Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

How to test a relay?

Old 09-28-2010, 06:10 PM
ATGATT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike
Default Re: How to test a relay?

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Sadly, I can't help you at all with that one. But Radio Shack can.
Leaving for work at 6:30am and getting back at 6:45pm sucks. I guess this is one for the weekend.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:09 AM
Stiff Member

Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock

Before running wires and alligator clips, just perform the test with the AC button in and then out. Does 2 things, test the AC button and the relay.

Looking a bit above the relay in the diagram, if your system pressure is low, the pressure sw wont allow the AC comp to engage. Have you put a gauge in the system?

3 and 4 is a Normally Open contact. Set your meter to beep when the coil is energaged
Old 09-29-2010, 08:22 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by Laserjock
3 and 4 is a Normally Open contact. Set your meter to beep when the coil is energaged
That should be 3 and 1. Term 4 is one of the coil terminals.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:25 AM
Double Agent HT

ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL

faster test if you dont have the tools to do the job, is pop in a new relay....
Old 09-29-2010, 08:34 AM
Stiff Member

Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock

typing wiuth gloves and number keys don't mix :you're right, i meant 3 and 1

is energaged a word? lol

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
That should be 3 and 1. Term 4 is one of the coil terminals.
Old 09-29-2010, 02:48 PM
ATGATT

marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike

Originally Posted by Laserjock
Before running wires and alligator clips, just perform the test with the AC button in and then out. Does 2 things, test the AC button and the relay.

Looking a bit above the relay in the diagram, if your system pressure is low, the pressure sw wont allow the AC comp to engage. Have you put a gauge in the system?

I haven't checked the pressure, but it was cooling strong right before it stopped working at all. That and I tried jumping the pressure switch, and it still didn't turn on the A/C.

Originally Posted by ILLEGAL
faster test if you dont have the tools to do the job, is pop in a new relay....
I have a bunch of relays, but they don't have the time delay. Can I just stick one of them in for the purpose of the test?
Old 09-29-2010, 06:20 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

You can use another relay for testing if you want. The time delay is usually to add hysteresis or to keep a control loop from latching into a particular state, so without the right relay the system may not turn on and off exactly the right way... A regular relay should be able to tell you enough to know if the time delay relay is bad though.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:42 PM
ATGATT

Cool, I'll just borrow the wiper relay.
Old 09-30-2010, 12:44 PM
ATGATT

Ok, so it's not the relay. And it's not the low pressure switch. I doubt it's the pushbutton unit because that has 3 buttons that each call the A/C into action, and none of them will turn on the compressor. That and if you somehow make the unit so no buttons are pushed it defaults to compressor on, and that isn't turning on the compressor either.

Anybody have any other ideas? Here is the full diagram.

Old 09-30-2010, 02:46 PM
Slowest HRC Member

BAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond repute

Yes - Take the connector off the clutch assembly. Measure the voltage across there. See if it is turning on.
If yes, then clutch assembly is problem.
If no -
Measure ground side to battery positive and negative with ohmeter. (Key Off) Should have no short to battery positive, and little or no resistance to ground.
Do the same with the power wire, should definitely not have any continuity with ground.

Make sure both fuses shown in the diagram are good.
If there's any doubt it's the control side, verify you have power at relay pin 30. Measure it to battery ground.
If you have power at pin 30, put a jumper wire between 30 and 87. This will energize the clutch. Should work at that point.
If no, then fix power feed issue to pin 30.
If yes - you need to check pins 85 and 86, and ensure they are energizing.

Please note - Make sure you have a mechanical fan, or that your electric fan is working. If the electric fan is not working, you will have no A/C at idle and/or low speeds.

Need any additional help, PM me for a phone #.

Quick Reply: How to test a relay?