Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Starter blues

Old 12-18-2010, 11:35 AM
TheMuhFuggin♂

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy
Default Re: Starter blues

Agreed, but if the starter was what started smoking I'm betting it's not gonna want to work 100% now LOL.
Old 12-18-2010, 11:37 AM
ATGATT

marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike

And, naturally, the starter is a PITA to take out. 3 hours on my back on concrete, in this weather.
Old 12-18-2010, 11:39 AM
TheMuhFuggin♂

burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy

If the missing tooth is right there then I'd start looking at the flywheel as then likely culprit.
Old 12-18-2010, 11:40 AM
TheMuhFuggin♂

Jeebus, what kinda car is this? Something German?
Old 12-18-2010, 11:40 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by marlinspike
Taking the starter off to test it on a bench doesn't tell you what it does under load though. Is there a way to test under load? Because Autozone doesn't know it.

What if the missing tooth is there when I pull the starter off?
If it spins on the bench, and it isn't working under load, the starter is bad or you have some strange electrical problem. If the starter worked, it would spin on the bench and start the engine obviously.

I guess it's possible that you're getting too low of a voltage at the starter to actually spin it properly, so the solenoid would connect power to the motor but it would all turn into heat instead of rotation. But usually if that is the case, the solenoid won't engage either..
Old 12-18-2010, 11:45 AM
ATGATT

marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike

Originally Posted by burnoutboy
Jeebus, what kinda car is this? Something German?
Naturally. Mercedes W126 (was a 380SE but has a modified M117 in it).
So, when I took the last starter that gap was front and center FWIW. Anything I can do to make it not a problem short of replacing the flywheel? Like sanding it down smooth? It's only half a tooth that's missing.
Old 12-18-2010, 11:49 AM
TheMuhFuggin♂

If the gap is front and center again when you remove this one I'd say you're in the market for a new flywheel, not sure but I don't see how it could be repaired reliably.
Old 12-18-2010, 11:51 AM
baller/dickbutt#69

nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn

You could weld up the tooth and regrind it down to be a tooth....and take the starter and get a set of jumper cables and hook power to the solenoid and ground it and see if it works...make sure you out your foot on it...it will jump around if not....
Old 12-18-2010, 11:55 AM
ATGATT

Duane, PM me a quote on fixing the flywheel and replacing it if it's something you would do. (I can get a free flywheel).
Old 12-18-2010, 11:58 AM
baller/dickbutt#69

nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn

Ok Richard it will be a few minutes..maybe an hour or so

Quick Reply: Starter blues