Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

replacing one caliper only?

Old 09-17-2010, 04:28 PM
Racetracks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: replacing one caliper only?

Originally Posted by 1automd
Also you should replace your brake hoses because you will find that it is the inner lining of the brake hose that came apart (due to not keeping the brake fluid flushed every 30k i do mine every 20K and using BG high per fluid) and the particles got in the caliper and caused the piston to bind up.
Brake fluid doesn't need to be replaced based on mileage, it needs to be replaced based on service life. Time and mileage aren't the same thing for hygroscopic fluids. So if your 30k miles happens to line up with the service life of the fluid, that's fine. But if you drive a lot more (or drive a lot less) during the service life of the brake fluid, you'll be replacing the fluid a more frequently (or less frequently) than recommended.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 09-17-2010 at 04:32 PM.
Old 09-17-2010, 04:32 PM
ATGATT

marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike

Would this (the dimples) bother you? It's one on the one side of this one caliper. I'm not even sure what that metal piece is for.
Old 09-17-2010, 04:41 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by marlinspike
Would this (the dimples) bother you? It's one on the one side of this one caliper. I'm not even sure what that metal piece is for.
Looks like someone had to coax it in place a little more than usual. I'm assuming that metal piece is probably a separate retaining cap for a seal underneath, or an integral part of the seal itself (as part of a co-molded seal). Actually, the recessed flats on either side would probably mean that the metal piece turns with a spanner. Maybe the metal piece screws over top of a seal. That piece isn't attached to the piston I assume?
Old 09-17-2010, 05:44 PM
ATGATT

marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike

As far as I can tell, all the metal piece does is cover the dust boot (that "seal" is actually a dustboot, even if you took it off it's not like fluid would go anywhere). The metal piece is a press fit, and it isn't attached to the piston but it does move with it (the dustboot expands and contracts with the piston, and that metal piece moves with it)
Old 09-17-2010, 05:47 PM
Racetracks

Oh. Probably a heat shield for the boot, or just a cap to make it easier to install. Either way I wouldn't worry at all about the dimples.
Old 09-17-2010, 05:50 PM
ATGATT

What amazes me is that MB was putting 2 piston calipers on these cars, while today pretty much anything other than an M or AMG from BMW/MB gets a 1 piston floating design.

BTW, you might be onto something by saying it's a heatshield - the rear calipers don't have them, and not needing them because there's less heat there would explain that.

Last edited by marlinspike; 09-17-2010 at 05:57 PM.
Old 09-17-2010, 05:59 PM
ATGATT

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Brake fluid doesn't need to be replaced based on mileage, it needs to be replaced based on service life. Time and mileage aren't the same thing for hygroscopic fluids. So if your 30k miles happens to line up with the service life of the fluid, that's fine. But if you drive a lot more (or drive a lot less) during the service life of the brake fluid, you'll be replacing the fluid a more frequently (or less frequently) than recommended.
The thing that gets me is MB said to change the fluid every year, the company that makes the fluid says every 2 years (factory fill was the ATE Dot 4 fluid) and the fluid I use says every 3 years (ATE Super Blue). I figure I split the difference by doing every 2.
Old 09-17-2010, 07:21 PM
Banned

White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil

I generally do mine based on mileage rather than time, which is every 30,000 miles, which is pretty typical...

http://www.trustmymechanic.com/brake_fluid_change.htm

http://www.aa1car.com/library/bfluid.htm
Old 09-17-2010, 10:28 PM
Oh hey

TiredToyotaDrvr TiredToyotaDrvr TiredToyotaDrvr TiredToyotaDrvr TiredToyotaDrvr TiredToyotaDrvr TiredToyotaDrvr TiredToyotaDrvr TiredToyotaDrvr TiredToyotaDrvr TiredToyotaDrvr

Originally Posted by Delbanner
I generally do mine based on mileage rather than time, which is every 30,000 miles, which is pretty typical...
or 2 years, whichever comes first
Old 09-18-2010, 08:07 AM
Racetracks

Originally Posted by marlinspike
The thing that gets me is MB said to change the fluid every year, the company that makes the fluid says every 2 years (factory fill was the ATE Dot 4 fluid) and the fluid I use says every 3 years (ATE Super Blue). I figure I split the difference by doing every 2.
I'm assuming MB is saying every year because they can't guarantee that people will use the factory fluid and will instead maybe use DOT3 (which has a 1year change interval).