Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

help me decide what to do!

Old 02-20-2005, 08:08 AM
SSSSSVT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
91 Hatch 91 Hatch 91 Hatch 91 Hatch 91 Hatch 91 Hatch 91 Hatch 91 Hatch 91 Hatch 91 Hatch 91 Hatch
Default Re: help me decide what to do!

if you don't have that much money, just buy a ZC engine
Old 02-20-2005, 08:11 AM
Registered Member

200+hp240sx 200+hp240sx 200+hp240sx 200+hp240sx 200+hp240sx 200+hp240sx 200+hp240sx 200+hp240sx 200+hp240sx 200+hp240sx 200+hp240sx

hey brandon, I think you should get a cheap block and build it with strong pistons and rods, find a decent head with low miles and boost around 10-15psi. It would be as much as buying the motor and having them put it in. Only difference is you have twice the horse's. Im in the middle of my first swap and its nothing big, thats why its a honda. I can understand if you live in an apartment and cant do it there or you dont have any friends that will lend you a driveway for a day or two. But seriously either go bigger motor or build a d15 and boost the hell out of it.
Old 02-20-2005, 08:15 AM
TPJ
sumospeedDOTcom

TPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the rough

dont even waste your money building a d15. why build a motor thats going to make as much or less than a b series would stock? lets say you put 2gs into a building a d15, boost it, and make 230whp, not bad. or you can just get a STOCK b series for the same money, boost that, and make the same power, more torque, and still have much more room for improvement. a.k.a. the bottom end is still stock.
Old 02-20-2005, 08:47 AM
Ghost

MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF

Enough said.
Old 02-20-2005, 10:00 AM
Bitches get Stitches

sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike

b16. i can go on for so long about how inferior the SOHC's were built as opposed to the DOHC honda motors. the obd0 b16's are incredibly cheap and with a few very key mods (lightweight flywheel,clutch, header, exhaust) it will be very quick for the amount of money you spend on it.

oh yeah also wiring in VTEC is only one wire. use the pr3 ecu and there really will not be much to it.
Old 02-20-2005, 10:02 AM
Bitches get Stitches

sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike

Originally Posted by NoReverse
dont even waste your money building a d15. why build a motor thats going to make as much or less than a b series would stock? lets say you put 2gs into a building a d15, boost it, and make 230whp, not bad. or you can just get a STOCK b series for the same money, boost that, and make the same power, more torque, and still have much more room for improvement. a.k.a. the bottom end is still stock.
i dont give a shit what you think. an unbuilt boosted honda motor is not going to last forever. boost the stock b series and it'll let go way before the built single cam will.
Old 02-20-2005, 11:32 AM
Bearded.

DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO
Exclamation Re: help me decide what to do!

Originally Posted by NoReverse
honestly... the d15b7 swap is whack. it pulls harder than the stock motor, but itll get walked on by anything else. i had a 1.6L sohc d16y7 just as a replacement motor and I walked on d15b's all day. its honestly not worth the money. if you have the money to pay tuners edge to do the swap, then you should easily have the money for an LS swap, you can usually find one for less than 1000 without a problem. then just get a couple friends together to do the swap, its quite simple.
its not a d15b7 swap....its the JDM d15b swap...d15b7 motors come here in the civic dx's and shit...

the d15b comes form the civics vti in japan....and its got vtec....*woohoo* how much will it cost to do all this liek i have stated above??? tuners edge to put it in, get motor shipped to them, wire vtec, and convert from obd0, and put a camber kit on, and tune a lil bit so its perfect....i think ima run a chipped p28 or somethign....not decided on the ECU yet or the specs for it either...but this is all goign down in about 1 week, so any tips/pointers/advice/would be great....but i gettin the D15b swap, so no more motor choices or ne thign jsut what i should do to it..

and alos i have a question....this car (the 90 dx hatch) i drove it yesterday, and the power is almost non-existant, he said the cat was clooged...liek i was in first gear and i was flooring it, and i swear to god it took about 10 seconds for me to hit the shift lite....??? is this the cat/resonator clogged up liek he says???

let me know thankx

Last edited by DORKO; 02-20-2005 at 12:11 PM.
Old 02-20-2005, 11:34 AM
Bitches get Stitches

Originally Posted by dorko
its not a d15b7 swap....its the JDM d15b swap...d15b7 motors come here in the civic dx's and shit...

the d15b comes form the civics xsi in japan....and how much will it cost to do all this liek i have stated above??? tuners edge to put it in, get motor shipped to them, wire vtec, and convert from obd0, and put a camber kit on, and tune a lil bit so its perfect....i think ima run a chipped p28 or somethign....not decided on the ECU yet or the specs for it either...but this is all goign down in about 1 week, so any tips/pointers/advice/would be great....but i gettin the D15b swap, so no more motor choices or ne thign jsut what i should do to it..

and alos i have a question....this car (the 90 dx hatch) i drove it yesterday, and the power is almost non-existant, he said the cat was clooged...liek i was in first gear and i was flooring it, and i swear to god it took about 10 seconds for me to hit the shift lite....??? is this the cat/resonator clogged up liek he says???

let me know thankx
yeah, a clogged cat can do that. too much backpressure on the motor and it can't rev. unbolt the cat from the header and see if the power comes back. if it does, you have a clogged exhaust somewhere behind the header. as far as what to do to the single cam, opening up the exhaust made a lot of improvement on my z6. also a lightweight flywheel made a HUGE difference.
Old 02-20-2005, 11:37 AM
Bearded.

DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO

yea i gettin full exhaust, undecided on the cam to get...(whats the best on efor the d15b)....cam gear....plugs, wires, intake, jsut the basic lil stuff that adds make 15 HP max...you know....

but im sellign my car to him, and getttin his 90 hatch, and then i have 4800$ to play with ....so im gettin the motor, exhaust, rims, tires, paint job (undecided), cam, gear, clutch is brand new (stock)...ima wait till this one gives out, until i get a new stage 1 ish clutch, and im also gettin the tranny for Hmotorsonline too....unless the gears in the dx are better than that tranny?? not sure...its only 150$$$
Old 02-20-2005, 11:42 AM
Bitches get Stitches

Originally Posted by dorko
yea i gettin full exhaust, undecided on the cam to get...(whats the best on efor the d15b)....cam gear....plugs, wires, intake, jsut the basic lil stuff that adds make 15 HP max...you know....

but im sellign my car to him, and getttin his 90 hatch, and then i have 4800$ to play with ....so im gettin the motor, exhaust, rims, tires, paint job (undecided), cam, gear, clutch is brand new (stock)...ima wait till this one gives out, until i get a new stage 1 ish clutch, and im also gettin the tranny for Hmotorsonline too....unless the gears in the dx are better than that tranny?? not sure...its only 150$$$
i would highly recommend the zex 59300 cam. i ran that in my z6 and it pulled hard as shit. i pulled a couple of b16 hatches motor to motor, and the motor made so much more power w/ the cam + nitrous than on the stock cam + nitrous. and if you can swing it get an SI tranny. the dx tranny sucks ass. gears are WAY too long. PM crxsi04 on here about building a hybrid tranny even. he built an SI tranny that was geared like a b16 tranny. the tighter gears help a lot.

Quick Reply: help me decide what to do!