Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

ls vtech or GSR?

Old 10-02-2004, 07:27 AM
i have ek dreams

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
devils_civic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: ls vtech or GSR?

ls/vtec - poor mans type-r. 190hp / 130 torque
gsr - 170hp / 117 torque (i think)
Old 10-02-2004, 07:39 AM
Asshole Supreme

S dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by devils_civic
You can't make a general statement like that. It is not true. Not every motor will produce power like that.
Old 10-02-2004, 08:32 AM
loved by all

ForcedFedTeg is infamous around these partsForcedFedTeg is infamous around these partsForcedFedTeg is infamous around these partsForcedFedTeg is infamous around these partsForcedFedTeg is infamous around these partsForcedFedTeg is infamous around these partsForcedFedTeg is infamous around these partsForcedFedTeg is infamous around these partsForcedFedTeg is infamous around these partsForcedFedTeg is infamous around these partsForcedFedTeg is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by devils_civic
those numbers are off

i got a all gsr in my hatch and dynoed @ 152hp to the wheels

my friend has ls vtec in a hatch and dynoed @ 175hp to the wheels

i guess, at the fly your numbers would be close.
Old 10-02-2004, 08:41 AM
i have ek dreams

devils_civic is an unknown quantity at this point

those are flywheel numbers. which are guess-i-mated to what they should produce when they have the right compression ratings.
Old 10-02-2004, 01:47 PM
Die reinste Bösen.

gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear

LSvtec is the worst idea ever...unless you are going to upgrade the rods. Lets put a head (designed to be revved out, hence vtec engagement at a high rpm) on a block designed not to rev high (hence mated with the non vtec head from factory.) there's a reason honda engineers left the LS nonvtec... its called rod to stroke ratio
Old 10-02-2004, 03:16 PM
AKA DEATH TRAP

sikkcrx is infamous around these partssikkcrx is infamous around these partssikkcrx is infamous around these partssikkcrx is infamous around these partssikkcrx is infamous around these partssikkcrx is infamous around these partssikkcrx is infamous around these partssikkcrx is infamous around these partssikkcrx is infamous around these partssikkcrx is infamous around these partssikkcrx is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by gear
LSvtec is the worst idea ever...unless you are going to upgrade the rods. Lets put a head (designed to be revved out, hence vtec engagement at a high rpm) on a block designed not to rev high (hence mated with the non vtec head from factory.) there's a reason honda engineers left the LS nonvtec... its called rod to stroke ratio
True! Honda did see the flaw in the r/s ratio, but the worse the r/s the more power an engine makes.LS VTEC is used not just because of the power but because everyone cannot afford a gsr motor.I'd rather blow a ls block than blow a GSR ANY DAY.try to find a gsr block for less than 600. LS blocks are readly avaliable and cheap to purchace.I sday the NayNO to the fact that its the worst idea ever. it makes more power for someone who has a 99 si, any integra by just buying a head or block and the Golden Eagle sandwich adaptor. not trying to be rude but its just my 2cents.
Old 10-02-2004, 04:07 PM
All-Motor Street Car

JayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond repute

I really can't believe that this is still being debated. An Ls/Vtec can be just as reliable as any other engine IF it is built correct.

As for being the worst idea ever, Gear I have to disagree. LS/Vtec engines are the basis of every big All-Motor car at the track today...wether its the LS 89mm crank or a billet 101mm crank. They make tremendous power, and great torque. On a side note...most engine builders agree that any R/S over 1.50 is acceptable and will provide suffecient reliability.

I agree that there are several areas that need to be upgraded when building an LS/VTEC...mainly the rods and rod bolts. For those people out there that do not agree with me, please share YOUR experience with LS/Vtec engines. And please keep the "if it was such a great idea, why didn't Honda do it in the first place" comments to yourself...Honda made cars to be economical. In the 80's they were imported because gas prices were so high, people were looking for something other than their big block to drive around.

Last edited by JayDM; 10-02-2004 at 04:58 PM.
Old 10-02-2004, 06:07 PM
Registered Member

dahatch is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gear
the r/s is not that bad in an ls i rev mine to 10200rpm and yes its hard on it but a normale motor can be reved to 8500 with no problems dont believe all the hype i think an lsvtec is a great motor for the street
Old 10-02-2004, 06:50 PM
ballslickem!

BrokeAssCrix BrokeAssCrix BrokeAssCrix BrokeAssCrix BrokeAssCrix BrokeAssCrix BrokeAssCrix BrokeAssCrix BrokeAssCrix BrokeAssCrix BrokeAssCrix

i agree with both jaydm and dahatch. the r/s ratio is just fine in an ls/vtec. half the people up here have not the first damn clue on what works and what doesnt. they just talk out of there ass and listen to people who believe everything that they read in sportcompact and they think they know there shit.If you honestly know the first thing about building an engine, how it works, or even how to do a simple fucking mathmatical equation, you would know it works.i have personaly built 4 LS/Vtecs for freinds of mine and they are still around.First one i built was 5 years ago and is still running today.talk about reliability! DO YOUR RESARCH BEFORE YOU POST!
Old 10-02-2004, 06:52 PM
ballslickem!

BrokeAssCrix BrokeAssCrix BrokeAssCrix BrokeAssCrix BrokeAssCrix BrokeAssCrix BrokeAssCrix BrokeAssCrix BrokeAssCrix BrokeAssCrix BrokeAssCrix

no offence

Quick Reply: ls vtech or GSR?