Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

JDM H22 will not crack vtec help please!!!

Old 02-28-2008, 07:39 PM
back in a coupe.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MGXhatch is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: JDM H22 will not crack vtec help please!!!

+1 on the speedo. If your speed sensor isn't working, the programming in the computer has to be set to bypass that check in order for vtec to engage. Oil pressure, speed, rpm, and operating temp all gotta be at a certain value or range for the system to work properly.

Also, I'm not sure how it works on H22's or P13 ECUs but diagnostic codes sometimes cause limp mode, which will, among other things, cause vtec to not work. I'd try sorting out the EGR code and fixing the idle fluctuation, resetting the ECU, and taking it for a road test (warmed up, several different pulls from different gears/speeds).
Old 02-28-2008, 08:12 PM
S.N.F.

94jdmlude is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: JDM H22 will not crack vtec help please!!!

Originally Posted by MGXhatch
+1 on the speedo. If your speed sensor isn't working, the programming in the computer has to be set to bypass that check in order for vtec to engage. Oil pressure, speed, rpm, and operating temp all gotta be at a certain value or range for the system to work properly.

Also, I'm not sure how it works on H22's or P13 ECUs but diagnostic codes sometimes cause limp mode, which will, among other things, cause vtec to not work. I'd try sorting out the EGR code and fixing the idle fluctuation, resetting the ECU, and taking it for a road test (warmed up, several different pulls from different gears/speeds).
no his speedo works fine...
Old 02-29-2008, 07:36 AM
Hello Novian

bolivianfuego has disabled reputation

Limp mode for H22s, wont let u hit vtec also.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:49 AM
Slowest HRC Member

BAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nasty4d
Ok here is what i got its a H22a in a 93 civic sedan. Im running a spoon chipped p13 and a external MSD coil. I know its not the ECU i ran a friends chipped P28 tuned for his car and still nothing, I've changed the vtec solinoid. It does throw a code for EGR but im not running it, i have it blocked off. Vtec is wired correctly, and still nothing. It does idle up and down because of the iac, But from what i understand won't cause it not to crack. Other then whats mentioned it runs good and strong. It does have great oil pressure as well above spec. Compresion was about 240 across the board. I can't think of anything else off hand the i've tried, Can anyone give me some ideas or help me out? Thanks for any helpful info!
Basic Potentials -
In CROME/Hondata/Etc.:
- There is a VTEC Pressure check that could cause it not to come on- VTEC Oil pressure sending unit failed?
- There is a Speed Check - If set, it may not engage below a certain speed, or at all if the speed sensor has failed?
- There is a coolant temperature check - It will not start if the engine is not warmed up, or possibly the coolant temp sensor it's looking for info from, has failed?
Mechanically :
- It has a screen for the VTEC Pressure Switch that could be stopped up.
- The VTEC Pressure Switch has failed (Also see CROME)
- The VTEC Solenoid has failed
- The oil pump is not working as it should be, and there is not enough pressure
- The oil filter is stopped up, or defective, and it's not getting the proper oil pressure
- The oil is too thin when warm, and the oil pressure is not high enough
Electrically:
- Wiring to any of the aforementioned sensors
- Wiring to the computer

What to check? Disable all checks in the programming, then use a voltmeter to ensure the computer is trying to enable the solenoid. If it is not, ensure the Pressure switch is giving the proper output, if so, then it's not mechanical. It's in the wiring/computer. If the pressure switch is not giving a proper output to the computer, then it's mechanical, and start checking to find out what it is!
Old 02-29-2008, 07:49 AM
Slowest HRC Member

BAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bolivianfuego
Limp mode for H22s, wont let u hit vtec also.
Limp mode will also limit the motor to approx 3000 rpm....And could be triggered by a LOT of different sensor issues....
Old 02-29-2008, 08:45 AM
Hello Novian

bolivianfuego has disabled reputation

I could be mistaken but with my 01' lude back then i could still rev over 3k even in limp mode(thanks to my test pipe lol).
Old 02-29-2008, 09:19 AM
S.N.F.

94jdmlude is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: JDM H22 will not crack vtec help please!!!

Originally Posted by HondaRules!
Limp mode will also limit the motor to approx 3000 rpm....And could be triggered by a LOT of different sensor issues....
its not in limp mode bc its reving passed 3k
Old 02-29-2008, 09:28 AM
Registered Member

EGCivicSi has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by HondaRules!
since when does a CEL (limp mode) cause the car not to rev past 3K RPM unless it (CEL) has something to do with crank positioning sensor, which he is not getting that CEL for!
Old 02-29-2008, 09:57 AM
Registered member

cleanEK is a jewel in the roughcleanEK is a jewel in the roughcleanEK is a jewel in the roughcleanEK is a jewel in the roughcleanEK is a jewel in the rough

My car went into limp mode once but my limp mode was at 5,200 Rpms and wouldnt let vtec engage. I was just really low on oil lol
Old 02-29-2008, 02:57 PM
Bearded.

DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO

FYI: oil pressure and compression are 2 different things.

you could have great compression but shitt oil presure. your vtec still wont pop.

but im leaning towards a wiring issue, since you have a ECu that is for the motor but dosent work, you've tried a friends working vtec ECU, and still nothing.

sounds like electrical to me?

trace your wires all the way back to the sillynoid, and then to the ECU.

my .02!

Quick Reply: JDM H22 will not crack vtec help please!!!