Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

no vtec??

Old 07-13-2009, 01:27 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Daintegrajdm has disabled reputation
Default Re: no vtec??

hahaa ok now to sound like a dick but if you read it said i DId get the car to cross into vtec it just wouldnt do it untill late. And yes the head is tapped and the oil passage is blocked off.. the metal in the screen comes from the shavings if your not able to get everything out of the head. IF you read how to build an ls vtec build off of i belive hondaswap magazines website they tell you to use a magnetic drain plug because with the lsvtec at first it will cause for metal shavings but in the end it was because i didnt change the oil soon enough i waited till the first 1500 miles for the oil change. your supposed to do it at the first 100, 500, 1500 then 3000 then every 3 after that.
Old 07-13-2009, 01:50 PM
Registered Member

wewturbo85 has disabled reputation

I don't know if this would be the problem you are having but is sort of close to what my crx went through with my b16 swap. If all your wires are correct and dist. is fine and vtec isnt crossing over check the speed sensor. My speed sensor went bad and my vtec did the same thing yours did. Also the circuits on the back of my cluster burned out and vtec didn't work because of that another time. Try to check those two things, I know it sounds odd, but on a odb-o car that was the issue. I could be wrong.
Old 07-13-2009, 01:58 PM
Registered Member

naa issue is fixed like i was sayin i was using a filter that was too big so once it started to clog it wouldnt get enough oil pressure. so once i put a smaller filter on there it was good just changed oil vtec screen and it was good. runs great now.. now just starting on that wire tuck!
Old 07-13-2009, 03:23 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Soooo why would a filter that is too big cause a problem with low oil pressure? It must have been a horrible quality filter and would have caused a problem no matter what size it was.
Old 07-13-2009, 04:41 PM
Registered Member

There is three differnt filters for hondas for non vtec cars you have the biggest filter for cars like early accords with the single cam motors. Then the new accords and civics have another filter which is designed for vtec so that it will keep a high oil pressure but not high enough to damage the oil filter or the oil system in the car. Then on some of the newer civics with non vtec single cams they have the smallest filter. My car had the filter that you put on the older style single cams keeping a lower oil pressure so i had to switch to a smaller vtec filter.

Just case your wondering i work at an instant oil change place so i have to keep these kind of things in mind dumb shit i know
Old 07-13-2009, 05:06 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

So like I said, you're using a poor quality filter. The better filters (for the VTEC engines) are less restrictive so the oil pressure is higher. The non-VTEC filters, which I assume are also cheaper (at least to manufacture, even if the price is the same) are more restrictive which makes the oil pressure lower. That's not something that you really want for most engines, because you can't oil a tight tolerance engine (or an engine that needs high oil flow) by using low oil pressure.

So yes, a decent oil filter is what you need.

And what's wrong with your engine that's making you clog oil filters????? You shouldn't be making shavings in the engine, because you're not changing anything about the engine. Putting a different head on an existing block doesn't make you start producing metal shavings. If you're getting shavings, they have to be from the machining operations and not the engine running. If that's not the case, you have a VERY damaged engine.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 07-13-2009 at 05:13 PM.
Old 07-13-2009, 06:06 PM
OM NOM NOM E30

JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
So like I said, you're using a poor quality filter. The better filters (for the VTEC engines) are less restrictive so the oil pressure is higher. The non-VTEC filters, which I assume are also cheaper (at least to manufacture, even if the price is the same) are more restrictive which makes the oil pressure lower. That's not something that you really want for most engines, because you can't oil a tight tolerance engine (or an engine that needs high oil flow) by using low oil pressure.

So yes, a decent oil filter is what you need.

And what's wrong with your engine that's making you clog oil filters????? You shouldn't be making shavings in the engine, because you're not changing anything about the engine. Putting a different head on an existing block doesn't make you start producing metal shavings. If you're getting shavings, they have to be from the machining operations and not the engine running. If that's not the case, you have a VERY damaged engine.
nah yo dawg, that shits fine....its totally normal for ls vtec motors.

see here was mine.

oh and this what my bear for #1 looked like.

Even gave me custom type r cams.

With matching cam journals!

But i bet he's fine, cause they all do that.
Old 07-13-2009, 06:52 PM
Racetracks

Wow, doesn't anyone take any measures to keep the chips out of the engine during machining?
Old 07-13-2009, 08:27 PM
OM NOM NOM E30

JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Wow, doesn't anyone take any measures to keep the chips out of the engine during machining?
haha in my defense, that was a motor i bought(complete) from a guy...Had it in my car for less then 100 miles before taking it back out.

Shit was bad, everything was trashed. Reused the bare block, and rods....thats it. sigh

live and learn
Old 07-13-2009, 08:43 PM
Racetracks

I figured you got it from someone else because of your sense of humor. Not many people would own up to trashing an engine like that if it was their fault, so I assumed it didn't die by your hand.