Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

I got a thinker for all you B16 guys

Old 11-02-2009, 06:54 PM
loved by all

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ForcedFedTeg is infamous around these partsForcedFedTeg is infamous around these partsForcedFedTeg is infamous around these partsForcedFedTeg is infamous around these partsForcedFedTeg is infamous around these partsForcedFedTeg is infamous around these partsForcedFedTeg is infamous around these partsForcedFedTeg is infamous around these partsForcedFedTeg is infamous around these partsForcedFedTeg is infamous around these partsForcedFedTeg is infamous around these parts
Default Re: I got a thinker for all you B16 guys

Edit: Stupid iPhone double post.

Last edited by ForcedFedTeg; 11-02-2009 at 06:59 PM.
Old 11-02-2009, 06:58 PM
loved by all

ForcedFedTeg is infamous around these partsForcedFedTeg is infamous around these partsForcedFedTeg is infamous around these partsForcedFedTeg is infamous around these partsForcedFedTeg is infamous around these partsForcedFedTeg is infamous around these partsForcedFedTeg is infamous around these partsForcedFedTeg is infamous around these partsForcedFedTeg is infamous around these partsForcedFedTeg is infamous around these partsForcedFedTeg is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by nagger
is it worth a damn ill trade you another r1 for it.
WTF man. U tried to trade ur SI for my R1 and now u want to give me ur R1 for my SI? Lol. That's pretty fuckin funny. Why don't u want it anymore? And thanks for the help by the way. I'll have to look more into it tomorrow.
Old 11-02-2009, 06:58 PM
Still spinnin'

Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n

Originally Posted by ForcedFedTeg
What is involved with a leakdowm test? and there is no way in hell I'm selling this thing. My brother has owned it for over 7 years and it is going to stay in the family for atleast a couple more.
air compressor, and same shit you use to do the compression test. set the gauge to 100psi and see what the right hand needle goes too shouldnt be no more than 10%
Old 11-02-2009, 08:07 PM
Registered Member

SmokeCRX has disabled reputation

Not much of a thinker....lol. Seen and fixed alot of these for this issue. I would pretty much forget doing a leakdown test......pointless for the most part and most poeple dont have the correct tool. If I were to place a bet....you've burnt a hole in one of the exhaust valves on the #3 cyl. due to worn piston rings from high rpm usage. This is very common on Vtec motors that are run hard. I would guess your brother prob didnt baby the car...lol. Only way to correctly fix is to pull the head and oil pan and replace the burnt valve and the piston rings on that cyl. At this point most would say go ahead and do all of the rings and new bearings depending on the mileage of the motor. Its your call. You could just replace the valve...but it WILL happen again...and faster than the first time. So if you go that route its a band-aid on a bullet wound. All depends on how much money (and time) you wanna devote to it. Also, if you're not used to doin this kinda work this is a big job to jump into....Good luck bro.
Old 11-03-2009, 02:51 AM
Registered Member

brandon.beene can only hope to improve

Fuck, I didn't even think of that. My buddy had a hole in his piston about 2 weeks ago too. From detonation. Either way dude you gotta take the motor apart if that's your problem. Goood luck.
Old 11-03-2009, 02:52 AM
loved by all

Re: I got a thinker for all you B16 guys

Originally Posted by SmokeCRX
Not much of a thinker....lol. Seen and fixed alot of these for this issue. I would pretty much forget doing a leakdown test......pointless for the most part and most poeple dont have the correct tool. If I were to place a bet....you've burnt a hole in one of the exhaust valves on the #3 cyl. due to worn piston rings from high rpm usage. This is very common on Vtec motors that are run hard. I would guess your brother prob didnt baby the car...lol. Only way to correctly fix is to pull the head and oil pan and replace the burnt valve and the piston rings on that cyl. At this point most would say go ahead and do all of the rings and new bearings depending on the mileage of the motor. Its your call. You could just replace the valve...but it WILL happen again...and faster than the first time. So if you go that route its a band-aid on a bullet wound. All depends on how much money (and time) you wanna devote to it. Also, if you're not used to doin this kinda work this is a big job to jump into....Good luck bro.
Thanks man. That helps out a lot. Doing the work isn't the problem it's my time restraints on usig my friends garage. He doesn't want my shit sitting there for weeks. I'm considering just buying a longblock and being done with it.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:25 PM
Registered Member

SmokeCRX has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by brandon.beene
Fuck, I didn't even think of that. My buddy had a hole in his piston about 2 weeks ago too. From detonation. Either way dude you gotta take the motor apart if that's your problem. Goood luck.
That can happen...but he said it just started to run on 3. If he had a detonation problem (I'd hope) he would have known about it b4 a cyl went completely dead. lol.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:24 AM
Registered Member

brandon.beene can only hope to improve
Talking Re: I got a thinker for all you B16 guys

Originally Posted by SmokeCRX
That can happen...but he said it just started to run on 3. If he had a detonation problem (I'd hope) he would have known about it b4 a cyl went completely dead. lol.
True,

I'm telling you its ninja's. They come in the middle of the night and do crazy things to your motor, so when u start it you have all sorts of problems... Damn ninja's. Lol
Good luck with correcting your problem bro.
Old 11-04-2009, 01:28 PM
loved by all

also to smokecrx. My brother did beat the shit out of the car constintly. And he checked the compression a couple months ago and noticed that the #3 cylinder had pretty low compression. So what you're saying makes complete sense.
Old 11-04-2009, 01:32 PM
loved by all

would anyone be interested in buying the complete swap out of this car? would include the motor as is and everything else needed for a swap. The motor has 152k miles on it and just got a refurbished tranny and new clutch and flywheel.

Im thinking about swaping in a GSR or type r just to be done with it.

Quick Reply: I got a thinker for all you B16 guys