Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Let's talk about tuning!

Old 12-31-2012, 12:11 AM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ImKrue has disabled reputation
Default Re: Let's talk about tuning!

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
If you're talking about the 99 GSR in your signature, you're going to need an OBD1 (92-95) P72 ECU if you still have the GSR intake manifold, and an adapter harness to convert to the earlier year ECU connectors. Your 99 ECU isn't able to be chipped, which is why you need the earlier ECU.
I have a skunk 2 intake mani. I also have the stock P28 ECU. If i plan on using hondata, would I still need to get a p72? Or does that only apply if I were to "chip" this ecu?

Thanks again everyone. Tons of information, I can +rep everyone enough.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:51 AM
-Rep Legion

Broke B16 has disabled reputation

Chip the P28.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:20 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by ImKrue
I have a skunk 2 intake mani. I also have the stock P28 ECU. If i plan on using hondata, would I still need to get a p72? Or does that only apply if I were to "chip" this ecu?

Thanks again everyone. Tons of information, I can +rep everyone enough.
The P28 is the stock ECU for the single cam D16Z6. You can use it because the Skunk2 manifold doesn't have the IAB (secondary runners) that the GSR manifold does. However, the P28 doesn't have a knock sensor board, which is the primary difference between it and the P30. So the P28 will work fine after tuning, but you won't have a knock sensor. If this is an issue, use a P30. Talk to your tuner and see what they think; there is a lot of debate about the effectiveness of the OBD1 knock sensor hardware and the associated software algorithms which take action based on the sensor input, etc....
Old 01-02-2013, 05:16 PM
LowerClassLove

jdmjunky has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Beans90CRX
I've personally have had Matt Shue tune lots of my vehicles and customers as well. He definitely knows what he's doing and is worth driving a bit to have him tune for you.

Contact him and let him know what your engine setup is for the best recommendation on what engine management system to run. Although if you wan't to make a lot of power Hondata and AEM are most likely the way you'll want to go. http://www.shuetuning.net/

If hes too far there's is also the other mentioned tuners above, Ramey, Shad, etc. who I've also heard very good things about.
Not jacking your thread OP, but I'm gonna have to give this Shue guy a call and see how much he would tune my car for. I'll probably end up going to him regardless since he's close and seems to be very reputable.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:46 PM
ATGATT

marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike

I came in here hoping to read about studying wideband logs, adjusting ITB height, setting ignition timing maps, modifying mechanical and vacuum advances in timing distributors, and flow matching fuel injectors. Dang modern cars and their ECUs
Old 01-02-2013, 07:20 PM
D15b1>k20a

kf91da9 has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by marlinspike
I came in here hoping to read about studying wideband logs, adjusting ITB height, setting ignition timing maps, modifying mechanical and vacuum advances in timing distributors, and flow matching fuel injectors. Dang modern cars and their ECUs
i did too.