Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Struggle to accelerate past 70mph?

Old 10-13-2010, 01:51 AM
misunderestimated

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yamamaha has disabled reputation
Default Struggle to accelerate past 70mph?

I just installed a supercharger on my 2001 tacoma. Its been on the truck for about 3000 miles, and no CEL has appeared. Whenever I try to accelerate it past 60-70mph, the vehicle acts like theres a wall and just has a difficult time trying to go any faster. Its an automatic, but I am sure everything was connected just as it should, but cant figure out what is the problem. Any advise to the solution of this would help me out a bunch. Thanks!
Old 10-13-2010, 02:56 AM
superuser

Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd
Default Re: Struggle to accelerate past 70mph?

it's a toyota "truck"
Old 10-13-2010, 03:28 AM
VaDriven Mayhem

Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous

Originally Posted by Digital4N6
it's a toyota "truck"
I was going to say that but.....

Does this happen under normal acceleration or when you're seeing pressure from the s/c?

If it's under pressure, you might have belt slippage or blowing out the spark at higher RPMs. did you change/re-gap the plugs?
Old 10-13-2010, 04:25 AM
Red is the new green

NoTorque is infamous around these partsNoTorque is infamous around these partsNoTorque is infamous around these partsNoTorque is infamous around these partsNoTorque is infamous around these partsNoTorque is infamous around these partsNoTorque is infamous around these partsNoTorque is infamous around these partsNoTorque is infamous around these partsNoTorque is infamous around these partsNoTorque is infamous around these parts

when he says re-gap the plugs. in a forced induction application you will need to reduce the gap width on your plugs, sometimes bringing it as low as 15 or so. also a colder plug may be in order for you as well. check with your toyota forum and see what they are running for spark plugs. the pressure can and will make your plug not spark.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:05 PM
Registered Member

IntegraLS4dr has disabled reputation

considering max speed limit around is 65.... you should be fine. :-P
Old 10-14-2010, 01:19 AM
misunderestimated

Yamamaha has disabled reputation

Havent changed the plugs yet, but I will definitely check that out.....I wasnt aware that would happen. Ill do a little more research on the yota forums, change the plugs out for whats recommended for this application, and post back with the results. Thanks!
Old 10-14-2010, 06:52 AM
NA No V-tec D

gene is a jewel in the roughgene is a jewel in the roughgene is a jewel in the roughgene is a jewel in the rough

i didnt see any mention of fuel or timing control?
Old 10-14-2010, 07:36 AM
RIP DRAGVA-2016

NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch

Originally Posted by IntegraLS4dr
considering max speed limit around is 65.... you should be fine. :-P
problem solved...
Old 10-14-2010, 08:35 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

So from what you're seeing while driving, is this a problem that only seems to be based on speed, or is this a problem that seems to be based on RPM and/or engine load? Basically, if it's doing this at a certain speed, than it obviously doesn't have the same behavior in a different gear when at the same load, RPM, etc...?

Are there any patterns that you can think of that could narrow down the symptoms to certain combinations of factors?

Most of the things I can think of would be a problem in all gears, like the knock sensor retarding the ignition, the MAF or MAP maxing out, not enough ignition energy, etc. When you're going down the highway at fairly low load and RPM, none of that should really be an issue in a high gear instead of a lower gear, which is the puzzling part. I'm not really sure if Toyota is doing any weird interactions between the auto trans controller and ECU though, which is the big wild card. I can't imagine they'd be cutting engine power based on some sensed auto trans parameter, but you never know.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 10-14-2010 at 08:49 AM.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:59 AM
Registered Member

AWDJosh has disabled reputation

Sounds like limp mode....seeing around 65mph in an auto trans in a truck is gonna leave you around 2800rpms and normally the ecu limps at around 3100rpms. What type of piggyback are you using and what are you doing to "hide" the boost from the stock ecu???

Quick Reply: Struggle to accelerate past 70mph?