Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Help overheating

Old 12-01-2009, 03:18 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gsrhach has disabled reputation
Default Re: Help overheating

no shop dude have you replaced the water pump? and if the coolant was getting burned or mixed with the oil wouldnt the oil get ilky and fill up? and white smoke . i ask because i had the same problem with a previous civic i worked on it was did all that and no over heating and it was the head gasket so im thinkin water pump if it hasent been changed final also check your hoses is the top one hot and bottom one cold? and are the hoses getting alot of pressure build up ?
Old 12-01-2009, 03:30 PM
Registered Member

backtoarms backtoarms backtoarms backtoarms backtoarms backtoarms backtoarms

Originally Posted by gsrhach
no shop dude have you replaced the water pump? and if the coolant was getting burned or mixed with the oil wouldnt the oil get ilky and fill up? and white smoke . i ask because i had the same problem with a previous civic i worked on it was did all that and no over heating and it was the head gasket so im thinkin water pump if it hasent been changed final also check your hoses is the top one hot and bottom one cold? and are the hoses getting alot of pressure build up ?
Well, if the coolant is getting used, then the water pump is working.

Those are typical problems, but not ALWAYS the case.

If there aren't any leaks, then the coolant HAS to be going somewhere. Means blown head gasket or warped head.
And if most ALL cases, if the temp gauge reaches even CLOSE to hot you might as well pull that head off. Those heads warp easy as hell.

Last edited by backtoarms; 12-01-2009 at 03:42 PM.
Old 12-01-2009, 03:31 PM
Registered Member

Also, make sure your passenger's side floorboard isn't wet... lol
Old 12-01-2009, 06:21 PM
Registered Member

rotaryking has disabled reputation

ill check on all the when i get he chance and yea i was thinking head gasket but all the usual signs arent showing with the milky coolant and white smoke, warped head could be the problem, besides heating up what are some other symptoms if you have a warped head
Old 12-01-2009, 07:26 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by rotaryking
ill check on all the when i get he chance and yea i was thinking head gasket but all the usual signs arent showing with the milky coolant and white smoke, warped head could be the problem, besides heating up what are some other symptoms if you have a warped head
Well, coolant being used - but no leaks is a pretty sure sign... as it HAS to go somewhere. Either leakinging or into the cylinder(s). The cooling system is pretty simple.
Old 12-02-2009, 03:18 AM
Registered Member

yea it is and if it does boil down to the headgasket while u have the head out send it to a machine shop and have it checked for the warpage and have it resurfaced .. also a leak down and compression test wouldnt hurt
Old 12-02-2009, 03:33 AM
Registered Member

Also had this problem in my hach . I was driving home from work and the heat shot up quick . I checked it out and alot of the coolant was gone ( came out of the overflow) . I filled it up ,let it heat up, upper radiator hose was hot as hell and lower was cool and alot of pressure in the upper line . i changed the thermostat out first . still had the problem so next i moved to water pump and while i was there timing belt and tentioner came with the water pump change . and after said and dun problem solved . depending on what you working on my water pump and all that only took me a couple hours to change, granite i have a shop to work in
Old 12-02-2009, 08:42 AM
Registered Member

rotaryking has disabled reputation

yea im gonna go check the coolant lines to see if it is similar to how yours where, and if not im probly just gonna take the head to the machine shop and see what they say, anyone know roughly how much they charge
Old 12-02-2009, 09:03 AM
Registered Member

forced4gsix3 has a reputation beyond reputeforced4gsix3 has a reputation beyond reputeforced4gsix3 has a reputation beyond reputeforced4gsix3 has a reputation beyond reputeforced4gsix3 has a reputation beyond reputeforced4gsix3 has a reputation beyond reputeforced4gsix3 has a reputation beyond reputeforced4gsix3 has a reputation beyond reputeforced4gsix3 has a reputation beyond repute

Take it to Apples. Chad is the man, and he's inexpensive. He got a brand new head lathe last year.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:03 AM
Registered Member

depends on what you get dun i just had a head resurfaced and valves laped and a bunch of stuff but i think to check it and resurface it was 90$

Quick Reply: Help overheating