Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

need opinion, either turbo d16a6 or swap??

Old 02-27-2006 | 05:13 PM
Banned

DOHC crx VTEC is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: need opinion, either turbo d16a6 or swap??

^^^
Touche< I think.

Its just he doesn't want to boost and N/A D-series actually kinda suck. I've had four and dumped alot of money into one and, well I was still slow. B16 With Intake Header and Exhuast and some other goodies would be good for just some easy cost effective power IMO. That's if you do have the money to spend.
Old 02-27-2006 | 05:46 PM
Registered Member

MrZoggs is an unknown quantity at this point

go turbo ls because a turbo d16 will only give you around 250hp
Old 02-27-2006 | 06:03 PM
I'm still slow.....

ZeroMR ZeroMR ZeroMR ZeroMR ZeroMR ZeroMR ZeroMR ZeroMR ZeroMR ZeroMR ZeroMR

Don't waste your time on a d-series, unless your funds are limited.
Old 02-27-2006 | 06:12 PM
rock ya body baby

IPUNCHBABIES IPUNCHBABIES IPUNCHBABIES IPUNCHBABIES IPUNCHBABIES IPUNCHBABIES IPUNCHBABIES IPUNCHBABIES IPUNCHBABIES IPUNCHBABIES IPUNCHBABIES

well thats the thing, i wanna make reasonable horsepower out of the d- series for now...that way i can still have something quick while building on another motor..
Old 02-27-2006 | 07:48 PM
I drive a coupe

Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR)

Ok first you need to decide on how much you want to spend, and how much power you want to make...
You can buy everything needed for a d series turbo setup for under $1,000. For a B series swap however, assuming you are starting from scratch and have nothing for a B series swap you will end up spending at least that and probably more for a b16 swap.

A stock B16 dyno's about 140whp.

A stock d16 with a t3/t4 and 2.5" piping on 8psi will put down between 150 - 180whp. It really depends on your setup. If you are running a vtec head on an a6 block then of course you will get the upper end of those numbers. After tuning you will see about 200 whp maybe slightly more just on stock internals.

I would suggest buying a turbo kit for the motor you have, and if you decide to go with a B series later on down the road then all you will need is a B series turbo manifold and a new downpipe. Everything else on your turbo setup will interchange. But with the crx being so light weight I am sure an a6 turbo will be plenty capable of scaring your friends.
Old 02-28-2006 | 03:28 AM
rock ya body baby

IPUNCHBABIES IPUNCHBABIES IPUNCHBABIES IPUNCHBABIES IPUNCHBABIES IPUNCHBABIES IPUNCHBABIES IPUNCHBABIES IPUNCHBABIES IPUNCHBABIES IPUNCHBABIES

Originally Posted by Hatch Man(GsR)
Ok first you need to decide on how much you want to spend, and how much power you want to make...
You can buy everything needed for a d series turbo setup for under $1,000. For a B series swap however, assuming you are starting from scratch and have nothing for a B series swap you will end up spending at least that and probably more for a b16 swap.

A stock B16 dyno's about 140whp.

A stock d16 with a t3/t4 and 2.5" piping on 8psi will put down between 150 - 180whp. It really depends on your setup. If you are running a vtec head on an a6 block then of course you will get the upper end of those numbers. After tuning you will see about 200 whp maybe slightly more just on stock internals.

I would suggest buying a turbo kit for the motor you have, and if you decide to go with a B series later on down the road then all you will need is a B series turbo manifold and a new downpipe. Everything else on your turbo setup will interchange. But with the crx being so light weight I am sure an a6 turbo will be plenty capable of scaring your friends.
ok that was was next thing i was going to ask... if i change to a vtec head what all will i need to do so?
Old 02-28-2006 | 03:38 AM
I have a 20 valve...

crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx

get a vtec head and field controller, run a few wires. Its not that tough.
Old 02-28-2006 | 03:48 AM
rock ya body baby

Originally Posted by crxnfx
get a vtec head and field controller, run a few wires. Its not that tough.
what about ecu? i thought the z6 and y8 heads were different obd
Old 02-28-2006 | 03:51 AM
I have a 20 valve...

crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx

yeah, you need the z6 ECU or else the vtec solenoid won't work.
Old 02-28-2006 | 03:57 AM
rock ya body baby

Originally Posted by crxnfx
yeah, you need the z6 ECU or else the vtec solenoid won't work.
so a conversion harness will be needed?damn ill be better off paying someone to do this

Quick Reply: need opinion, either turbo d16a6 or swap??