Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Pinhole air leak in expansion tank - how important to be fixed immediately?

Old 01-04-2011, 06:17 PM
ATGATT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike
Default Re: Pinhole air leak in expansion tank - how important to be fixed immediately?

Mine is plastic...so is the one in the picture, but the one in the picture is getting ready to have catastrophic failure (you know they're ready to break when they turn brown).

The weird thing is, where the pinhole leak is, the plastic is like...melted. the leak is in one of the ribs, but the whole rib area is now level with the rest of the plastic and whitish, almost like you melted it with a lighter and pushed it up from the inside.

As far as the sensor goes - there used to be a different expansion tank. The one pictured is a later style expansion tank, which is all they sell now. There are two differences between early and late: late is more reinforced (the old one didn't have those ribs) and late has the level sensor. On my car, like in the car pictured, the level sensor opening is simply plugged. On later model cars of the same chassis, that has a wire going to it and there is a dash light for low coolant, so you don't have to suffer the indignity of popping your hood to check the level.

I've got a new stock one here, I just don't have any coolant and am in the middle of moving.

Last edited by marlinspike; 01-04-2011 at 06:20 PM.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:21 PM
ATGATT

marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike
Default Re: Pinhole air leak in expansion tank - how important to be fixed immediately?

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Wait, wait.... That one in that picture is plastic, it's just BROWN...!
Yeah. They start off white. It only takes a few months for them to turn yellow. Eventually they're turn brown which means "replace me." The timing chain rails are the same way.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:21 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

If you have a new one, just loosen the hose on the old one, dump everything into the new one, and hook everything back up.

It's probably OK if it's winter though, just watch the temp gauge carefully because that might signal the formation of air pockets from boiling water.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:24 PM
ATGATT

That would make a mess. This car never sees coolant temps over 82C, even if you pound the crap out of it, heck even at 160, unless it's over 80F outside (and even then it never sees 100C), so if boiling is my only worry, I can wait.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:07 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Sorry buddy, I've done everything I can do, the rest is up to you.
Old 01-05-2011, 03:47 AM
ATGATT

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Sorry buddy, I've done everything I can do, the rest is up to you.
Yep yep. I'd go make the mess if you had said my expansion tank is going to burst now that it has been weakened by a pinhole, but based on what has been said I decided it can wait 2 more days.