Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

keeps blowin fuse

Old 03-28-2008, 10:39 PM
braap braap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod
Default Re: keeps blowin fuse

My friends bumper would move from his charge piping hitting it and would somehow cause the fogs to ground out. He removed the charge piping and drove the car around for about a 30min. session and discovered this.

I forget what he did though to fix it.
Old 03-28-2008, 10:45 PM
D-Unit

tpt92eg tpt92eg tpt92eg tpt92eg tpt92eg tpt92eg tpt92eg tpt92eg tpt92eg tpt92eg tpt92eg

well i know sum people that have meters so ill try to get sum help with that. as for the charge pipes I WISH I WAS BOOSTIN!!! lol
Old 03-29-2008, 10:40 PM
D-Unit

tpt92eg tpt92eg tpt92eg tpt92eg tpt92eg tpt92eg tpt92eg tpt92eg tpt92eg tpt92eg tpt92eg

Well I think I figured it out!!! A friend and I messed with the foglights 2night and its in the switch. Im gonna have to find a factory switch and wire it in to the aftermarket harness.
Old 03-29-2008, 10:46 PM
Registered Member

RX7LT1 is an unknown quantity at this point

cool
Old 03-31-2008, 06:40 AM
All stock. No modify

basketthis69 has disabled reputation

gj man.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:32 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

How is the switch capable of passing enough current to ground that you're blowing the inline fuse on the relay's switched output? That switch, assuming its wired correctly, doesn't actually have a path a ground anywhere, because its just inline with a 12V wire. Plus, the relay coil should draw less than a 1/4 amp when its switched on.
Something sounds like its wired wrong..

Why is there a ground wire on the switch, are you using a cheap junky illuminated switch?
Old 04-01-2008, 10:13 PM
Registered Member

98formulaLS1 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by tpt92eg

I recently changed my EG foglights to EK/EJ foglights on my 92 VX. They worked fine for a week then it rained and the relay got wet and fried! I replaced the relay with a new one and now the 30amp inline fuse keeps blowin everytime I start the car and turn them on. Sumtimes I dont have to start the car it will just blow after a couple of min. while Im double checkin everything and puttin stuff back 2gether. I have checked all the wiring no bare wire or arcin anywhere. checked my ground and moved my ground everything Ive checked and rechecked looks good and is the way its supposed to be!!! Can any1 shed any light on the subject Im so confused. And no I have to old lights anymore! What would happen if I just did away with inline fuse? Probley fry the new relay?!
If your 30A fuse is blowing, then one of the red wires behind the fuse is connected to ground. Pull out your multimeter, and start disconnecting stuff and testing connections. Thats the only way to do it.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:32 PM
for alarms/rmt-strts

EH3_SOHC has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by 98formulaLS1
If your 30A fuse is blowing, then one of the red wires behind the fuse is connected to ground. Pull out your multimeter, and start disconnecting stuff and testing connections. Thats the only way to do it.
correct. if this does not work try swapping the relay. relays do come bad from the factory. if you have the ebay foglight kit , ask around on this board everyone has problems with the relays. when i had my si hatch i also had problems with the fuses/relays. i just went to auto zone and bought a new assembly and had no more problems. ebay uses the cheapest relays possible.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:36 AM
I Love to Hate

B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well

Originally Posted by EH3_SOHC
correct. if this does not work try swapping the relay. relays do come bad from the factory. if you have the ebay foglight kit , ask around on this board everyone has problems with the relays. when i had my si hatch i also had problems with the fuses/relays. i just went to auto zone and bought a new assembly and had no more problems. ebay uses the cheapest relays possible.
is the relay a socketed plug (only one way on) or are there female spade connectors you slide onto the relay (many plug in possibilities)? It's possible you have the current from the fuse/hot wire running in the relay and where it would normally be running hot out of the relay, your ground wire may be connected.

do you know the basics behind a relay?
Old 04-02-2008, 02:20 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by EH3_SOHC
Really cheap relays are good for that, cheap car alarms are notorious for crap relays too. Get Bosch, Omron, NAiS/Matsushita, Tyco, etc., as a real replacement.

Quick Reply: keeps blowin fuse