Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

HP and drag buffs what do you think?

Old 10-20-2008, 03:31 PM
Racetracks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: HP and drag buffs what do you think?

Originally Posted by SMOKEYBEAR
I would find some weight to take off the front before I added weight to the back.
To the OP:

The reasoning behind that has to do with moments (otherwise known as torque). You're trying to rotate the front of the car around the rear axle, making the front lift. The farther away from the rear axle you are, the more force it takes to move a pound of weight off the ground. Simply stated, think in terms of weight times distance from the axle. If you have 10 pounds at 1.5 feet away from the axle, it will take much less force to lift than 10 pounds at 5 feet away from the axle (or longer with a 101 inch wheelbase Camaro). So the torque required to lift 10 lbs at 1.5 feet away is 15 lb*ft, and the torque to lift 10 lbs at 8.5 feet away (Camaro wheelbase length) is 85 lb*ft.

So that's a pretty compelling argument that SmokyBear made, eh?

By the way, that doesn't directly correlate to engine torque, but you can do some math and figure out that the relationship is.

On a side note, I have no idea how GM managed to make a 101" wheelbase vehicle appear so incredibly long, but I guess it's all in that wonderful (lol) body styling. I'm sure some people like it, I'm just not one of them.

This is why a pound removed from the front is much more useful than a pound added to the rear, and the reason that the best wheelstanding cars are usually very short (or are rear engined). The closer the engine is to the rear axle, the less force is needed. A pound is a pound when the car is driving down the road, but a pound is not necessarily a pound when you have to move it in relation to something else.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 10-20-2008 at 03:47 PM.