Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

gsr rods in ls vtec

Old 11-19-2007, 04:20 PM
Bearded.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO
Default Re: gsr rods in ls vtec

http://hondaswap.com/reference-mater...ne-list-29128/
Old 11-19-2007, 04:48 PM
Slowest HRC Member

BAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dorko
mainly b/c you could have spent the money on a GSR/R block, and it would of all had VTEC, putting vtec internals in a non-vtec block is pretty dumb.

LS's have a 89mm stroke, vs. b16's with have 77.4mm stroke, and GSR's which have 87.2mm stroke.

you do the math, LS rods are weaker, b/c they are longer.

your opinion is your opinion, but to me its just retarded.

LS rods are weaker because of design parameters. They are actually shorter than a GSR rod. (GSR 137.5mm, LS 137mm, B16 134mm.)

1.8mm in stroke will not hurt horsepower much at all. It has less than 1/4 point difference in compression at the biggest bore you can dream of punching one out to.

The reason for using the LS is because it does have a little more displacement, and to save $$$. Or, if you intend to run a turbo, as it's low compression compared to other B-series designs (see piston dome/dish displacement)

If you're running an LS/VTEC setup, it would generally be understood you'll be replacing the pistons with a higher compression piston. You're going to spend that money either way. Many run ITR, P30, or similar pistons, which produce almost un-useable compression on an LS bottom end. (11.5:1 is about all you can actually use with a proper design/etc., on pump fuel, acccording to some write-ups by major companies)
Given there's about a $200 difference in the blocks, no machining cost on the LS to remove squirters, etc., and that the GSR crank/rods, used, are about the same cost as the LS parts, it's a cheaper option to do the LS/VTEC, even with having to buy the conversion kit, and you get a more useable street engine. If the added displacement matters that much, or the compression, you could deck the block, or offset grind the crank. But for the ~3 hp difference in the stroke, under ideal conditions (pump fuel is not ideal), on a stock bore, it's basically not worth worrying about.
Old 11-19-2007, 05:46 PM
Bearded.

DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO

i understand what you're talking about.

VIEW my recent threads, and see what parts i have forsale.

i was going to use stock LS bottom end, CTR pistons, LS crank, and shotpeened LS rods.

stock LS head, with mild cam.

i was shooting for 12.0-1 CR on 93 octane, with chrome for tuning.

I KNOW what you're talking about man, i can have my own opinion. but then again, i was running CTR pistons and a ls block, your using a ls block and using everything else from other motors.

you do work. ill build a b16, see who comes out on top.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:20 PM
Registered Member

integrag is an unknown quantity at this point

i used the ls rods and they work just fine :-)
Old 11-25-2007, 08:20 PM
Registered Member

integrag is an unknown quantity at this point

with pr3 pistons and ls crank