter
that rsr racing link was a good one, you just have to spend the time figuring it out. it's not really suspension basics, but wheel basics.

it's like this... the first line is the outside of the wheel, the second line is the imaginary line where the wheel will sit up against the rotor where you bolt it up, and the third line is the inside of the wheel.

|..|.....| positive offset. (usually measured in mm). like.. +15, +35, etc.. the higher the offset, the farther towards the outside of the wheel the middle line will be.
|.....|..| negative offset.
|....|....| 0 offset. (perfectly center)

if that makes any sense.
so i guess the guys who use negative offset either have very shallow wheel wells or are running very wide wheels, like the clowns that run around with the huge deep dishs or the rear wheels on a drag car.
Old 09-05-2005, 07:22 AM
nannerpus, nannerpus

Carter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these parts

it depends on the design of the body, too. some cars can take negative offset wheels and it looks right. i think all trucks run negative offset.