Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Sir Fabrik8, I need your assistance

Old 12-23-2010, 05:25 AM
woot! :D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these parts
Default Re: Sir Fabrik8, I need your assistance

So I tried to start the car this morning and it wouldn't. It would crank and then fire once but wouldn't catch. I unplugged the maf to try and start it, but it didnt. So i plugged it back in. I unplugged the TPS and it started up, but ran like it did before. Got it into the driveway, and shut it off. Plugged the tps back in and it started up, ran like it did before. I took an old school volt meter to the tps and maf. It looks like the TPS is getting power and so is the maf. However, on one prong of the maf, it doesnt seem like its getting power. I cant tell how much anything is getting because of how old the volt meter is, but the needle does move. BTW, when its running, it shakes like Michael J. Fox and idles high at around 2k, then stumbles down to about 800 RPM and fluctuates between the two with out any change in throttle position.
Old 12-23-2010, 05:26 AM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Those are always the first suspects when it's related to bogging with throttle position or during transients. O2 sensor is also possible, but the symptoms are slightly different. Need more info.

Any difference when the engine is cold versus when it's warmed up, and how does it run at constant throttle?

Please sir, fuck with someone when they ask a diagnostic question without giving much other info first before asking for more info.

Its is much, much more satisfying in the end.
Old 12-23-2010, 02:06 PM

The Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these parts

Changed the TPS. No dice. Now if i press the gas in, it bogs and hesitates like hell and then will accelerate, but it still runs like shit.

And it still stalls most of the time.
Old 12-23-2010, 02:09 PM
TheMuhFuggin♂

burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy

Throwing any CELs?
Old 12-23-2010, 02:16 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by The Guy
Changed the TPS. No dice. Now if i press the gas in, it bogs and hesitates like hell and then will accelerate, but it still runs like shit.

And it still stalls most of the time.
Still sounds like a MAF problem. If you have a factory service manual, spend a few minutes going through the MAF testing steps. You'll need at least a basic multimeter to get results that are worthwhile though. Sears usually has some decent cheap ones for around $20.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 12-23-2010 at 02:19 PM.
Old 12-23-2010, 02:25 PM
baller/dickbutt#69

nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn

it sounds like a maf ...dru had the same issue and installed a new maf from bapgeon and runs like a dream..
Old 12-23-2010, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Still sounds like a MAF problem. If you have a factory service manual, spend a few minutes going through the MAF testing steps. You'll need at least a basic multimeter to get results that are worthwhile though. Sears usually has some decent cheap ones for around $20.
I took a look at the MAF, and it is new. Is it possible its just defective or something or is that too unlikely?

(Sorry, I accidentally edited your post instead my post. I've undone what I did... -Fabrik8)

Last edited by Fabrik8; 12-23-2010 at 02:35 PM.
Old 12-23-2010, 02:32 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by The Guy
I took a look at the MAF, and it is new. Is it possible its just defective or something or is that too unlikely?
Waaaay back in the day when I had a DD Maxima SE, I went through about 4 rebuilt MAFs before I found one that worked properly. So a defect isn't out of the question. It could be a perfectly working MAF with a wiring problem though.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 12-23-2010 at 02:34 PM.