Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

quick question about some oils

Old 12-08-2008, 02:30 PM
Racetracks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: quick question about some oils

Porsche seems to think Mobil-1 is pretty decent. I know there's a whole sub-culture of oil enthusiasts out there who like all kinds of different concoctions, but I let the professional chemists do their job. It usually always comes back to the point of diminishing returns. Are very small incremental gains in oil performance (that the average person doesn't have any way to measure or quantify) worth the problems finding X type of oil, or shelling out the money for? I know everyone needs a hobby, but obsessing about oil isn't one of mine.
I like to look at how the readily available brands stack up against each other, but that's about as far as it goes.

By the way, if you need a thicker oil so you burn less of it, you need a rebuild. If you just got a rebuild, and you're still burning oil, you probably need a different type of cylinder hone finish.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 12-08-2008 at 02:36 PM.
Old 12-08-2008, 03:27 PM
Slowest HRC Member

BAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond repute

The tests I've seen -

In the same weight - (10w30)
Amsoil is probably the best base stock. They don't use as many additives as some others. It doesn't really burn off easy though. This indicates the base stock is actually thicker, but still flows thin.
Royal Purple, Red Line are not far behind in burn point. However, they both contain large quantities of zinc, which is a kick-ass pressure barrier. It's why Royal Purple claims it will "micro-polish" the crank, rather than score it. Neither has super high quantities of cleaners.
After that, Castrol, Valvoline, Mobil-1, and most other major brand synthetics. They still have a VERY high burn point compared with a standard oil. (About 150 degrees higher, which is significant, in that AMSOIL being one of the best burns at less than 500...) These have modern formulations for SAE specs. They have high detergent contents, low zinc levels, and are very good oils as well. You can add the shelf Royal Purple (non-race-version) to this group, except the burn point is higher.

By comparison, GTX being one of the best dino oils (Rotella and Valvoline being the other high end oils) the dino oils have burn points around 275-325 degrees. They physically cannot have as much additive of any sort, due to the impurities found in them naturally. They are also much thinner at the same weight, they cannot use the same levels of thermal expansion agents, which means they wear out faster.
It's that "sheer" problem, that causes turbo cars to prefer synthetic. The tight clearances and high heat levels inside the turbo cause the oil to sheer from the expanders much more quickly.
IF you run a regular oil in a turbo car, it's highly recommended you change it VERY often!

Basically, in every possible way, Synthetic oils are better, discounting price.....
Hope that sheds some light on it for some of you.
Old 12-08-2008, 03:55 PM
CustomGSR

kaltares is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by thermal
I've been using Mobil-1 full synthetic since I've own a turbo 4 banger... about 7 years now. Although I've heard that Royal Purple seems to be better......
you just didn't want 2 spend the extra money. Eat more rice!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-09-2008, 06:18 AM
JUICE!!!

Schmitty has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by HondaRules!
The tests I've seen -

In the same weight - (10w30)
Amsoil is probably the best base stock. They don't use as many additives as some others. It doesn't really burn off easy though. This indicates the base stock is actually thicker, but still flows thin.
Royal Purple, Red Line are not far behind in burn point. However, they both contain large quantities of zinc, which is a kick-ass pressure barrier. It's why Royal Purple claims it will "micro-polish" the crank, rather than score it. Neither has super high quantities of cleaners.
After that, Castrol, Valvoline, Mobil-1, and most other major brand synthetics. They still have a VERY high burn point compared with a standard oil. (About 150 degrees higher, which is significant, in that AMSOIL being one of the best burns at less than 500...) These have modern formulations for SAE specs. They have high detergent contents, low zinc levels, and are very good oils as well. You can add the shelf Royal Purple (non-race-version) to this group, except the burn point is higher.

By comparison, GTX being one of the best dino oils (Rotella and Valvoline being the other high end oils) the dino oils have burn points around 275-325 degrees. They physically cannot have as much additive of any sort, due to the impurities found in them naturally. They are also much thinner at the same weight, they cannot use the same levels of thermal expansion agents, which means they wear out faster.
It's that "sheer" problem, that causes turbo cars to prefer synthetic. The tight clearances and high heat levels inside the turbo cause the oil to sheer from the expanders much more quickly.
IF you run a regular oil in a turbo car, it's highly recommended you change it VERY often!

Basically, in every possible way, Synthetic oils are better, discounting price.....
Hope that sheds some light on it for some of you.
thanks for the help guys... im doing some more research right now and royal purple sems to be what im going to start running..... again thanks for all the help
Old 12-11-2008, 05:06 PM
Registered Member

aacjohnc has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Schmitty
ok so ive been told on turbo cars rotella-t is a good oil to use i was wondering if its true?

the facts i was told is that it is thicker and will burn less oil because of that just trying to get some opinions on it thanks

true . alot of dieseil engines are TURBO there for useing thicker oil which is harder to burn off . so your theory is correct . i use 15w 40 in my truck casue of high miles 240k plus miles .