Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

oil pan gasket

Old 02-01-2010, 08:42 PM
SAY IT WITCHA CHEST!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro
Default Re: oil pan gasket

Originally Posted by jdmwojo
ok only one final question wen i take the header off is there a gasket for that that i will need to replace?
there is a gasket, but you might not necessarily need to replace it. ive taken my header off numerous times and never replaced the gasket. it depends on the condition of the gasket when you remove it...also sometimes they stick to the head/manifold when you remove it, and it will tear the gasket.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:53 PM
Registered Member

jdmwojo has disabled reputation

so should i go ahead and buy that gasket just incase
Old 02-01-2010, 08:56 PM
SAY IT WITCHA CHEST!

The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro

Originally Posted by jdmwojo
so should i go ahead and buy that gasket just incase
that's up to you. chance's are it will need a new one, specially if it's never been replaced. i think exhaust manifold gaskets are fairly cheap though.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:00 PM
Registered Member

jdmwojo has disabled reputation

yeah i just looked it up 16 bucks not bad at all thanks for yall help!
Old 02-01-2010, 09:30 PM
I Love to Hate

B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well

the header gasket and cat/header donut can both be reused.
the bolts holding the header on are break away nuts so dont over tighten them either

actually, dont overtighten anything
Old 02-01-2010, 09:52 PM
SAY IT WITCHA CHEST!

Originally Posted by B-Well
this needs to be your overall goal. for some reason i have a knack for breaking bolts...usually important bolts too. needless to say,i invested in a nice extractor/threader kit
Old 02-01-2010, 10:24 PM
Tri
Banned

Tri is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by B-Well
the header gasket and cat/header donut can both be reused.
the bolts holding the header on are break away nuts so dont over tighten them either

Taking off the header is the hard part. Make sure you start with middle bolts on the pan. I can have a print out for you with directions from Shop Key 5(including torque specs.). It will be $5 or you can use Google, but if you didn't know how to change an oil pan; I'm pretty sure you can not find it on Google.
Old 02-02-2010, 02:43 AM
Registered member

TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris

1-Go to parts store and buy shop manual
2-Instantly know how to do everything to your car without having take wrong advice from internet douchbags.
3-Profit!

Just go to an auto parts store and buy a shop manual.The ones they carry aren't the greatest,but they're cheap and outline every procedure a novice mechanic would need to do to their car.It includes torque specs and tightening patterns,fluid capacities-everything you need.If you really want a good manual that outlines EVERYTHING,go to http://www.helminc.com and get a factory manual.For about $70 it's a ton of good info.

If I'm not mistaken,the Y8 has an aluminum oil pan,so be careful with beating on it to break it loose once the fasteners are off.This car does have a two piece manifold,so you may find it easier to just remove the lower half.
Replace any gaskets you take off while doing this.No reason to go back through and do it all again to replace one that's leaking because you reused it.They're cheap.
Chris

Last edited by TNGChris; 02-02-2010 at 02:47 AM.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:36 AM
SUCKAFISH

MitsuEvo8 MitsuEvo8 MitsuEvo8 MitsuEvo8 MitsuEvo8 MitsuEvo8 MitsuEvo8 MitsuEvo8 MitsuEvo8 MitsuEvo8 MitsuEvo8

Yea honda v6 aluminum pans dont have a gasket they take honda ultraflange II pn#08718-0009 but your y8 is aluminum but it does have a gasket but your drain plug is diff from other drain plugs cause its aluminum.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:55 AM
S a D u B

JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW

Moving this to tech where it belongs, altho it appears that your question has been efficently answered.

I am amazed.

Quick Reply: oil pan gasket