Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Power loss after 2500rpm

Old 01-27-2005, 10:12 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Swampdonky has disabled reputation
Default Re: Power loss after 2500rpm

change out the fuel filter, couldnt hurt becasue there like 10 bucks??? my car would cut out after 4k when mine was clogged.
Old 01-27-2005, 03:02 PM
psycho jungle cat

Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift

Fuel filter looks brand new, it just doesn't make sense that the O2 sensor had the problem completely gone for 2 weeks, then its jus on and off now.
Old 01-27-2005, 03:58 PM
Bitches get Stitches

sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike

Originally Posted by Spindrift187
Fuel filter looks brand new, it just doesn't make sense that the O2 sensor had the problem completely gone for 2 weeks, then its jus on and off now.
looks, and is - are two different things. washing a fuel filter off will make it look BRAND new. you are supposed to replace them every 10,000 miles anyways, and they cost next to nothing. simple maintenance. and who checked the exhaust and what did they do? if they did not unbolt the exhaust where the exhaust manifold meets the catalytic convertor and test drive it, i would definitely still try that. just hitting a clogged exhaust with your hand to check for rattles will not tell you if it is clogged or not. i see time and time again at work where a clogged exhaust WILL kill power in the higher RPM's, and i often see cars with exhaust so clogged there is so much backpressure that the car won't even start.
Old 01-27-2005, 04:03 PM
psycho jungle cat

Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift

Big Al's checked the exhaust...Dunno what they did, one of my friends from work got off before I did so I tossed him my keys and some money and said go get the cat replaced. He came back and just said they told him the cat was perfectly fine. I will pick up a fuel filter from work tomorrow and see if that helps too. One last question...Any idea why the O2 sensor was a temp. fix?
Old 01-27-2005, 04:52 PM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

the O2 was the cause of the problem, and the clogged cat was the effect. if that is the case that is.

cut the exh. in front of the cat, and drive it to see. i am willing to bet dollars to donuts that is the issue.

and lemme guess, it has low power after its been driven for a few minutes (is hot, or its under a WOT condition) and it stinks? will smell like rotten eggs most of the time.
Old 01-28-2005, 05:46 AM
psycho jungle cat

Well it did have power loss after it warmed up, now its jus on and off at random times(But yes the power loss is only noticeable under WOT). I have noticed a smell coming from my exhaust, but it doesnt smell like rotten eggs, it's very faint. Either way ive been meaning to buy my brothers header/exhaust system off my old 240sx, so Ill do that and see if I notice a change.
Old 01-28-2005, 06:37 AM
Registered Member

93civiccpe is an unknown quantity at this point

Most likely it is the cat... very common. But a few other avenues you might want to check.

My friend had a similar problem, and the solution turned out to be a mix between the o2 sensors, clogged fuel injectors, old fuel pump, and the resister panel controlling the fuel injectors. At lower rpm the pump and injectors could keep up with the fuel need, but at higher rpms it wasn't getting the right fuel/air mixture, and not enough fuel. We replaced all that and it ran like new again.

My money would be on the cat though.. it is the more common problem
Old 01-28-2005, 07:18 AM
Registered Member

Swampdonky has disabled reputation

just be like me and take off the damn cats, who needs em
Old 01-28-2005, 07:19 AM
psycho jungle cat

an import with no cats sounds like pure shit you know that lol
Old 01-28-2005, 07:47 AM
Patron

Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus

did you pull the codes? stop calling me late at night

Quick Reply: Power loss after 2500rpm