Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Need Help with 1990 Accord Ex (F22)

Old 07-08-2011, 10:00 AM
green box is back!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DonVizMe has much to be proud ofDonVizMe has much to be proud ofDonVizMe has much to be proud ofDonVizMe has much to be proud ofDonVizMe has much to be proud ofDonVizMe has much to be proud ofDonVizMe has much to be proud ofDonVizMe has much to be proud ofDonVizMe has much to be proud ofDonVizMe has much to be proud ofDonVizMe has much to be proud of
Default Need Help with 1990 Accord Ex (F22)

Ok so I am having some trouble starting the car, I have done a search here and with the google machine. I just found too many conflicting answers. Onto what I have done.

I have replaced the Plugs, Wires, Distributor, Distributor cap, Rotor button, New timing belt, Water Pump. and a few other small things.

When I am trying to start the car it will turn over, but will not fire. If you keep trying to start it will eventually turn over and run. Once it does start it runs fine. Sometime the Rpms will jump from 700 to 15-1600. then after it will bog down to 500 rpms or lower. It wont die, but it drops really low and stays there. So first thing I did was check timing to see if maybe I was 180 out, or off at all. Turns out the cars timing was perfect. So now I am back to square one. After all this research I have found a few different things to look for, Idle Air Control Valve, fuel pump, fuel pump relay, etc.

If anyone could help me trouble shoot the problem that would be great. I do not want to spend any more money on replacing parts that are not going to help the situation. And sorry for kind of being all over the place. I am just getting frustrated and need to get this fixed. This is my DD/Beater and I need it to get to work on monday. So any help will be greatly appreciated with +rapes or whatever else it takes. Including but not limited to beer/buttsecks.

Thanks
Old 07-08-2011, 10:46 AM
Registered Member

TomFree TomFree TomFree TomFree TomFree TomFree TomFree TomFree TomFree TomFree TomFree
Default Re: Need Help with 1990 Accord Ex (F22)

I don't know Honda stuff very well, but it sounds like it's clearly related to the cold start system. Idle air control sounds like a legit place to start.

Do Hondas do a "cold start" injector to get extra fuel in the system for a cold start? A couple of my crappy old BMWs had those, and they definitely die over time.

Have you tried starting it after a 1/2 second spray of starting fluid in the intake? If it fires right up with some starting fluid, that will confirm that you're not getting enough fuel into the system.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:50 AM
green box is back!

DonVizMe has much to be proud ofDonVizMe has much to be proud ofDonVizMe has much to be proud ofDonVizMe has much to be proud ofDonVizMe has much to be proud ofDonVizMe has much to be proud ofDonVizMe has much to be proud ofDonVizMe has much to be proud ofDonVizMe has much to be proud ofDonVizMe has much to be proud ofDonVizMe has much to be proud of

I will grab a can of starter fluid and see if that works. I think I am going to buy the relay and start from there.
Old 07-09-2011, 05:23 AM
Registered Member

bigjay55 has disabled reputation

check your Fast Idle Thremal Valve
Old 07-09-2011, 05:15 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

This will show you how much I know about really old Accords: Does it have a carb?
Old 07-09-2011, 10:03 PM
green box is back!

Originally Posted by bigjay55
check your Fast Idle Thremal Valve
Not familiar with this. I just replaced the Main Fuel Relay, starts pretty easily. But then throws cel and Then bogs down and idles low. Not too sure what this is. It also seems a little hesitant and bogs down below 2k and x10 when ac is on.

Fabrik8- no carb, throttle body. But I didn't know this until I bought the car.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:41 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Read the CEL and report back.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:47 AM
green box is back!

Not sure how to do that, again this is my first Honda. And I was told you can't scan the 90, you have to do something and look it up. I have been working. I am going to try and get it figured out tonight.
Old 07-10-2011, 03:22 PM
Racetracks

Just like most pre-1996 vehicles, you have to jumper the service check connector and it will blink the codes out at you. Google it, there are a million explanations on how to do that with a Honda and it's quicker than me typing it all out.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:12 PM
Stiff Member

Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock

Clean IACV. Try the google thing - see below

Open your distributor and check for loose rotor or even better, try another from a working engine. I am not going deep into distributor diagnostic with you from what I've read so far.

There's this thing called google and if you type in stuff, it will give results related to what you typed in. Then you star clicking on the results and start reading. For instance, I typed in "1990 honda accord ecu codes" and http://www.automotivehelper.com/topic261231.htm came up. Guess what. For an OBD0 like your 1990 Honda Accord, ECU trouble codes are found by looking below the front passenger carpet and reading the flashes directly from the ECU.

Quick Reply: Need Help with 1990 Accord Ex (F22)