Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

ls/vtec head studs

Old 11-21-2007, 09:14 AM
braap braap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod
Default Re: ls/vtec head studs

Originally Posted by HondaRules!
Correct. If you were using a B16 head on a LS/VTEC, you'd still use the GSR Head Studs.
The difference is the length. The deck height on an LS/GSR is higher than the B16, and the threads are deeper in the block because of it. Really and truly, it's a matter of choose your favorite manufacturer. Although, reading as to how the threads are done on certain ones, how a stud is supposed to work, versus others, I have my preference.

Head studs are studs for the head. Main studs are studs for the main girdles on the crank.
And since you actually do know what you are talking about, please post up which ones you prefer.

Not starting a flame war, I'm interested. I've had success with AEBS, thats why I prefer them.

OP. Use a factory headgasket. I know several over 500 all the way up to 700 on factory gaskets.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:21 PM
Registered member

Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey

Originally Posted by Jarrod
OP. Use a factory headgasket. I know several over 500 all the way up to 700 on factory gaskets.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:10 PM
Slowest HRC Member

BAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond repute

And since you actually do know what you are talking about, please post up which ones you prefer.

Not starting a flame war, I'm interested. I've had success with AEBS, thats why I prefer them.

AEBS looks to be good.

The threads are cut different on the Golden Eagle.
Theoretically, it has stronger threads.
The added size of the AEBS makes no difference, as the weak point on any stud/bolt is the threads. Legends motors have a shaft of one size, with threads that appear much larger, because of this. (Saves weight/cost in manufacturing) As for the bottoming out, both use a dog point on the bottom to ensure full thread contact. You only install studs hand tight to begin with. I just happen to like the thread cut on the Golden Eagle studs a little better than some of the others. Do a little reasearch on SRT-4 engines, and you'll see an example of the cut pattern used, and what it does.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:34 PM
braap braap

Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod

AEBS looks to be good.

The added size of the AEBS makes no difference, as the weak point on any stud/bolt is the threads. Legends motors have a shaft of one size, with threads that appear much larger, because of this. (Saves weight/cost in manufacturing) As for the bottoming out, both use a dog point on the bottom to ensure full thread contact. You only install studs hand tight to begin with. I just happen to like the thread cut on the Golden Eagle studs a little better than some of the others. Do a little reasearch on SRT-4 engines, and you'll see an example of the cut pattern used, and what it does.
Learned something new today. (aside from installing them hand tight)
Old 11-22-2007, 05:57 AM
Slowest HRC Member

BAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond repute

Learned something new today. (aside from installing them hand tight)
To be honest about it, unless you're looking to go 500+ whp, (probably a lot more) it won't make much difference. All of them are very good, and cylinder pressures aren't really that high as to break threads. Hardware wise, I'm not sure about which ones have a greater footprint on the head, but....
Old 11-25-2007, 08:10 PM
Registered Member

integrag is an unknown quantity at this point

i have an ls-vtec and i used ARP gsr head studs
Old 11-25-2007, 08:12 PM
Registered Member

and im satisfied
Old 11-25-2007, 08:12 PM
Registered Member

:-)
Old 11-26-2007, 04:47 AM
Registered member

Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey

AEBS looks to be good.

Both AEBS and Golden Eagle told me to torque them to 10ft/lbs. I know that isn't that much more than hand tight. But figured it was worth a mention. You just want to be careful that you don't put the tip of the stud through the bottom of the hole in the block. which can happen pretty easily.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:03 AM
Slowest HRC Member

Originally Posted by Grease Monkey
Both AEBS and Golden Eagle told me to torque them to 10ft/lbs. I know that isn't that much more than hand tight. But figured it was worth a mention. You just want to be careful that you don't put the tip of the stud through the bottom of the hole in the block. which can happen pretty easily.
Were they referencing the stud itself?
Or the nuts holding the head?