Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

How to test a relay?

Old 09-28-2010, 03:14 PM
ATGATT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike
Default How to test a relay?

How can I test the pictured relay to see if it's the reason the A/C won't engage?
Old 09-28-2010, 03:28 PM
-RepLegion

Mau5head Mau5head Mau5head Mau5head Mau5head Mau5head Mau5head Mau5head Mau5head Mau5head Mau5head
Default Re: How to test a relay?

put sand in it then wrap it in bacon. if that doesnt work blame allah jackoffasourus
Old 09-28-2010, 03:35 PM
superuser

Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd

i was gonna write it out, but here's a visual via youtube video.

no need to take the battery out of the car, just make sure you can hit the terminals and listen for the click, sounds like a queer snapping his fingers.

[youtube]3JB63ebFfgU[/youtube]
Old 09-28-2010, 03:40 PM
ATGATT

marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike

There isn't simply a pair of terminals on the car side that I can jump that would make the car think the relay was switched on? I was thinking maybe 3 and 1? I don't think the test in the vid works with a time delay relay (because I'd need an electricity source to heat up the time delay circuit...I think).

Last edited by marlinspike; 09-28-2010 at 03:43 PM.
Old 09-28-2010, 05:03 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Pins 4 and 5 are the relay coil, which is where you want to apply 12V power to test if the relay is turning on or not. That is what switches the relay. Pins 1 and 3 are the relay contacts, which is what you want to check resistance across when the relay is switched. I'm not exactly sure what is in the relay to make it time delay, but I'm assuming that it's a bi-metallic element that heats and cools depending on whether power is applied or not (similar to how many turn signal flasher relays work).

You should check that schematic and see which terminal on the relay coil goes to ground, and which goes to 12V. Most relays don't matter, and will work either way because the presence of the magnetic field (caused by current through the relay coil) is all that matters. However, some relays have things like flyback diodes built in to the coil, so it's wise to pay attention to terminal polarity just to be safe. You have the schematics so it's easy enough to see what goes where.
Old 09-28-2010, 05:06 PM
ATGATT

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
but I'm assuming that it's a bi-metallic element that heats and cools depending on whether power is applied or not (similar to how many turn signal flasher relays work).
Yes it is.

And 5 is ground.

I had no idea that's how turn signal relays work though. That's pretty awesome. Bi-metallic strips are all over this car, even in the fuel injection.

Last edited by marlinspike; 09-28-2010 at 05:08 PM.
Old 09-28-2010, 05:14 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Not all turn signal relays work like that, many newer cars are controlled by the body controller to turn on/off/on/off and are just a regular relay. That's the much better way to do it IMO, and the flash rate isn't dependent on the load so it won't blink relay fast if a bulb blows out. Thermal flashers have a lot of drawbacks...

So apply 12V to term 4, apply ground to term 5, and check continuity across 1 and 3. If you get anything but a really low resistance across the switch terminals (1 and 3), the contacts are corroded, eroded, or have insulating carbon deposits on them.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 09-28-2010 at 05:17 PM.
Old 09-28-2010, 05:18 PM
ATGATT

Not all turn signal relays work like that, many newer cars are controlled by the body controller to turn on/off/on/off and are just a regular relay. That's the much better way to do it IMO, and the flash rate isn't dependent on the load so it won't blink relay fast if a bulb blows out. Thermal flashers have a lot of drawbacks...
I always thought the fast blinking was a nice feature - let's you know that you have a burned out bulb without having some ridiculous LED display in your instrument cluster.
Old 09-28-2010, 05:20 PM
ATGATT

So apply 12V to term 4, apply ground to term 5, and check continuity across 1 and 3. If you get anything but a really low resistance across the switch terminals (1 and 3), the contacts are corroded, eroded, or have insulating carbon deposits on them.
Easier said than done...I don't have any alligator clips
Old 09-28-2010, 05:44 PM
Racetracks

Originally Posted by marlinspike
Easier said than done...I don't have any alligator clips
Sadly, I can't help you at all with that one. But Radio Shack can.

Quick Reply: How to test a relay?