Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

just bought my first turbocharged car and now i'm confused

Old 08-03-2010, 07:59 AM
mmmmmm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake
Default Re: just bought my first turbocharged car and now i'm confused

pictures of engine bay please. I would like to see how the turbo build is set up.

<-------- 96 Celica owner here

fabrik8, it is a custom turbo build, no US celicas were factory turbo.

pictures please, the build list seems like the guy went way overboard for a car that is probably no more than 190hp right now. Which is pretty much your limit on a 7afe motor. There are no internal parts listed so everything motor wise is stock. By overboard I am talking about the 460 injectors, 315s cover 200hp, 360s are safe. 460s are just nuts, must have been a bang on deal for them.

oh, and join 6gc.net there is a turbo section/ forced induction, I suggest you read everything in there. A special note about that forum, most of the people are dumb as fuck so if it reads like they are talking out their ass, they are.

Last edited by Harold_Fastwake; 08-03-2010 at 08:11 AM.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:17 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by Harold_Fastwake
fabrik8, it is a custom turbo build, no US celicas were factory turbo.
Weren't the All-Tracs factory turbo? I've never paid attention to Celicas very much, but there are a shitload of All-Tracs here in Colorado and I thought they were turbo'd. Maybe I read too many magazines from other countries.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:21 AM
Registered Member

grant90 has disabled reputation

+1
Originally Posted by Delbanner
1: Loosen oil cap. Look underneath. Check for creamy gunk inside the cap itself, in a consistency similar to a milkshake. Indicator that coolant and oil are intermixing = Blown Head Gasket (BHG).

2: Start car, let idle for 5 ~ 6 minutes. Shut off car. Let car cool down enough so that radiator can be touched. Loosen radiator cap. Inhale just enough to catch a whiff of the ambient fumes at the top. If you smell exhaust fumes or gasoline in the coolant = possible Blown Head Gasket (BHG).

3: CHANGE THE OIL.

4: Do a compression test on the cylinders. Test results should be between 5~15 of one another. If a cylinder is WAY OFF from the others, integrity to the cylinder could be compromised allowing coolant to leak in the valves = BHG.

5: Do a radiator leak test. If the radiator has weakened or open areas, coolant will escape from the engine and eventually cause the block to warp due to inconsistant cooling = BHG.

6: Go through the engine bay and check ALL hoses for splitting or fluid/spray. Check chassis under and around engine for oil gunk and wet coolant, highlighting problem areas for hose/seal replacement. Clean the engine bay and check for further leaks after it has dried by placing cardboard under the car and run it for about 10 minutes.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:37 AM
mmmmmm

Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Weren't the All-Tracs factory turbo? I've never paid attention to Celicas very much, but there are a shitload of All-Tracs here in Colorado and I thought they were turbo'd. Maybe I read too many magazines from other countries.
yeah, the 5th generation all-trac was the us turbo model. Sorry, should have been specific, no 6th generation celicas in the US came turbo. The Gt-4/all trac for the 6th gen was never brought here. He has an ST which is a 90hp to the wheels 7afe motor which is also used in the same model years corolla. Stock the motor can handle roughly 210ish hp at crank. Parts start to go boom after that.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:33 AM
Banned

White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil

Originally Posted by Harold_Fastwake
yeah, the 5th generation all-trac was the us turbo model. Sorry, should have been specific, no 6th generation celicas in the US came turbo. The Gt-4/all trac for the 6th gen was never brought here. He has an ST which is a 90hp to the wheels 7afe motor which is also used in the same model years corolla. Stock the motor can handle roughly 210ish hp at crank. Parts start to go boom after that.
I was going to say that car wasnt stock by any means, and just as you pointed out, it wont take much in the way of upgrades to blow it sky high. I hope the engine was swapped out before the previous owner shoehorned in all that stuff.

OP, you REALLY need to read up on the fundamentals of turbochargers, how they work, WHY they work, etc, so youll know why your car is doing what its doing. We are going to need specifics on this engine in the car to help you out further, not to mention pix.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:41 AM
Registered Member

12345r has disabled reputation

iam sure u have a ebay turbo and there junk from the start. they might last a month before the seals go bad thats why there 150 put a new turbo on it. my buddys car does the same thing replace turbo no more smoke and the turbo was 2 days old (ebay)
Old 08-04-2010, 07:04 AM
i can take danger

sickmazdasix has disabled reputation

well i just got back from the mechanic and only recieved bad news...

needs:

new tires with alignment
new right and left engine mounts
flush and bleed clutch fluid
brake fluid flush
power steering flush
multiple oil leaks

the brake lights are not real and the guy lied about the HID's

i guess i just learned a real expensive life lesson. so fuck you Allen Hogge.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:18 AM
Doesn't give a fuck

TwistnBrn..Rubr TwistnBrn..Rubr TwistnBrn..Rubr TwistnBrn..Rubr TwistnBrn..Rubr TwistnBrn..Rubr TwistnBrn..Rubr TwistnBrn..Rubr TwistnBrn..Rubr TwistnBrn..Rubr TwistnBrn..Rubr

Originally Posted by sickmazdasix
well i just got back from the mechanic and only recieved bad news...

needs:

new tires with alignment
new right and left engine mounts
flush and bleed clutch fluid
brake fluid flush
power steering flush
multiple oil leaks

the brake lights are not real and the guy lied about the HID's

i guess i just learned a real expensive life lesson. so fuck you Allen Hogge.
What does any of that have to do with your original problem?
Old 08-04-2010, 09:19 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by 12345r
iam sure u have a ebay turbo and there junk from the start. they might last a month before the seals go bad thats why there 150 put a new turbo on it. my buddys car does the same thing replace turbo no more smoke and the turbo was 2 days old (ebay)
That's a pretty strange diagnosis to make.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:41 AM
i can take danger

sickmazdasix has disabled reputation

let me know if you need to see different angles or whatever

Quick Reply: just bought my first turbocharged car and now i'm confused