Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

So whats up with my engine revving up and down when idling.

Old 05-10-2006, 12:05 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RoAzn757 has disabled reputation
Default Re: So whats up with my engine revving up and down when idling.

Originally Posted by nuezdaman44
yea i just had that problem with my 2000 lude after doing the coolant bypass mod on the tb...

it was fluctuating between 1000-1500 rpm when warm and after tightening the iacv screw or whatever it is, its stayin steady at 750... its not that hard to do either

Hey so how do you do it.
Old 05-10-2006, 04:42 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Unplug the IACV while the car is running. You should notice a change in idle. If not, you've most likely got an IACV problem. This isn't foolproof because some ECUs react differently when they detect an IACV missing condition, etc. It is a telltale sign if it behaves differently when the engine is hot, cold, etc.
You may just need to clean your IACV screen< but you"d notice a gradual change in idle if that is the case, not a sudden change from one day to the next.
Old 05-10-2006, 06:06 PM
VTEC

diggity dave is on a distinguished road

yeah exactly what the person above said mess with iac unplug trail and error throw another one on they are easy to get at the junkyard!
Old 05-10-2006, 08:15 PM
wharlgarbl

notsogoodfeline notsogoodfeline notsogoodfeline notsogoodfeline notsogoodfeline notsogoodfeline notsogoodfeline notsogoodfeline notsogoodfeline notsogoodfeline notsogoodfeline

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Unplug the IACV while the car is running. You should notice a change in idle. If not, you've most likely got an IACV problem. This isn't foolproof because some ECUs react differently when they detect an IACV missing condition, etc. It is a telltale sign if it behaves differently when the engine is hot, cold, etc.
You may just need to clean your IACV screen< but you"d notice a gradual change in idle if that is the case, not a sudden change from one day to the next.

I am having the same problem with mine. Drives me bonkers. Revs to 2000 and back down to 800..then the CEL comes on...then my freakin throttle "sticks" then the shit unsticks after I rev then the CEL goes off. (which by the way is 14. I love my paper clip)

my car hates me. must be her paint job.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:26 PM
I drive a coupe

Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR)

Originally Posted by onebadk1tty
I am having the same problem with mine. Drives me bonkers. Revs to 2000 and back down to 800..then the CEL comes on...then my freakin throttle "sticks" then the shit unsticks after I rev then the CEL goes off. (which by the way is 14. I love my paper clip)

my car hates me. must be her paint job.
Wow you need to get that fixed... Your throttle is sticking? I hope it only stick's closed, if it stick's open that could be kinda dangerous... Take some fine grit sand paper and sand a little bit on the inside of your throttle body right where the throttle plate stops when fully closed. Don't sand too much... you are just trying to get rid of that black ring where the PCV crap builds up against the throttle plate. Should stop that problem, if not spray some brake cleaner on the spring where the throttle cable connects to the throttle body. Follow up with some wd-40...

As for the code 14, you have a problem with your IACV...
Old 05-10-2006, 08:30 PM
wharlgarbl

notsogoodfeline notsogoodfeline notsogoodfeline notsogoodfeline notsogoodfeline notsogoodfeline notsogoodfeline notsogoodfeline notsogoodfeline notsogoodfeline notsogoodfeline

Originally Posted by Hatch Man(GsR)
Wow you need to get that fixed... Your throttle is sticking? I hope it only stick's closed, if it stick's open that could be kinda dangerous... Take some fine grit sand paper and sand a little bit on the inside of your throttle body right where the throttle plate stops when fully closed. Don't sand too much... you are just trying to get rid of that black ring where the PCV crap builds up against the throttle plate. Should stop that problem, if not spray some brake cleaner on the spring where the throttle cable connects to the throttle body. Follow up with some wd-40...

As for the code 14, you have a problem with your IACV...
I know what the 14 code is. I pulled it and looked it up.

Throttle sticks open. I usually just take it out of gear and stomp the gas and it unsticks. I took the throttle body apart a while ago and cleaned that shit out.. i'm gonna wait until I take the motor down to fix the rest.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:38 PM
I drive a coupe

Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR)

oh stick's open... Wow thats horrible...

for doing your own work...