Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

lower ball joint

Old 12-27-2010 | 10:14 AM
Registered Member

Str8EJ has disabled reputation
Default Re: lower ball joint

Replace the ball joint.
The fact that the threaded stud is spinning freely within the housing means its shot.
Old 12-27-2010 | 10:18 AM
Dickbutt #peentip

Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin

Originally Posted by Str8EJ
Replace the ball joint.
The fact that the threaded stud is spinning freely within the housing means its shot.
This.

If you're lucky enough to get it tight, you may not be able to get it off.
Old 12-27-2010 | 10:45 AM
Digital Life

83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0

I'm takin care of it for him as soon as this snow allows me

ez mode
Old 12-27-2010 | 02:05 PM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

Originally Posted by Kris.Is.Foamin
This.

If you're lucky enough to get it tight, you may not be able to get it off.
Once it is seated in the tapered knuckle, it will not rotate any more. I have never had an issue with one spinning that could not be fixed or taken back apart.

Originally Posted by Str8EJ
Replace the ball joint.
Cite your source. Really, I want to know why that would indicate the ball joint is shot.
Old 12-27-2010 | 03:53 PM
EDM|Mugen|MK3 CRX

.Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge.

Originally Posted by HatefulMechanic
Once it is seated in the tapered knuckle, it will not rotate any more. I have never had an issue with one spinning that could not be fixed or taken back apart.
This.

And i've taken both upper and lower ball joints off a honda more times than I care to admit. Your threads might be getting messed up (by beating the ball joint loose from the knuckle) so try cleaning them up and lubricating the threads so the castle nut will rotate easier while compressing the ball joint back into the knuckle.

try harder.
Old 12-27-2010 | 08:05 PM
OV-104

Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis

Originally Posted by .Sarge.
This.

And i've taken both upper and lower ball joints off a honda more times than I care to admit. Your threads might be getting messed up (by beating the ball joint loose from the knuckle) so try cleaning them up and lubricating the threads so the castle nut will rotate easier while compressing the ball joint back into the knuckle.
Pitman box arm for getting them to come free FTW, I just used a jack and impact and everyone of mine went back on fine.
Old 12-28-2010 | 02:51 PM
Registered Member

Str8EJ has disabled reputation

Cite your source. Really, I want to know why that would indicate the ball joint is shot.
Given the OP's post, I would say the joint is worn and is headed in the direction of replacement. If you can visualize the inner workings of one, you'll see why the part will not improve itself, but only increase in play. Can he drive indefinitely and never have an issue? Perhaps. Should he, given the opportunity, replace the joint for a new one? I would suggest "yes." Fuck, I'd spend the 40 bux and change it just so I wouldn't have to deal with it next time.

That said, I'm not a hypocrit and would admit that, in the past, I've done what I've need to in order to get my car back on the road. It's simply kicking the can down the road.

http://www.aa1car.com/library/ball_joints.htm
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...ll_Joints.aspx
http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...enance/1888732
Old 12-28-2010 | 03:45 PM
EDM|Mugen|MK3 CRX

.Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge.

LOL.^^

Thats really all I can say about that.