Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

starter acting up, please help

Old 01-08-2010, 05:38 AM
_______

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
_____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____
Default Re: starter acting up, please help

Dude just get it from a parts store so you have a warranty. Dont get it from Ebay. And remember, if you take it some place like Auto Zone and they bench test it, it may test good because there is no resistance from the fly wheel.

The gear may pop out and spin but once its in the car it needs to be strong enough to turn the flywheel.

Besides you can test it in your driveway it you have jumper cables or a jump box.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:28 AM
Registered Member

h2okilla3 has disabled reputation

dont have either . couldnt get starter out, broke top bolt loose (14mm) bottom bolt wont come loose (17mm) only have a regular ratchet and a 17mm deep well socket, going to advance to see if they will let me borrow a breaker bar and buy a starter. . charged battery to full overnight once more, felt like it was just about to start but no go, engine was trying to crank so i guess starter doesnt have enouph umph to get it to turn fully over. just dont get why the one day it did this i bump started it and it worked all day, yet next morning its completely dead. in my past experience, they dont usually start up without a hammer after the first incident.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:54 AM
Registered member

wright wright wright wright wright wright wright wright wright wright wright

Originally Posted by h2okilla3
dont have either . couldnt get starter out, broke top bolt loose (14mm) bottom bolt wont come loose (17mm) only have a regular ratchet and a 17mm deep well socket, going to advance to see if they will let me borrow a breaker bar and buy a starter. . charged battery to full overnight once more, felt like it was just about to start but no go, engine was trying to crank so i guess starter doesnt have enouph umph to get it to turn fully over. just dont get why the one day it did this i bump started it and it worked all day, yet next morning its completely dead. in my past experience, they dont usually start up without a hammer after the first incident.

I think that you are trying to take a trans bolt out not the starter bolt. It should be two 14mm bolts.

Look at the upper right hand side of the trans case the 2 inch (or so) circle is the starter hole and the bolts are the ones right next to it.

Last edited by wright; 01-08-2010 at 08:56 AM.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:04 AM
Registered Member

nope man, it was a 17mm, very long bolt, removed starter and put in new, didnt work, same exact thing going on, couple times it sounded like it was about to take off , like a puff from the exhaust, and then just keeps cranking. i give up for now since im down another 120$ for the starter. next to think about is spark i guess. had a problem like this a long long time ago, turned out to be the dist. any thoughts?
Old 01-08-2010, 09:09 AM
Registered member

wright wright wright wright wright wright wright wright wright wright wright

So, Reading you orginal post it seemd like you narrowed the issue down to it being the starter. Well since you ruled that out I would take the starter back to the store and tell them that it did not fix the issue. If they will not give you the money back try to get store credit.

Now you can try to see if you have spark, but you will need another person to help you. Do you know how to check for spark?
Old 01-08-2010, 09:43 AM
Registered Member

i have a vague idea, but heres a new problem- the ground on the vavle cover was spliced into 2 places, and the thinner wire just burnt off while trying to crank it over , and now engine sounds rough trying to turn over. im about to yank new starter out since that obviously wasnt it. talked to previous owner and he said original coil was replaced since it died on him,. but he replaced it with another used one, he thinks its the coil but thats not why the ground just fried off the car
Old 01-08-2010, 10:41 AM
Registered Member

so heres where we are at so far- bat. good, starter works, and im definately getting fuel. im going back to the parts store to see if i can exchange starter for ignition coil. if thats not it, then its either dist, or major problems which wouldnt make sense since it ran fine after i had bump started it the last time. i am replacing bad ground when i get back and hopefully new ignition coil
Old 01-08-2010, 11:11 AM
corona connessuer

CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA

this whole thread makes my head hurt. the coil has nothing to do with the cranking of the engine. the battery and starter handle that. a bad ground wire could also be an issue. the coil only sends spark to the distributor. you know for a fact that your battery and connections are good?
Old 01-08-2010, 12:02 PM
Registered Member

yes for a fast, my connections and battery are good, took battery to get tested, now when i put the old starter on it now doesnt do anything. and ive already returned the new one. somebody please tell me what the hell is happening. i fixed the ground by making a new one , now what you turn the key the only thing that happens is the dash lights will come on. im at whits end and out of ideas. does anyone live in the harrisonburg area that would like to make a buck helping me out. this is insain.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:07 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by CHAHONDA
this whole thread makes my head hurt. the coil has nothing to do with the cranking of the engine. the battery and starter handle that. a bad ground wire could also be an issue. the coil only sends spark to the distributor. you know for a fact that your battery and connections are good?
makes ur head hurt? its like 25 degrees outside and ive been out there all day. this car sucks-

started out not starting one morning- so i bump started it by overriding starter.

ran fine all day.

day 2 - wont start. wont even bump start. charged batt overnight

day 3 replace starter- no change , while trying to start part of a ground wire burns off.
put old starter back on, now doesnt even try to crank, just dash lights come on- redid ground.
and put new coil on, still no cranking.

seems like now im going in reverse and im totally fed up. looks like its going to go to a shop so i can get raped by an overpriced grease monkey. least the parts were returnable.!

Quick Reply: starter acting up, please help