Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

GSR jumping at 3,000 rpms

Old 05-10-2011, 09:15 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
retro is a name known to allretro is a name known to allretro is a name known to allretro is a name known to allretro is a name known to allretro is a name known to allretro is a name known to all
Default Re: GSR jumping at 3,000 rpms

Ok appreciate it fab, "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Fabrik8 again."

Would anyone happen to believe it could be my injectors? When i bring this up at shops and try to explain, most said it could be my injectors misfeeding. But most shops are usually wrong...
Old 05-10-2011, 09:29 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

If it's stumbling while under load, and it only happens over a fairly narrow RPM range, most likely injectors aren't the problem. Pretty much all injector problems happen over a large RPM range, because the problem is usually related to a broken injector or clogged injector or a problem with injector power supply. If the injector is clogged and can't flow enough (or consistently enough), the problem won't magically disappear at higher RPM or higher load when the fuel demand is still increasing.

If you're at the gym one day, you wouldn't be able to bench press 100 pounds, be unable to bench press 200 pounds because you're not strong enough, but then be able to bench press 300 pounds. Does that make sense...?

The problem is most likely a sensor problem, and something is happening during the RPM range you're talking about. If it works fine after the 4500 RPM you're talking about, the engine is getting enough air, getting enough fuel, getting spark, etc. Most likely a sensor is making the ECU confused during that RPM range.

Is this completely based on RPM, or does it change with different amounts of throttle (engine load) also?

Last edited by Fabrik8; 05-10-2011 at 09:33 PM.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:35 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

By the way, the reason that the distributor seemed to go back to normal is that the ECU started changing the short- and long-term trim parameters that it learns and stores. That's what you're erasing when someone tells you to reset the ECU by unplugging it or disconnecting the battery.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:32 PM
Registered Member

retro is a name known to allretro is a name known to allretro is a name known to allretro is a name known to allretro is a name known to allretro is a name known to allretro is a name known to all

Well fab, its kinda of a mixture of engine load and RPM. But id say it's more based on the RPM and i forgot to mention that my tach meter bounces around like hell when it hits exactly 2,900-3,000 RPM. But i think most of the problem is leaning towards the ecu and im deffinatly going in for a re-tune as soon as i get the money. Would you happen to know how much a preservative tune would be from a shop like inlinePro?

and fabrik i appreciate all your typing and suggestions on this thread, definitely going to +rep you as soon as im able to haha.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:46 PM
Racetracks

I haven't priced Honda tunes in a while, but it shouldn't take too long because you're not too far removed from a B16 tune most likely.

The jumpy tach could just be a symptom of a stumbling engine that is accelerating and decelerating a lot during that RPM range.
Old 05-12-2011, 06:45 AM
certified asshole

crasy87rexsi crasy87rexsi crasy87rexsi crasy87rexsi crasy87rexsi crasy87rexsi

Swapping parts from a known working vehicle is never a bad thing......
Old 05-12-2011, 07:59 PM
Registered Member

yeah thats true... haha but im a man of quality. I like my shit to be new. But im just gonna bring this in to a shop and see what the fucks really wrong with it.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:29 PM
certified asshole

crasy87rexsi crasy87rexsi crasy87rexsi crasy87rexsi crasy87rexsi crasy87rexsi

Yea me too, I use that as a diagnosing procedure, especially when its things that are not obvious like a seal leaking.