Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Synthetic oil

Old 07-14-2009, 01:52 PM
Fidel runs VBPD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Synthetic oil

location and time?
Old 07-14-2009, 03:26 PM
Troll & Run

ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD

Originally Posted by 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY
Won't switching from conventional to synthetic on a high mileage car produce leaks were the previous oil had built up seals?

Probably not worded correctly, but you get the idea.
I read that too in the car bible or something, he later corrected it and said it shouldn't cause to much of a problem. The motor doesnt have 159k miles on it like the chassis, it was rebuilt maybe 20k miles ago from a broken head gasket that the company sold to me.
Old 07-14-2009, 03:49 PM
Registered Member

Tujin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Newbsauce
I switched to Rotella T based on some praise on our forums, as well as some oil testing I've seen. 19 bucks a gallon for 0w-40...not bad. Always use synthetic in the miata.. the jeep can bite my ass and eat the cheap organic stuff.
I run Rotella T as well. Been running 15W40 for about 6000 miles now, about to send a sample in to Blackstone. According bobistheoilguy forums, Mobil 1 recently changed their forumlas, and their new blends are much worse than they used to be. Something to do with new laws limiting the content of oils designed for gasoline cars. HDEOs don't have those limitations, so they can still maintain the same amount of protection.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:07 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY
Won't switching from conventional to synthetic on a high mileage car produce leaks were the previous oil had built up seals?

Probably not worded correctly, but you get the idea.
The common myth says that additives in synthetic oil can clean out junk that's keeping leaks at bay, but that's rare and it should never cross your mind. I've always heard the myth was based on really old engines with really old seals/gaskets that are long overdue for seal/gasket replacement anyway.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:08 PM
<3

elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
The common myth says that additives in synthetic oil can clean out junk that's keeping leaks at bay, but that's rare and it should never cross your mind. I've always heard the myth was based on really old engines with really old seals/gaskets that are long overdue for seal/gasket replacement anyway.
Bingo.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:30 PM
JAY SPEC

00civichatch 00civichatch

Ok, so the oil will go 80 trillion miles without needing changed.

Doesn't the filter still need changed at 3k ?
Old 07-16-2009, 11:02 AM
Troll & Run

ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD

Quick google search says the the premium filter I got can go upto 15k. I won't take it that far even if it is true
Old 07-16-2009, 11:58 AM
HIGH FIVE!

upSLIDEdown upSLIDEdown upSLIDEdown upSLIDEdown upSLIDEdown upSLIDEdown upSLIDEdown upSLIDEdown upSLIDEdown upSLIDEdown upSLIDEdown

I run Mobil 1. I bought my S13 with 156k on it and when I swapped the engine, it had 249k on it and still ran great. Puffed a small amount of smoke on WOT, but no problems. Never had a drop of trouble out of it. I change the oil/filter every 3-4k miles. My cousin ended up with the motor, and him and his dad tore it down and rebuilt it. His dad said it was the cleanest engine he's ever torn down.
Old 07-16-2009, 12:26 PM
Stiff Member

Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock

Achmed says: "Use Dinosaur oil or I kill you!"

Old 07-16-2009, 05:45 PM
Registered Member

lucas9277 has disabled reputation

synthetic ftw!

Quick Reply: Synthetic oil