Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

starter acting up, please help

Old 01-08-2010, 02:59 PM
mr.saltine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bos74211 bos74211 bos74211 bos74211 bos74211 bos74211 bos74211 bos74211 bos74211 bos74211 bos74211
Default Re: starter acting up, please help

Originally Posted by h2okilla3
ok, just got this accord last night,

tried to start and just wouldn't go, so after checking everything i decided to bump start the car by overriding the starter and it started right up with little effort.

took the car around the block and came back, turned off, left for 5min, and it started right back up. appears to have a new battery

just got back from another trip around town, turned car off several times, no problems.

i just don't want to end up parking somewhere i cant push it and it not start. has anyone had these problems ? i'm probably going to replace the starter anyway but i want to make sure i shouldn't be looking somewhere else.

by the way, it is an h22a1 motor in a 95 accord. 5spd.

any info would be great! thank you in advance.

ADD---

started out not starting one morning- so i bump started it by overriding starter.

ran fine all day.

day 2 - wont start. wont even bump start. charged batt overnight

day 3 replace starter- no change , while trying to start part of a ground wire burns off.
put old starter back on, now doesnt even try to crank, just dash lights come on- redid ground.
and put new coil on, still no cranking.

seems like now im going in reverse and im totally fed up. looks like its going to go to a shop so i can get raped by an overpriced grease monkey. least the parts were returnable.!
Edit/Delete Message
Originally Posted by _____
No where in here has he said he started it with a jumper wire either.

I still believe its a problem in the starting system. Hondas are not that complicated when it comes to starting and charging systems as other vehicles can be.
no its not.the starter works.his signal from the ignition is not working.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:03 PM
_______

_____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____

ok, just got this accord last night,

tried to start and just wouldn't go, so after checking everything i decided to bump start the car by overriding the starter and it started right up with little effort.

took the car around the block and came back, turned off, left for 5min, and it started right back up. appears to have a new battery

just got back from another trip around town, turned car off several times, no problems.

i just don't want to end up parking somewhere i cant push it and it not start. has anyone had these problems ? i'm probably going to replace the starter anyway but i want to make sure i shouldn't be looking somewhere else.

by the way, it is an h22a1 motor in a 95 accord. 5spd.

any info would be great! thank you in advance.

ADD---

started out not starting one morning- so i bump started it by overriding starter.

ran fine all day.

day 2 - wont start. wont even bump start. charged batt overnight

day 3 replace starter- no change , while trying to start part of a ground wire burns off.
put old starter back on, now doesnt even try to crank, just dash lights come on- redid ground.
and put new coil on, still no cranking.

seems like now im going in reverse and im totally fed up. looks like its going to go to a shop so i can get raped by an overpriced grease monkey. least the parts were returnable.!
Edit/Delete Message
I assume by the part you bolded, he popped the clutch

Thats the only way to "bypass" the starter. If he would have used a jumper wire on the starter to start the car, he would have still been using the starter and just bypassing the ignition.

Last edited by _____; 01-08-2010 at 03:09 PM.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:09 PM
mr.saltine

bos74211 bos74211 bos74211 bos74211 bos74211 bos74211 bos74211 bos74211 bos74211 bos74211 bos74211

Originally Posted by _____
I assume by the part you bolded, he popped the clutch
he said he 6umped started it.lol
Old 01-08-2010, 03:10 PM
_______

I edited my post for you.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:13 PM
Registered Member

h2okilla3 has disabled reputation

wow guys lol, you all seem more frustraited then me! anyways no didnt use jumper cables, i pushed the car and popped the clutch. it however started normally the rest of that day. now i cant start it at all. im in harrisonburg VA , ill be more then willing to pay your gas and time to get this going , i cant have it towed due to it being to low/body kit, have to remove half of it to get it loaded. if it wasnt a starter issue, then why the first day did the car start only after i bumped the clutch . now i havent got a clue but i do know that putting a new one on, did nothing. i am completely lost, and in desperate need of a hand! everything that has happened has been clearly written, ill stay on now to keep conversating
Old 01-08-2010, 03:16 PM
_______

Ok so it wont start now even popping the clutch?

Have you checked for fuel and spark yet?
Old 01-08-2010, 03:20 PM
mr.saltine

wow guys lol, you all seem more frustraited then me! anyways no didnt use jumper cables, i pushed the car and popped the clutch. it however started normally the rest of that day. now i cant start it at all. im in harrisonburg VA , ill be more then willing to pay your gas and time to get this going , i cant have it towed due to it being to low/body kit, have to remove half of it to get it loaded. if it wasnt a starter issue, then why the first day did the car start only after i bumped the clutch . now i havent got a clue but i do know that putting a new one on, did nothing. i am completely lost, and in desperate need of a hand! everything that has happened has been clearly written, ill stay on now to keep conversating
well im leavin the house so im the best way u can explain the sit fully.an if u havent figured it out when i come back.ill try to ass. da best i can
Old 01-08-2010, 03:50 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by bos74211
well im leavin the house so im the best way u can explain the sit fully.an if u havent figured it out when i come back.ill try to ass. da best i can
ill be waitng! i know its getting fuel because before after trying to crank it , it stinks fuel out the exhaust. i cant tell you about the spark because i dont have anyone here during the day to help me.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:55 PM
Registered Member

car at the moment is sitting with the old starter, new ignition coil , and hooked up to a battery charger because i believe when i tried to crank it with the new starter, the ground on the valve cover to the engine lit up and melted in half. since then it Acted as if battery dead. so its hooked up and charging, im gonna get right on it in the morning. im startying to think this is really simple and i cant find it, or a catastophe
Old 01-08-2010, 03:56 PM
OMG VTEC!?!?!?!

jtech123 jtech123 jtech123 jtech123 jtech123 jtech123 jtech123 jtech123 jtech123 jtech123 jtech123

get a new 1 simple as that

/

Quick Reply: starter acting up, please help