Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

LS Vtec budget build

Old 02-04-2010, 06:48 PM
VAdriven Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RameyBuilt RameyBuilt RameyBuilt RameyBuilt RameyBuilt RameyBuilt RameyBuilt RameyBuilt RameyBuilt RameyBuilt RameyBuilt
Default Re: LS Vtec budget build

Originally Posted by NasTHatch
from zeal autowerks.com

stock b16a compression-10.29
stock b16 with CTR pistion has a compression of 11.91

but that is from a online compression calculator, so what would you reccommend to use for a "better" compression calculator.?

i only know of zealautowerks.
he is right all the ones online are off to some degree, i have done the math on a few motors i have build and actually had heads cc'ed, messured how much the piston pokes out, pistons dome cc's valve cupping if any depending on valve style, which is the correct way to measure compression, and every motor i sat down and did the few online ones i did were always off, ctr pistons in a b16 block is more 12.3 to 12.7 depending iv never done the exact math for that setup but i have done stuff close. that being said that piston design completely sucks and i never recommend it, flame travel across the piston is not that great and u cant run any cam big enough to take advantage of the compression.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:49 PM
RIP DRAGVA-2016

NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch

Originally Posted by Jarrod
None.
It's late and I dont feel like searching for it.
There are plenty of threads on HT discussing the matter.
i just did a quick search and the OMG HT guru's are also mentioning using zealautowerks, but i hate the search program that HT has, so if you know of a better thread/threads, I would like to see it, so i can see what is being said for my own personal knowledge.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:52 PM
VAdriven Sponsor

RameyBuilt RameyBuilt RameyBuilt RameyBuilt RameyBuilt RameyBuilt RameyBuilt RameyBuilt RameyBuilt RameyBuilt RameyBuilt

Originally Posted by DORKO
not exactly what i meant.

CTR style/forged/heat treated pistons.

Tell me why these are bad pistons for N/A? because of how big the dome is? over revving? so what. every honda part is a dime a dozen. when you start building shit...then i can see your point.

whats wrong with high compression?

lol u guys are funny for giving jarrod such a hard time he does not have to build anything to know what works and does not friends in high places help and for the "why ctr pistons suck" they dont have enough valve relief cut out to run any type of cam to take advantage of the compression they have, and the way the piston is designed flame travel across the piston is not good at all,
Old 02-04-2010, 06:55 PM
RIP DRAGVA-2016

NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch

Originally Posted by RameyBuilt
lol u guys are funny for giving jarrod such a hard time he does not have to build anything to know what works and does not friends in high places help and for the "why ctr pistons suck" they dont have enough valve relief cut out to run any type of cam to take advantage of the compression they have, and the way the piston is designed flame travel across the piston is not good at all,
i ran ctr "style" pistons on gsr rods with a GSR head and stage 3 skunk2 cams without issues, but i guess i was lucky?
Old 02-04-2010, 07:00 PM
VAdriven Sponsor

Originally Posted by NasTHatch
i ran ctr "style" pistons on gsr rods with a GSR head and stage 3 skunk2 cams without issues, but i guess i was lucky?

CTR STYLE!! who made the piston? what is considered ctr style piston??? i would like to see anyone put a oem honda ctr piston in a b-series motor with a stage 3 cam

really what defines ctr style piston? because its a b-series pistons with a 8cc dome on it? do u know how much intake and exhaust valve relief were cut out?

side not are u talking about the motor that was in your old black hatch?

Last edited by RameyBuilt; 02-04-2010 at 07:02 PM.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:02 PM
RIP DRAGVA-2016

CTR STYLE!! who made the piston? what is considered ctr style piston??? i would like to see anyone put a oem honda ctr piston in a b-series motor with a stage 3 cam

really what defines ctr style piston? because its a b-series pistons with a 8cc or dome on it? do u know how much intake and exhaust valve relief were cut out?
nippon racing.

edit: they had a stupid high dome on them, this is them but the angle sucks

Last edited by NasTHatch; 02-04-2010 at 07:06 PM.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:07 PM
RIP DRAGVA-2016

side not are u talking about the motor that was in your old black hatch?
that motor had b16 pistons in it, the motor that was in it before that had ctr style pistons in it.

Last edited by NasTHatch; 02-04-2010 at 07:11 PM.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:18 PM
Registered Member

csb89 has disabled reputation

just buy a boosted motor from a part out you can get a good deal if you wait
or trade with that money ontop w/your car to easy
Old 02-05-2010, 01:31 AM
Ohhh Snap

madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez

Ls block,81.5mm,P30 b16 pistons,GSR head mild street port, 3 angle valve job,your choice on cams as well as springs retainers and keepers,Hytech or DTR header,good tune.....

and plenty of praying to make 210whp.

theres a reason why people selling N/A longblocks ask for upwards of 4k if properly built.
Old 02-05-2010, 04:38 AM
Blah Blah Blah

redhatch8u-up is infamous around these partsredhatch8u-up is infamous around these partsredhatch8u-up is infamous around these partsredhatch8u-up is infamous around these partsredhatch8u-up is infamous around these partsredhatch8u-up is infamous around these partsredhatch8u-up is infamous around these partsredhatch8u-up is infamous around these partsredhatch8u-up is infamous around these partsredhatch8u-up is infamous around these partsredhatch8u-up is infamous around these parts

You so speak the truth, I learned the hard way. Don't make the mistake of using a CTR piston if trying to make power above 200.

Quick Reply: LS Vtec budget build